Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a bag (looks to be around 500) of Bullets. Weight is 53.7 (Beam & Digital) Looks to be FMJ (can see lead core at base of bullet). What has me flummoxed is they measure .225. I want to use them to load .223 rem brass but a little nervous about the size. I have some .224 and they measure at .224. What have I got? Safe to use?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Sisk from Iowa Park, TX made a bunch of different 22 caliber bullets from .223 -.228. Many for the Ackley Improved cartridges. I don't recall any of them being FMJ though.

Font Material property Gas Rectangle Magenta

Reactions: Texanreloader

·
Premium Member
17,338 Posts
You see why you start low when working with different components. I buckled the neck of a 35 Whelen with a 250 gr. Speer that measured .366. It happens but not by the box full unless on purpose. Could be just thing for a shot out varminter.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
You might want to read this link for a little more input: .224 bullets actually measures .225 - safe to use?

Personally, I don't think that extra thou would be a problem, but if your 'established' loads are near the edge of max, back it off about 10% as a start for the new bullets. If you are nervous about using them as is, another option would be to pick up a Lee push through sizing die in .224" diameter, give them a lubing with some case lube, and exercise your elbow a little and you'll have 500 .224" bullets, and have a little fun/experience doing so.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,258 Posts
Just for S&G's, I just grabbed a handful of 50gr VMAX(Pn 22261). Using two different calipers, I can find several that "measure" 0.225".
Get out a quality mic(as suggested in the link above), and you'll see that's an aberration.

Even if they honestly are a thou too large, I'd shoot them. As CC suggested, don't pretend your powder lots are magically always the same, and start low like you should when you switch components.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts