Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi has anyone tried 2400 in the ,41 magnum ??
I have a old Lymen 215 gr bullet mould and several cans of 2400 , zorro

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
You'll have to look in a modern loading manual for current max. loads. Been some thought that today's 2400 might not be quite the match to old-time 2400.

For many years 18gr. of 2400 and a hard cast 210-215gr. bullet has been a standard full-charge load, with the old model 57 still working just fine. Maybe I'm just too hard-headed to change what's been working fine for 35years.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I have used 2400 in the 41 mag, but prefer H-110/w-296

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
I'm going to guess that the mold is the old Lyman #410610 gas check bullet. I got real tired of tryng to find .41gas checks, so had the gas check section of the mold removed to make it into a plain base.

Little 4" M57 really was nicer to shoot with 2400 than with H110 or 296 loads, and once getting those SWC's up to 1200fps, didn't find much of advantage to going any faster (would just come out the other side of a pig going faster).

At the same time, was using a old 8 3/8" M57 to occasionally knock down steel critters. On that one, with that long barrel, the H110/296 loads were useful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have only been loading for a couple of years but .41 mag is what got me started. I have had good luck with Remington brass. I bought a new bag of Winchester brass this week and was disapointed with it. Length varied from 1.280" to 1.290". Is that common? The book calls for it to be 1.290". One piece was so buggered up I couldn't use it. A buddy of mine and I each got a brick of Winchester .22LR a few months ago and upwards of 5% of it wouldn't fire. I know all of it comes from different places, but I'm getting a little leary of ammo and stuff from Winchester. Back to the brass, I have been wanting to try some Starline.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I use 2400 powder in my .41 with great results.As for brass I have not had any issues with Winchester brass in the past but I do prefer Remington brass,I have .41 mag,32/20 and some other handgun brass from Starline.I am impressed with the quality and will not hesitate to order more when the need arises.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi guys , interseting with remington brass , i had at one time shot bullseye and hated remington brass, ithe necks cracked when the winchester and federal did not , many thanks, zorro

·
Registered
243 Posts
I haven't shot much lead through mine, but several cans of 2400 a while back. Now just using the 296 for everything.

I have used all makes of brass. Once upon a time I preferred Winchester to most, but through the years have gone to Starline for just about everything.

Most of the splitting I have found, occurred do to over working the neck with the expander and crimp. I have my dies set to put just enough bell on the mouth that I can feel it with my fingernail, which isn't much, and it allows the bullet to seat easily with out crunching the case. My crimps are also lighter than a LOT I have or do see. I simply put enough roll on the case mouth to hold the bullet in place right at the bottom edge of the cannalure. This has also greatly improved the accuracy of the loads.

Good luck hope this helps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am currently working up a reload using 250 gr lead no-gas check bullets. Looks like 14.5 grains of 2400 will yield the better group. One ragged hole at 50 yards from the bench. bullet size is .412" and the shooting is done with a Marlin 1894 carbine.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I use 2400 exclusively in my 41 magnum Redhawk. I use mostly R-P brass and CCI 350 or Fed 155 primers. I load 215 SWC from 11 grains [about 800fps] to almost 19 grains for full power loads.

A major reason I like 2400 is because it is so flexible in the 41 magnum with none of the dangers of 296 or H110. Any powder that can send a 215 grain hard cast lead bullet from 800 fps to 1400 fps, and 210 grain jacketed to 1500 fps, and a 240 grain hard cast to 1400 fps is well worth having in your inventory.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I started my reloading passion with the .41 Mag and 2400. Used to use a Lee Handloader, 215 gr LSWC and my 6" M57 loading in the barracks at Ft. Bragg in the mid 80s. Used to daily get back from Arabic language school, go shoot 100 rds at the sand pits then tap out another 100 rds that night. I get about 15 loadings through my cases before I retire them (first 5 max, 5 mid range, 5 at around 900fps) Cases are R-P, Win, and Starline (few PMC). Just never have the time to enjoy shooting anymore (stay deployed).

CD

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
I have intentions of working a load 2400 in my 41 sometime soon. 100 new cases are primed with WWLP and are ready.

The 2400 that I have is a "blend" of an older lot# with a new lot# (about 1/4 lb old to 1 lb new +/-). Home cast Lee 217 grain SWC.

My intention is to start at 14.5 grains and see what I get for speed. Work up to 1150-1250 fps or so if it shoots good.

If that first shot exceeds 1250 fps, I'll re-think the project or just go back to Bluedot.

Folks reading this should be aware of http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=49357 regarding Bluedot in the 41.

It has been awhile since I've used 2400 in mine. Worked fine some years ago. What is old is "new again" maybe?

This for safety; CAUTION: This post discusses loads or load data that equals or exceeds published maximums for the cartridge(s) mentioned. Neither the writer, The Shooter's Forum, nor the staff of The Shooter's Forum assume any liability for damage or injury resulting from using this information. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DUPLICATE THE DESCRIBED LOADS without first working them up from a published safe starting level charge while watching for pressure signs. If you don't know how to do that, don't try.

Cheezywan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts