Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, I just purchased a Savage mark2 22 with a heavy barrel. I have a scope I will be putting on it, a leapers 4-16X50AO. It has the mil dot reticle, and Im looking for anyone who has shot out to around 200 yards with a .22 and mil dot scope. I know the accuracy wont be anything special, but its still fun to shoot long range.
What i need is a printable chart I can tape to my stock, to let me know of mil dot holdover out to 200-250 yards...or farther than that even.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
This is for a Rim Fire, right? Off the top of my head, you are looking at several FEET of drop at 200 yards. You are going to work very hard to use a very unsuitable tool for what you want to do. Why?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I haven't seen such a table but it wouldn't mean much for your particular rifle and scope and ammo anyway. You'll have to shoot it at the distances you want and record the results ---

I DO take Ground Squirrels at over 150 yards with a very accurate 22 rifle and WW Power Point ammo. I piled up 3 in a row @ 165 yards recently in a light breeze. 200 yards, however, is a whole different world and beyond my equipment's ability.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is for a Rim Fire, right? Off the top of my head, you are looking at several FEET of drop at 200 yards. You are going to work very hard to use a very unsuitable tool for what you want to do. Why?
I dont plan on trying to take any animals at that range, rather just shoot steel and paper for fun. I love tinkering, and i see this as nice challenge.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I would get some of the Aguila Super Max solid plated ammo. At 1750 fps it has about 6-8 inches difference in POI at 100 yards over the standard 22lr load. I've shot this ammo considerably at 100 yard and 160 yard targets and it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would get some of the Aguila Super Max solid plated ammo. At 1750 fps it has about 6-8 inches difference in POI at 100 yards over the standard 22lr load. I've shot this ammo considerably at 100 yard and 160 yard targets and it makes a big difference.
I was actually thinking of using the CCI Velociter ammo. I know it sounds crazy shooting that far with a .22, but I know it can be done, and Im thinking it will also help with a larger caliber rifle at longer distances as well.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I was actually thinking of using the CCI Velociter ammo. I know it sounds crazy shooting that far with a .22, but I know it can be done, and Im thinking it will also help with a larger caliber rifle at longer distances as well.
That would be a good round, I think they are at 1425 fps. The CCI Stinger has a MV of 1640 fps. The Aguila is the fastest 22lr load out there and really makes a big difference when shooting a 20 oz bottles filled with water at 160 yards. When we shoot standard loads at 100 yards we aim 6-8 inches above the bullseye. The Aguila Super Max we aim dead on at 100 yards. You'll have fun with it for sure ! :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Right about the Aguila super max being a very fast 22LR round. Bought a couple of boxes a few weeks ago. Tried it in a couple of rifles. One is a scoped semi-auto and other is an old BSA Martini bull barrel target rifle with a micrometer peep sight. Both, with the right ammo, are accurate rifles. The Super Max didn't shoot well in my rifles. LOL, the cheapo CCI blazer ammo shoots more accurate in them than did the Super Max. Loaned a box of Super Max to a shooting buddy at range who has an accurate bolt 22 with a very nice scope on it. He wasn't impressed with its accuracy either. But like me, he just shot it at a 50 yard target.

Let him try my Martini when he was shooting at an 8" paper plate at 200 yds. I still had the sights set for 200 yards from the day I tried my hand at busting clay pidgeons on the bern. Managed to bust a few of them, but took me around 20 shots to do it. Chuckle, took a lot of clicks of elevation on the micrometer peep sight to compensate for the bullet drop at 200. Think he used Remington/Eley Match 22 ammo in the Martini. All eight of his shots with the Martini hit the paper plate....had around a 5" group when he'd finished shooting. So, yes you can be successful at 200 yd shooting with the right rifle and ammo in a 22.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I had a .17 HMR, which yes, can easily touch out there to those distances. The problem was the price of ammo is climbing around over by me. .22LR ammo is soooooo much more cheaper, and I realized most of my targets (blackbirds, squirrel, other small game) were within 150 yards. So I did some reading up and concluded it can also be done with the much more cheaper round .22.

And I have a .22, a Marlin Model 60SSWT...which is a very very nice rifle, just not the long range platform i was looking for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Savage Mark ii that's going through the 10 day waiting period. I fully intend to shoot 200+ yards regularly with it. It's coming with a cheapish Bushnell scope, but once I have some cash I'll be putting some better optics on it. Something like a good Nikon most likely.

If you're really getting into long range shooting I suggest you do something fairly simple. Trace some target shapes down in a notebook and use them when you go to the range. Record every shot and the variables, IE wind, type of ammo, temp and humidity. Mark on your notebook where approximately you hit the target for each shot. After a few weeks of shooting you'll have a good bit of data you can look over to help you make decisions for ammo/conditions.

I've got 4 or 5 notebooks filled with this kind of info from when I shot as a kid. It's amazingly helpful over longer periods of time for dissecting everything about how you shoot. I try to fill 2-4 pages every time I go to the range. I find it fun since it also allows you to track your progress for groupings, single shots and more. I'm working on writing an android app that will let you collate all the information and give you actual statistics and useful information.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Many years ago when my eyes were pretty good I saw three jack rabbits on a small hill 800 yards distant and I took my Smith and Wesson 2206 pistol with the 4 1/2 inch barrel and pointed it up at about 45 degrees and popped off about ten shots.......The rabbits didn't even flinch.....So much for the long distance 22 caiber shooting ;-)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dan01, that brings back a memory! My brother-in-law and I were deer hunting (back in the mid '80s). We were sitting in the pickup eating lunch when he saw a large buck trotting across a field at some distance. He grabbed his rifle, aimed very high, and shot. He was using a short barreled Ruger .44mag. rifle. The bullet hit the ground approximately 20 feet short of the buck! He said, "Well, I had to try!" I swear, that rack looked like a forest sticking out of that buck's head.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seriously, I think one can have a lot of fun and consistently get accurate shot groups at 100 yards.....I think shooting beyond that is just more for the challenge which can be fun and the stuff of great bragging rights.....I can get 4 inch groups at 100 yards with several of my rifles without any special modifications, however I keep my general shooting from 25 to 50 yards with 1" and 2 " groups or even tighter when I get real serious.

22 caliber shooting is for fun so bang away folks and if some one gets good hits at a mile please post the pics here.;-)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Lots of variables, gun, ammo, scope height above bore, where it is sighted in for the 2nd cross

I use generally:

dead on at 100 yards
150 yards 12 inches low
200 yards 30" inches low

Shooting gophers and pds is a lot of fun. but the drop is changing fast so adding just 10 yards to the distance from 200 to 210 yards means the bullet is going to drop another 6 inches in just 10 yards.

The 10-22 helps with this. I guess the distance then hold on that range, and after that walk it in. Strange how many times that first guess/hold hits within an inch of the target.

good luck

·
Registered
222 Posts
Seriously, I think one can have a lot of fun and consistently get accurate shot groups at 100 yards.....I think shooting beyond that is just more for the challenge which can be fun and the stuff of great bragging rights.....I can get 4 inch groups at 100 yards with several of my rifles without any special modifications, however I keep my general shooting from 25 to 50 yards with 1" and 2 " groups or even tighter when I get real serious.

22 caliber shooting is for fun so bang away folks and if some one gets good hits at a mile please post the pics here.;-)
You should check out 22 silhouette. The 22BPCR division in our club fires at 50 yds, 50 yds, 100 yds, and 200 yds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Last Christmas I purchased a Henry .22 youth for my wife. It's kinda short for me but it's a nail driver! My cousin and I were hunting wood chucks and I had that gun pushing pins at 100 yds. Well there was a huge chuck at around 225yds I held over about 2 foot and let it bang and I'm telling ya that chuck flipped out of the hole. It acted like it had been hit by a 30-06. I was using CCI velocitier. Also the optics are center point. It's no high dollar set up but I've put a lot ad animals to rest with it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Mil Dot and 22LR? Good luck. Long range 22LR? Good luck. I keep it all inside 100M so I know the elevation and the effective range of the 22LR. Long range is left to center fires. 300M+ is my idea of "long range". 22LR won't cover that no matter how much you want it to.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
I say go for it and have fun. When I was a kid, we used to throw an empty paint can in the river and shoot at it with 22s till it went out of sight. It is amazing what you can hit with a little practice. 22s are cheap enough to keep shooting till you hit it. My grandsons and I shoot clay pidgeons at 150 yards which is as far as we can shoot at our gravel pit.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts