Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
    Just wondering if anybody has used this combo. How was velocity & accuracy? I suspect H110 would give a little more oomph, but I hate to buy a pound just for one caliber. I could use the 2400 in reduced cast loads in the rifles.

Thanks,  IDShooter

·
Registered
217 Posts
ID,
   One of my favorite loads for stiff .38 special loads consists of 13.0 grs 2400, over a 173 gr. Keith bullet(use only in .357 guns). Accuracy is amazing, and they clock out at 1260 fps. I would think a few grains more of 2400 in the mag case would give the same results, accuracy wise, with more velocity. Have tried H110, but accuracy not nearly as good. Same holds true for the .41 mag.

You're right about the versatility of 2400. Great in anything from .06 thru the .45-70.

I have used this bullet in the .35 Rem., loaded over ReL 7. So far, I've pushed it up to about 2150 fps, am hoping to get 2300+, with more powder, and load work-up. Accuracy runs about .5" at 50 yds., with peep sights, and 1-1.5" at 100 yds. Puts a little punch into the .35 Rem.

Jeff

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,453 Posts
ID, if you can't get the accuracy with the 2400 loads, do yourself a favor and go ahead and get some H110/296.  I get some fabulous groups with that bullet in .357 w/296.  Experiement a little and if you go that route, send me a note and I'll share the load data.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, ID:
   Don't use Winchester Small Pistol Magnum primers with 2400. Things can get spooky real fast. I'm able to use more powder with CCI 500s, Winchester WSPs and CCI 550 magnums without pressure signs.

Bye
Jack

·
Beartooth Regular
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. It seems my decision has been made for me for the time being - the local gun store doesn't have any H110 or W296 right now so I guess I'll try the 2400. If that doesn't work out I'll be in touch Mike.  :)
     Jack, thanks for the primer tip. I have several hundred of the CCI 500's so that's what I'll use. CCI is the only brand the store in town carries.
Thanks again, I'll report back!      IDShooter

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's been a couple of months since this thread started so I hope it is still pertinent.

I have a load that is very similar to what you want.

Cast Performance 187 gr. wfngc. (very similar to BTB)

WSP primers

new starline brass

13.5 gr. 2400

In a 16" Win. 94, this gave incredible accuracy at 50 yards. Less then 1" 6 shot groups.

Average velocity was 1535 fps.

Take care,
Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts