Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with shooting a 243 with a 1 in 9 barrel paired with a bullet that is marked as only for a 1 in 8 or 1 in 7 barrel?? I know the possible issues I just want to see if anyone has has success with it.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
What bullet are you shooting that is marked for only 1:8 or 1:7 twist? I know the 1:9 twist that is standard on most .243 rifles will stabilize a 100gr bullet but if you're shooting something longer/heavier, it "might" not. Only way to really know is to load some up and shoot 'em. :)

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,133 Posts
Sierra makes bullets with certain twist rates specified for that product.

A .243 107 gr HPTB designated for a 7" - 8" twist

A 284 175 gr HPBT for 8.5" barrels

A 22 77gr HPBT for 7"-8" twist

A 22 80 gr HPBT for the same

A 22 90 gr HPBT for 6.5" twist

A 30 210 gr HPBT for 10" bbls

A 30 240 gr HPBT for 9" twist

A 338 300 gr HPBT for 10" bbls

·
Registered
243 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with shooting a 243 with a 1 in 9 barrel paired with a bullet that is marked as only for a 1 in 8 or 1 in 7 barrel?? I know the possible issues I just want to see if anyone has has success with it.
One thing on the bullets marked in that fashion is they are generally HP in design and are longer than a round nose or lead tipped of similar weight. The longer bullet will require more spin to stay stable over the course of the path to the target.

It is possible that you might get one brand marked 1-8 to shoot at a higher velocity in a 1-9 than the same weight standard bullet at lower velocity. But your going to have to push it hard, and it won't necessarily mean that another brand of similar bullet will shoot well.

I have shot several types of lead tipped 105gr bullets through mine, however when I tried a 107gr HP it was a dismal failure. Did make some different looking holes in the target though. The length is what is going to get you. I have found that "some" Berger's which are posted to require a faster twist than I had in a particular barrel, did shoot well, but only at closer ranges. The further they went the wider the groups got due to the bullet getting unstable as it went along and lost velocity. The Berger site post the twist required for optimum performance of the particular bullet listed. Some will shoot anywhere from good to only OK in different twist, but it is more a function of how fast they are being driven and how far they are actually being shot. As mentioned once they start slowing down all bets are off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts