Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you guys have used the 240 Weatherby for hunting Axis Deer. I am in Australia, and am going on an axis deer (known as chital down here), and will be using a 240 Wby. I am wondering what the best projectile will be to use on this thin skin, light framed deer. I want to use something from 85 - 100 grains in weight. I do not want to do too much meat and skin damage as I will be also shooting female deer for this purpose.

Thanks,

Reece

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,720 Posts
Heaviest bullets you can find, and don't hit the parts you plan on eating. Might try to experiment on pigs first? There are a lot of 6mm bullets available here, and some of them will go to pieces on 100 lb. whitetails when using a 6mm Rem. Your weatherby will be a bit more stressful on bullets.

I would definitely go with premium bullets. I can make the 6mm work with cheap stuff and short barreled gun, but your weatherby is another critter indeed.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Remember Butch Cassidy and the Sundance KID when Butch blows the railroad car and safe to smitherines? " sure ya used enough dynamite there, Butch? Yes a good bullet or careful shooting should work fine!:D

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,131 Posts
My 6mm/284 pushes a 100 gr Hornady Interlock along at 3390 fps without showing any pressure signs and is a deadly whitetail deer combination. Would imagine the whitetail would equate to your chital. Steering clear of the bigger bones, the bullet performs nicely. Pencil sized entry hole - quarter sized exit. Never have recovered one to see what happens to the bullet. The interior of the body organs look like a grenade went off!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This hunt is actually in February next year. I will be using my 7mm Rem Mag (overkill but what are ya gonna do?), and my dad will be using the 240. I will be doing all loading for it though. My guide has advised me not to use any sort of ballistic tip bullet. I am thinking maybe just a simple yet effective, sierra gameking bullet, or something that I can find in 100 grains.

Come to think of it, I may have to buy a 7mm-08 to take on this new hunt....something for me to ponder on.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I think you would find the Sierra GK very accurate, but in my experience, it's not a great deal "tougher" than the Nosler Ballistic Tip. For the higher velocity you'll get from the 240 Weatherby, I'd be looking along the lines of a Partition or Accubond. If your dad is an experienced shot on big game, I don't see a reason you'd need a different gun, just a bullet that will hold together and penetrate well. If he's fairly new to hunting, or like an uncle of mine, prone to being very excitable, a 7mm-08 might be a little more forgiving, if the shot goes right on the point of the shoulder, instead of behind it.

Put 'em where they belong and neither of your guns are too small, or too big...they'll work just fine.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I use plain Hornady interlocks 100gr in mine and do not have to much trouble with meat damage as long as you don't hit too many big bones. One of my favorite whitetail rounds. Good luck Jim

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
A Barnes TSX might just be the ticket. The monometal may hold together best for you.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Take a look at the Hornady GMX bullets , They should be just the ticket if they work as advertised ! I haven't tried them yet myself , but I plan to as soon as I land a new JOB !

·
Registered
38 Posts

you will do fine i shoot 275LB whitetails with a 22-250 using 55 Grain hornady sst's and i agree with the response above mine go with the new superformance from them and remeber shoot placement is key kill anything in the as long as you hit it in the right spot so happy hunting P.S. an object is only as strong as it's weakest point

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys,

I have no doubt the 240 is fine for chital deer, but my main concern is having a bullet that is going to perform fine and not do too much meat damage. I am thinking of using the barnes ttsx in it, or a nosler partition in 100 grain. I will concentrate on placing the shots correctly to make sure meat damage is minimal. This gun will also be used on the same hunt for pigs, so I think either of those projectiles should cover pigs too.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I use the Barnes in all my very fast guns just to avoid excess damage, they usually shoot very well and always perform flawlessly at any distance. The do cost an arm and a leg though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LandRoverKing

What bullet did you use in the 243? Did you find it did much damage?

Would you use that same bullet again for that species?

Cheers

·
Banned
397 Posts
Red,
Nosler makes a 100 grain partition. Don't know if you can get them
where you are. They have always worked for me in any caliber.

Zeke

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nosler partitions in 100 grain are the ones that seem like the best choice so far. Either those or the barnes TTSX in 85 grains. I think I might shoot both and see which is most accurate and stick to that.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The .240 Weatherby will mirror the 25-06 in any bullet weight that is common to both. The cases are NEARLY identical. Volume being where they are closest. Will work very well for reaching and pounding medium sized game. If accurate, a lead free bullet would be best for what you describe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
240 weatherby

I own a 240 and have shot plenty of deer with the 100 gn Nosler Partition behind a load of Rel 22. Does the job.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts