Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I bought my 12 year old a Remington model 7 youth rifle in .243,and he took his first deer with it adoe at about 70 yards. I loaded him some Barnes 90gr. X-bullets for it,he made a great behind the crease of the shoulder shot.The bullet exited the other side but the exit was only the size of a dime,it took us almost an hour to find her because there was hardly any bloodtrail at all to follow.The deer weighted 117lbs. field dressed on certified scales.Now finally to the question,with the 181/2 in. bbl on this gun what do you recomend I load for it this season that will expand because I won't be using the x-bullet out of it .Any idea how much velocity this short barrel is loosing compared to the 24 and 26 inch barrels that are listed in the load manuels. I can use all the help I can get,my son is reved up and ready to hunt and shoot a new load. thanks for any help!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
   I think my problem has been solved,I talked my son into trying my Ruger m77 international that has been in the safe a couple of years .The rifle is a 308 and I loaded him up some 150 gr ballistic tips with a starting load that I have found to be accurate in this rifle,over my chronograph they average 2670,about what a 300 Savage will do and he is grouping about 13/4 at 100 yards which is about as good as this rifle is capable of.
    Thanks for the responses.I did not mean to start a debate on the 243,I killed over 30 deer with an old Savage 243 when I started hunting some 30 odd years ago and never lost one.The deer were small and plentiful averaging about90 to 110 pounds live weight,I actually used Sierra 85 grain hollowpoints,but that was back when I could see good and head shot most of them at about 30 to 40 yards.The land I hunted was horribly over populated with does and (gimp) racked bucks,all spikes,3 pointers or 5 and 6 point racks that would litteraly fit in the palm of your hand.
  Tkanks once again,  Bubbadoo,Tillman

(Edited by bubbadoo at 9:17 am on Oct. 19, 2001)

(Edited by bubbadoo at 9:21 am on Oct. 19, 2001)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts