Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .243 Remington that was worked on by a very highly rated gun shop, I won't say who, but also had military contracts. The Remington 700 is an older model without the new style trigger, the bolt face was squared and also the threads were trued. The barrel was cut to 16 1/2" and I bought it from the person that had the work done to it. He was apparently shooting Long Range with this rifle. The barrel is in excellent shape, lands and grooves and is not shot out. I have tried 100 grain factory loads, Hornady 75 grain ammo, and am now reloading 60 grain flat base hollow points. I just began working loads but it doesn't seem to like the heavy ammo. The 60 grain I have a load that prints 3/8" at 100 and have loaded up 1 grain and down 1 grain. OAL 1.60 using Hodgdon H380. Staying within' the safe zone. I have not loaded anything max. Can anyone shed any light on the barrel, load? And the barrel is 1/12 twist rate. Thank you for answering if you can. James

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't find original owner

I have tried to locate the original owner but have not had any luck. I am still looking and also trying to find the gunsmith. He worked at Aurora Tactical.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have checked the twist with a piece of tape for a flag and measured when it made one revolution, but am not sure I am testing twist correctly.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I have checked the twist with a piece of tape for a flag and measured when it made one revolution, but am not sure I am testing twist correctly.
Provided the rod you used rotated instead of slipped over the rifling, then you are testing correctly.

1-12" is fairly slow, lighter weight bullets is where I would start. I think most Remingtons used a 1-in-91/8" rate of twist.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
6mm Remington? .243 Winchester?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Remington help

.243 remington. I am going to make sure that I am measuring twist rate correctly. I understand most remington .243's had a 9-1/8 twist rate so I need to insure I am reading correctly. My patch is pretty tight but it could be slipping. Is there a better way to measure twist rate?

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
MM-- I THINK he has a M700 Remington in .243 Winchester caliber but the barrel must have been changed to have a 1-12 twist.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually I was wrong on the twist rate. It is a 1 in 9 3/8" twist. I was measuring from the muzzle end and it has a lazered brake on the muzzle and I was incorrect the way I was measuring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts