Shooters Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I haven't seen such a table but it wouldn't mean much for your particular rifle and scope and ammo anyway. You'll have to shoot it at the distances you want and record the results ---

I DO take Ground Squirrels at over 150 yards with a very accurate 22 rifle and WW Power Point ammo. I piled up 3 in a row @ 165 yards recently in a light breeze. 200 yards, however, is a whole different world and beyond my equipment's ability.
I was an early poster and thought I'd update. In 2018 and 2019 I HAVE shot Richardson's Ground Squirrels @ over 200 yards (207 is the longest). This was done out of a pickup window with my Volquartsen-ized 10-22 and a 3 X 9 scope with a very fine crosshair. Since then, changed to a 4 X 12 scope with MOA reticule -- still not sure that it is an improvement over the plain 3 X 9. I got it mainly for side-adjustable parallax.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is an old thread but still interesting to read. We all know a 22 rimfire isn't accurate past 100 yards.......... At least that's what most believe.

Short video we shot at Rayners Range here in Ohio. Was getting some numbers at the farther distances and got two hits in a row on the 500 yard plate. Chris (my Son) said we should record it for proof since everyone knows it can't be done. Started the video and got 4 more for 6 shots, then let Chris try and his first 2 were hits which made 8 hits for 10 shots. The wind picked up even more and that made hits mostly luck.

ELR rimfire is the latest fad and shooters more dedicated that I are taking it well beyond this.

https://youtu.be/a1y__dUrnMM

Topstrap

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
hello all, I just purchased a Savage mark2 22 with a heavy barrel. I have a scope I will be putting on it, a leapers 4-16X50AO. It has the mil dot reticle, and Im looking for anyone who has shot out to around 200 yards with a .22 and mil dot scope. I know the accuracy wont be anything special, but its still fun to shoot long range.
What i need is a printable chart I can tape to my stock, to let me know of mil dot holdover out to 200-250 yards...or farther than that even.

Thanks everyone
You're probably going to need to chronograph the ammunition you'll be using to get exactly what the velocity from your rifle entails before you will be able to chart the drop at that distance you want to shoot.
A Savage Mark II is the second rifle I received last year, and I've just started fettering out which .22 rimfire ammunition it likes at this point:

·
Registered
3 Posts
My best 200 yard target. Today I scored some cardboard boxes that mattresses come in. I’m going to try 300 yards soon. I already have my dope.
2B340512-2C1B-40FC-8A38-A3C227877E34.jpeg

1825E01C-067E-4B71-87DD-18B39C40A88D.jpeg

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
WOW! That sure [email protected]@KS like a long way off. Can/t even imagine what that 40 grain lead bullet goes through to get that far. 300 yards will be interesting. Good luck in your endeavors. (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
WOW! That sure [email protected]@KS like a long way off. Can/t even imagine what that 40 grain lead bullet goes through to get that far. 300 yards will be interesting. Good luck in your endeavors. (y)
Thank You. I’m going to need it. Wind is the biggest thing in my mind. I plan to be there at daylight in a few days. It seems that’s when the wind is lowest.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
To me shooting 22lr 200yds is akin to launching marbles from a slingshot at 100yd pop bottles, it's fun but there's alot of luck involved when you actually hit the target. Marbles are cheaper and easier to get, you'll get in less trouble with the wife when you and your friends are drinking and shooting a slingshot in the backyard. Both seem like kids fun for adults to me,not that there's anything wrong with that, but that's just me, I could be wrong!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,914 Posts
I can just imagine the elevation required!! :eek:

·
Registered
604 Posts
You fellas must be pretty good with a sling shot. It is not that hard to hit a target at 200 yards with a 22 lr (on a quiet day). The drop I would guess is akin to a 308 at 600 yards. I do it on my 10" steel at 200 yards just a$$in around using Kentucky Windage. Not saying that I hit it every time or have to make a few dust adjustments, but I can hit it. Not quite the same feat as shooting a 45/70 at a thousand though.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts