Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can spend about 800-1000 and looking at the anschutz and cz but wondering as to which calibre to get. I've heard mixed reviews from people saying that the lr is not that powerful and wont even kill a rabbit at 30 yards compared to the magnum. But then other people saying that the lr is more accurate and good because it's cheap to shoot. any advice would be great
thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
Any of these cartridges would be just fine for most small critters. I have a Marlin win.22 magnum and I love it! I've killed quite a few coyotes with it, a few wild boar, many *****, many possums, many rabbits, three turkeys, and a mountain lion. The mountain lion fell dead in his tracks at about 40 feet!

So yeah! The .22 wmr gets my vote!

PS.

Since you've got the bucks, get a ruger 77/22, bolt action, .22 magnum, stainless steel with a synthetic stock.

It'll last forever, hold its value, you can add all kinds of accessories. $700-$800

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Depending on what you will ask of the rifle and cartridge, you can spend 1/3 of that amount and achieve your objective. A 22LR, will absolutely kill a rabbit at 30 yards, with a shot to the head or body. Shooting groups the size of a quarter is not particularly difficult with a decent 22 bolt-action. I doubt I will ever spend $800 on a 22 rifle...heck, only a couple of my big-game rigs cost me that much. ;)

·
Registered
978 Posts
For me it is how much will I shoot it. .22LR is the cheapest ammo you can get.
Some of the .22 magnum is getting close to the price of canned 5.56. I need practice and want to hoard a bit, so price matters.

·
Banned
421 Posts
A lot of people like a nice accurate rimfire, me included. Anschutz ia a great choice, but before you buy take a look at the new Weatherby MK XXII. You can get it in .22 LR or 17 HMR if you prefer. Either way you're getting a Anschutz barrel and action, it just has a much nicer stock and comes with swivel studs installed so you don't have to worry about doing it yourself and possibly screwing up the stock.
As far as calibers go, it depends on what you want to do with it. I have one in .22 LR and it will absolutely kill a rabbit or any other small game way beyond 30 yards. I consider 75 yards to be the outer limit for hunting accuracy and killing power, but it will reach out well beyond that with practice and well placed shots. I also have an Anschutz 1517 MPR in 17 HMR that I use sometimes to reach out to 150 yards max for small game. It has a flatter trajectory than a .22 LR or 22 mag, but the 22 mag has more killing power due to a bullet with twice the lead.
I hope that helps. Consider that 22 mag ammo costs over twice that of 22 LR, and 17 HMR is more expensive than that usually. There are a lot more choices in bullets in 22 LR as well. My MK XXII loves CCI mini-mags. YMMV
Here is a picture of my XXII:

Please let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
662 Posts
All of the above? I have three .22lr, two bolt actions and a .22 s/l/lr Henry as well as a .22 Mag Henry and a Savage 93 .17hmr.

As others have mentioned, ammo cost is a concern and the .22LR is probably the most versatile and ubiquitous rimfire on the planet, but when I have to grab a rifle on short notice to dispatch a varmint, my .22Mag is hanging on hooks by the door.

Draw your own conclusions...:)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I''m a big fan of the .22 mag and have .22 LRs as well. The .22 mag haters will say that at $.20 per round you might as well shoot a .223. Well to each his own. I like the .22 mag. Very efficient killer with 40 grain Winchester Hollow Points.

·
Banned
103 Posts
a man needs at least one good 22 rifle..you don t need to spend 800 dollars to get a good one either..little marlin 60 is more accurate than i am..very subject to corrosion though..
if not for that it would be a good choice for survival rifle..its not my cz special,, but
the marlin, kept dry an clean is my second choice as home protection gun..
holds 18 rnds of cci velocitors..
i think now it might be what i use first....if i have to unload 12ga #4buckshot[27, 22 size pellets on a man]
an i can forget my goal of getting through life without killing a man..
this just my thinking on it.. good luck in choice ,whatever it it is..

·
Banned
605 Posts
Well, I'm a .22 kinda guy. I like 'em. Heck, I LOVE 'em. I've never owned or even shot a .17 HMR so I'm not qualified to talk about that. But I own several .22's. I've got 6 in LR and one in the Magnum version of the 10/22. When I want to plink or target shoot I reach for my 10/22 LR version. When I want to hunt I grab the .22 Magnum. Most of my hunting nowadays is for small game, mainly squirrel. I've only shot one squirrel in the body with the magnum. Yeah, really messy. And it's overkill, bottom line. But I often come across fox and coyote and porcupine when squirrel hunting. The magnum does the trick. My personal .22 Magnum is intensley accurate. So, when I go squirrel hunting with it, I limit my shots to the head or neck area. I love squirrel. Bottom line, I'd get both the LR version and a nice .22 Magnum. They don't make the .22 Magnum from Ruger anymore. More's the pity. But I've heard really good things about the CZ itteration, as well as the Weatherby and Anshultz. I've just had good success with Ruger's offerings. If I were in the market for another .22 Magnum and couldn't find another Ruger I think I'd get the Ruger M77 version. Just one man's opinion.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It depends what you prefer

For general shooting and plinking I use one of my many .22 l.r. bolt action rifles. I have several .22 mag. bolt guns and they do a better job on groundhogs. I have handled and used a .17 hmr bolt action and it was cute but too costly to shoot. I never saw a need for a .17 hmr.

if I was going to buy a .22 l.r., .22 mag. or .17 hnr, I would look at the used gun racks in a few gun shops. They show up often at decent prices.

Take care...
Oberndorf

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well, I'm a .22 kinda guy. I like 'em. Heck, I LOVE 'em. I've never owned or even shot a .17 HMR so I'm not qualified to talk about that. But I own several .22's. I've got 6 in LR and one in the Magnum version of the 10/22. When I want to plink or target shoot I reach for my 10/22 LR version. When I want to hunt I grab the .22 Magnum. Most of my hunting nowadays is for small game, mainly squirrel. I've only shot one squirrel in the body with the magnum. Yeah, really messy. And it's overkill, bottom line. But I often come across fox and coyote and porcupine when squirrel hunting. The magnum does the trick. My personal .22 Magnum is intensley accurate. So, when I go squirrel hunting with it, I limit my shots to the head or neck area. I love squirrel. Bottom line, I'd get both the LR version and a nice .22 Magnum. They don't make the .22 Magnum from Ruger anymore. More's the pity. But I've heard really good things about the CZ itteration, as well as the Weatherby and Anshultz. I've just had good success with Ruger's offerings. If I were in the market for another .22 Magnum and couldn't find another Ruger I think I'd get the Ruger M77 version. Just one man's opinion.
Yeah, I hear ya, Sinbad!

.22 mags can wreak havoc upon the little critters. Instead of steak, you have to opt for shredded meat.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A lot of people like a nice accurate rimfire, me included. Anschutz ia a great choice, but before you buy take a look at the new Weatherby MK XXII. You can get it in .22 LR or 17 HMR if you prefer. Either way you're getting a Anschutz barrel and action, it just has a much nicer stock and comes with swivel studs installed so you don't have to worry about doing it yourself and possibly screwing up the stock.
As far as calibers go, it depends on what you want to do with it. I have one in .22 LR and it will absolutely kill a rabbit or any other small game way beyond 30 yards. I consider 75 yards to be the outer limit for hunting accuracy and killing power, but it will reach out well beyond that with practice and well placed shots. I also have an Anschutz 1517 MPR in 17 HMR that I use sometimes to reach out to 150 yards max for small game. It has a flatter trajectory than a .22 LR or 22 mag, but the 22 mag has more killing power due to a bullet with twice the lead.
I hope that helps. Consider that 22 mag ammo costs over twice that of 22 LR, and 17 HMR is more expensive than that usually. There are a lot more choices in bullets in 22 LR as well. My MK XXII loves CCI mini-mags. YMMV
Here is a picture of my XXII:

Please let us know what you decide.
How do you find your rifle compared to the cz and anschutz? I saw one on magnum sports website for 1250, is that a good price? Do you know where your weatherby is made? and do you know what groups it shoots.
Looks like a very nice rifle

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
I own a Marlin model 25 N bolt action with a removable magazine, and synthetic stock. I used to spend my pre-teen years popping the heads off of sparrows at 50-60 yards. It was topped off with a cheap blazer scope 3-9x40, and would not hold zero on any power above 4x, was deadly accurate on 3 power though, now it shares a scope with my 30-30. Has nice open sites to boot. This rifle is so accurate i can easily put 25 rounds inside a nickel at 40 yards, wouldnt be surprised if it will put 100 inside that group if the shooter had the discipline.

I have no idea how a person could justify spending more than 300$ on a .22 lr rifle w/o scope. The only thing you are paying for is looks, i would bet the more expensive .22 lr rifles hold very little if any advantage in accuracy. I would consider a 300$ .22 lr rifle topped with a 250$ scope about the MAX price for any finished .22 lr i will ever have, that is even stretching it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I put my .22 LR's in the back of the closet long ago. I shoot a .22WM and love it, but if I had to do it again, I would get the .17 without a doubt. Much more fun!!!

·
Banned
421 Posts
How do you find your rifle compared to the cz and anschutz? I saw one on magnum sports website for 1250, is that a good price? Do you know where your weatherby is made? and do you know what groups it shoots.
Looks like a very nice rifle
I own a CZ Lux in 22 LR with factory sights which is very accurate, but it's not quite in the same league as the Weatherby. Of course one is scoped and the other is not.
$1250 is way too high! Mine was $899 at Cabela's and I got a deal with a coupon that lowered the price down to $750.
The barrel and action were made in Ulm, Germany just like all other Anschutz rifles. The stock is made in the USA.
I've only sighted it in and done a little informal plinking since then. I sighted it in at 25 yards, and with CCI mini-mags it was shooting one ragged hole that I did not measure.
Overall I think it is a very well built rifle, and is a true bargain when compared to a lot of other 22 rifles in the same class. Look around and you should be able to get one for $899 easily, and with a little patience $799 or less.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks, but I already ordered one, 940 I paid but from a little gun shop. but that is in Australia, are you guys in American because I don't think we have cabela's here?

·
Banned
421 Posts
thanks, but I already ordered one, 940 I paid but from a little gun shop. but that is in Australia, are you guys in American because I don't think we have cabela's here?
Australia? That explains it. Yes, we are in the US. I imagine any US made product would be more expensive there. Just as any Aussie product would be more expensive here.
Good luck with your new Weatherby mate! I hope you win the wood lottery with it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts