Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
23 Posts
I hunt whitetail deer here in Texas, granted they aren't too big in body but I have yet to have one walk off.  I use a Speer 100 gr boattail at about 2950.  The bullet holds up and has always left a significant exit wound.  Most of the time there is a good spray of blood and lung matter on the off side of the entrance wound.  I have been very satisfied with the Speer bullet in the 243.  I have several other caliber's to choose from but I just enjoy shooting my 243 in Rem 700 bdl.  BTW its bbl length is 22".

Bill

·
Banned
23 Posts
Bill Lester,

I don't take offense concerning your comments about the 243 not being a good deer cartridge even though my experience would be certainly contrary to that opinion.  My question is have you ever hunted deer with the 243 or are you just stating personal bias?  The reason I ask is I have found that many people make this type of comment without having experience.

Although, I tend to agree with you if one uses anything other than 100-105 gr bullets.  The others are intended for varmints and should not be used for deer size game.  I could say the same about using 75 gr bullets in the 250 or 87 gr bullets in the 260, etc.

I have found the 243 has been more than adequate for whitetail here in Texas.  As you probably know here in Texas many people consider the 22-250 to be the cats meow for whitetail hunting.  I guess with the proper bullet they might be.  But I have a mental bias against doing so.  But I have never used one on deer so I can only state my bias.

Just a point or two that I take into consideration regarding such issues.

Again no offense taken and certainly none intended in return.  

Good Hunting

Bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts