Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a batch of 243 win brass recently .. de primed, tumbled then resized to 35 cal. I done at least 100 or more of these
20210604_133959.jpg
and have never seen this before .. I believe the rifle these spent cartridges were fired from must have a really ruff neck .. I hate to say it but it looks like someone had been nareling the inside chamber neck . What the heck.. anyone else see this before. . I gess it could be just eat up from neglect

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Are the cases one brand or several different ones? Haven't seen anything like that, but it seems like brass just isn't what it used to be. I've seen more odd ball problems with modern brass than ever before.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Three different brands. . ppu, winchester, and Remington. . Looks like they all came from the same rifle ... I'm not concerned just curious. . Kind of interesting. . New one on me .. my gess is the rifle was badly neglected. . Rusted or corrosion. . What's your thoughts. .
20210604_150916.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,759 Posts
That's one way of slowing down a machine gun. ;) It's possible the line just below the roughness marks the start of a Stelite liner.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that's interesting. . ☺ .. but these are 243 win that I had run through my redding 35-300 full size die ... . I just hit a few of them with green scotch bright too see what different it would make
20210604_152841.jpg

·
Registered
745 Posts
Was it rough enough that you could feel it, or just looked weird?

·
Premium Member
15,759 Posts
Is the same pattern visible before they go through your die? Looks snaky to me. ;)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I should have payed more attention. . But this is a Redding custom die I've loaded around 7000 or more rounds with it and there all smooth. . And yes you can just barely fell the roughness With your fingers . Here's a couple of rounds I loaded using the same die . below...And in the above pic the part of the neck that was shoulder is smooth. . Only the upper half of the neck is pitted.. that part was the original 243 neck .. sorry about my photography skills
20210604_192239.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,759 Posts
It looks to me like it was over-cooked in an annealing process. The same pattern is seen in steel scale during heat-treat.
So, this is a .358Win with a longer neck?
Maybe somebody is spying on you through bar coded brass! 😁

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Never thought of that but makes sense. . Yep.. I've seen a dry bearing race spin on a axel and look the same way called Goulding .. funny though the brass looks once fired .. and no aneled or discoloration. . Thanks JBelk well go with that ..

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is two finished 35-300 brass made from 243 winchester. . One on the left is fireformed one on the right is not .. looking closely at the shoulder area you can see one is rounded the other is more defined.
20210606_200402.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts