Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got 3lbs. of both my father just passed and i dont know what to use this powder for got a 45acp i could load too any help would be great

Thanks
Beaveradict

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,660 Posts
Should be able to find data for both on Hodgdon's web site, if appropriate:

www.hodgdon.com

It seems like H380 would be a bit slow, and 4227 perhaps a bit fast, but that's just shooting from the hip (so to speak) as I don't load for the .223. Perhaps other shooters can comment if they've made those powders work.

For the .45 ACP, I would go with something like WW231 or Hodgdon's version, HP38. But there are lots of fast pistol powders that would work, probably just about everything between Bullseye on the fast end and perhaps Unique on the slow end.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the link that does help although did not see load data for those powders and there most likely a good reason why. I also checked a few other cal. to see if there was data for them. There was some data for the h380 for 22-250 which i dont have dies for......yet hehe think ill try it.

Thanks agian
Beaveradict

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
QuickLoad suggests exactly what Mike already said: H380 is too slow, even with a 110% compressed charge, and IMR-4227 reaches max pressure with about a 90% charge. You might use IMR-4227 with the lightest bullets, in the 223Rem, but it's still a tad faster than what you'd want. Both are definitely too slow for the 45ACP but H380 is excellent for the 22/250 and the 4227 could be pressed into service, again with smaller (40gr) bullets.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,113 Posts
H380 has been a standard for the 22-250 for years. Hodgdon liked 38.0 grains of it when military surplus so that's why he labelled it H380 when putting it on the commercial market. My choice for the .223 Rem is Varget, but I understand your desire to use up the powders on hand.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
IMR 4227 is standby powder used in the 22 Hornet. Not the best powder for it but will work in bind. I'm currently trying to find powders that work with 40 grain bullets in 223 Remington. That's one on my list of powders to try for this bullet weight and cartridge. Haven't tried it yet but did try another IMR powder in that area and it showed promise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well im currently using imr 4198 for th 223 19 grains with a hornaday 55 grain fb sp and the results are very good for a crap shot like myself but 5 shot groups can be covered with a quarter at 100 yards..... 22-250 dies are on their way so we shall see how the h380 works..... my guess pretty well

thanks again for the posts
beaveradict

1 - 7 of 7 Posts