Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to test the 224 Valkyrie round in an AR platform, but I wanted a 24-inch barrel to verify the advertised muzzle velocity data. I bought a CMT Tactical 224 Valkyrie upper and mounted it on a CMMG MK4 lower. I finally got a day to break in the barrel and collect velocity data with a Labradar.

Federal Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing 90 grain. Federal lists the muzzle velocity at 2700 fps from a 24" barrel. It says on the box, "Requires 1:7 twist barrel". The listed G1 BC is 0.563. The CMT lists a 2.45" barrel; however, the last one inch is a muzzle break, so the velocity data is from a 23.5" barrel.

Shooting conditions: 71°F, 64% RH, 30.19 in.Hg., at an elevation of 22 feet. [Good sea level benchmark.]

MatchKing 90 grain averaged 2812 fps. [2835, 2805, 2797, 2825, 2798]

Fusion 90 grain averaged 2846 fps. [2849, 2840, 2849, 2829, 2864]

The CMT Tactical upper has a 1:7 twist.

I mounted a Sig Sauer TANGO6 5-30x56mm scope using a Burris P.E.P.R. mount, and the scope cleared the rail with 1/16th" to spare. I was running out of range time, but I wanted to see how the rifle grouped when fired semi-auto from the magazine. The rifle managed a 7/8" three-round group at 200-yards.

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
MatchKing 90-grain averaged 2812 fps [2835, 2805, 2797, 2825, 2798].

Fusion 90-grain averaged 2846 fps [2849, 2840, 2849, 2829, 2864].
The median for the MatchKing is 2805 fps; Standard Deviation is 17.1 fps. The median for the Fusion is 2849 fps; Standard Deviation is 12.9 fps. Looks to me like the Fusion ammo is the better of the two: It is slightly less than 1.6% faster at the muzzle and has a Standard Deviation that is 24.6% less than that of the MatchKing. I'd load-up a bunch of the Fusion and wring it out until you get half-minute (or less) groups.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Group at 200-yards

I shot the Sierra MatchKing at 200-yards to check the group. I did the barrel break in with the Fusion rounds while shooting at a 50-yard target. I collected the velocity data while shooting at the 50-yard target. I also wanted to see how close I got the the G1 BC listed by Federal which was 0.563 for the MatchKing rounds. I got a 0.505 BC for the MatchKings and a 0.440 for the Fusion rounds.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
The median for the MatchKing is 2805 fps; Standard Deviation is 17.1 fps. The median for the Fusion is 2849 fps; Standard Deviation is 12.9 fps. Looks to me like the Fusion ammo is the better of the two: It is slightly less than 1.6% faster at the muzzle and has a Standard Deviation that is 24.6% less than that of the MatchKing. I'd load-up a bunch of the Fusion and wring it out until you get half-minute (or less) groups.
Seems he is already getting that less than .5 MOA. :)

Can somebody post a combined photo of the Valkyrie and a .222 please? And pse accept my ignorance: what are "Fusion" bullets?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Seems he is already getting that less than .5 MOA. :)

Can somebody post a combined photo of the Valkyrie and a .222 please? And pse accept my ignorance: what are "Fusion" bullets?
Can't help with the photo. But imagine a rimless .30-30win cut down quite a bit and necked down to .22 cal.

But the Fusion is just a bullet offering from Federal. I think it may be a bonded bullet? They're fairly cheap and are sold at most places here in the states as a medium/big game factory load. Comes in a bright box with orange and yellow colors on it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...on-308-winchester-150-grain-spitzer-boat-tail

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Can't help with the photo. But imagine a rimless .30-30win cut down quite a bit and necked down to .22 cal.

But the Fusion is just a bullet offering from Federal. I think it may be a bonded bullet? They're fairly cheap and are sold at most places here in the states as a medium/big game factory load. Comes in a bright box with orange and yellow colors on it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...on-308-winchester-150-grain-spitzer-boat-tail
Thank you,

Did not know that Federal sold the bullets separately. Federal Fusion is the USA factory loaded ammunition which is most respected here where we only do heart shots at whatever animal through the low shoulder. As an example a 165gr from a .308W will completely penetrate through the shoulders at 180 -200 yards of any of the 12 elk size game animals we hunt with not more than a 4x calibre exit wound and very little meat damage but killing the beast in 20 yards.

I have some telling experience with the disappeared Speer Deep Curl bullet in Colorado with my .280 Rem and having examined the Fusion ammunition bullets I think it is the Deep Curl.

Very well bonded ammunition and a strong jacket - in my experience even better constructed than the Hornady Interbond.

Reactions: Trent12

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
Seems he is already getting that less than .5 MOA.
We're not satisfied 'til all five go through one ragged hole that ain't much bigger in diameter than the bullet...

Reactions: MusgraveMan

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,410 Posts
And pse accept my ignorance: what are "Fusion" bullets?
Fusion are Federal branded bullets. From the ATK days, I'm 99% sure that is a Speer bullet made for a specific marketing segment for them. Never dug enough, but suspect they are the next evolution of the Bear Claw. The family didn't like some proposed production changes to Jack's design, so Speer no longer makes and sells TBBC bullets. RMR bullets pulls and sells lots of their rejected stuff. So under either "flag" you can get some really good deals at times.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

I got very good results with the Fusion out of my T/C Compass 6.5 Creedmor. Budget ammo bought at WalMart although I am still a fan of the Cor Lokt Remingtons. Always worked for me

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I wanted to test the 224 Valkyrie round in an AR platform, but I wanted a 24-inch barrel to verify the advertised muzzle velocity data. I bought a CMT Tactical 224 Valkyrie upper and mounted it on a CMMG MK4 lower. I finally got a day to break in the barrel and collect velocity data with a Labradar.

Federal Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing 90 grain. Federal lists the muzzle velocity at 2700 fps from a 24" barrel. It says on the box, "Requires 1:7 twist barrel". The listed G1 BC is 0.563. The CMT lists a 2.45" barrel; however, the last one inch is a muzzle break, so the velocity data is from a 23.5" barrel.

Shooting conditions: 71°F, 64% RH, 30.19 in.Hg., at an elevation of 22 feet. [Good sea level benchmark.]

MatchKing 90 grain averaged 2812 fps. [2835, 2805, 2797, 2825, 2798]

Fusion 90 grain averaged 2846 fps. [2849, 2840, 2849, 2829, 2864]

The CMT Tactical upper has a 1:7 twist.

I mounted a Sig Sauer TANGO6 5-30x56mm scope using a Burris P.E.P.R. mount, and the scope cleared the rail with 1/16th" to spare. I was running out of range time, but I wanted to see how the rifle grouped when fired semi-auto from the magazine. The rifle managed a 7/8" three-round group at 200-yards.
Keep testing. I'm thinking of getting an upper

1 - 12 of 12 Posts