Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have come into quite the supply of IMR 3031 as well as cor-lokt 100gr bullets and cant find a load compatable with both and was wondering in any one could help?

·
Registered
392 Posts
www.reloadammo.com has this data, which is probably older IMR data since Hodgdon no longer lists data for 3031 and a 100gr.

100 grain JSP (Speer Spitzer boat-tail)
IMR 3031 35.5 gr. 2,825

This is a "max" load so reduce 10% to start.

I may be able to dig up some other data when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
As a low-expansion ratio case, the 243 is happier with powders slower than 3031. It would be usable but not ideal with light bullets in mid-range loads, but that's about all.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
My "very old" manual shows a max load of 35.0 grains and 2869 fps with 100gr bullets. That was in a universal receiver with 26" barrel

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it it in a 243, it's going to drop your velocity a couple of hundred fps on a max load because it's too fast. I would not expect much for accuracy either.

Now if you want to try a powder that has proven to be fantastic in a Tikka T3 Lite, 243, it's reloader 17. I'm shooting that with 95gr Noslers and it has outstanding accuracy and very good velocity. I know that's not doing any for you 3031. Buy you a 30-30 lever action and use the 3031 in that. I used it in my Marlin 336C and it work great.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I may be able to dig up some other data when I get home tonight.

Here's what I have.

From IMR's own 1980 data:

Fired in a 22" barrel with Remington "NFP" (new factory primed) brass

100gr Rem Core-Lokt PSP

Max load: 35.5gr IMR-3031, 2825fps, 51,300cup

From Hornady's 3rd edition, also copyrighted 1980:

Fired in a 22" Winchester M70 with Frontier brass and Federal 210 primer

100gr Hornady SpirePoint

Start load: 32.1gr for 2,600fps
Max load: 35.0gr for 2,800fps

Sierra's current loading manuel shows the following for their 100gr Spitzer and BT Spitzer:

Start load: 29.6gr for 2,500fps
Max load: 35.0gr for 2,900fps.

These are fired from a 22" Remington M700 with Federal brass and Federal 210 primers.

Good luck...

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
With todays powder and bullet costs, coming into "quite the supply" of either is good news.

3031 is great stuff in all sorts of cases, with all sorts of bullets, and 100gr Core Lokt's are as good as any cup and core bullet ever made, but they weren't made for each other. It'll work, but not the best.

If you shoot varmits, the 3031 will turn in real good numbers with a 60gr Sierra HP, and the Core Lokt's will do a great job with a 4350 or 4831.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Do you happen to have a 30/30 Winchester laying around, and a whole buncha 170gr bullets? ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since your all on the imr 3031 powder i have a metal can full of it still factory sealed with a 4 dollar pricetag on it still looks good and burns like powder will its age bring it down to being more compatable with 243 or should i just stick it in the 30-06

·
Premium Member
15,073 Posts
3031 can be used in most anything. It is very comparable to stick cordite and several other powders, BUT, it's too fast for big cases with small holes.
3031 is a powder that can get you in trouble quickly with a very small increase over 'max'.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Well, my "help" is to say that although you can get almost any powder to go "bang" and launch a bullet down a barrel, my experience with the .243 says that 3031 is not the powder I would start with, and not the powder I would spend a lot of money and time trying to get to work really well. It MAY, of course, work just fine for you, but it's not my expectation that it will be best.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Even if you are able to safely launch a bullet in a .243 win with it, I'd not want to personally try it. The .243 is meant / designed to use slower burning powders than 3031, and when you get into powders that exceed the typical burn rate class, you then get into loads that can go from what appears to be safe and functional to having unpredictable pressure spikes. To add insult to injury, trying to use it with 100 gr. bullets is even more so pushing the limits of what's seemingly safe and predictable.

Use it in the 30-06, that cartridge can function much better and far more predictably on a bit faster burning powder than the .243 win will.

SMOA

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
This is my approach when trying a powder for which I can not find data and I always combine this with a chronograph keeping a close eye on spikes or erratic numbers combined with careful examination of the brass after each shot. I do not recommend anyone follow this and if they do, they do so at their own risk

From and old reference book and a source online I have used with good results, 100gr cast gives the following:

H4895: 24.0gr Max, 2012fps
Reloader 7: 21.0gr Max, 1970fps

These 2 powders neatly bracket 3031 in burn rate. H4227 is faster than R7 and gives a Max of 17gr at 1926fps.

So, H4895 using a 100gr cast gives a Max of 24.0gr
H4895 using a 100gr Jacket gives a Max of 33gr

Keeping this in mind, I look at a reloading powder burn chart and published data. I find Varget data with this bullet and since Varget is about the same burn rate (not the same powder so keep this in mind) I look backwards over bullet weights and notice the charge weight in grs goes up as the bullet gets lighter. I also notice that with Varget, once the load has dropped to 31gr it remains steady. Looking at the recommended starting weights for Varget we see:

55gr: 41.0gr
65gr Jacketed: 38.0gr
70gr: 38.0gr
80gr: 36.0gr
90gr: 34.0gr
100gr: 31.0gr
105gr A-Max: 31.0gr
107gr: 31.0 gr

Using this information and remembering that these are Starting charges which would require a Reduction in charge weight to start of 10% as we are using a different powder with the same approximate burn rate and different powders exhibit different characteristics when reducing or increasing burn rate, a reasonable starting point keeping this in mind can be deduced using the extra measure of reduction for safety and the closest slower powder using the 100gr jacketed bullet and the even lower charge weights using cast bullets. Also keep in mind that some powders specifically warn against reducing charge weights below published data (H110 comes to mind). Most, but not all, do not recommend a reduction of more than 20% under starting weight and there is really no need unless you are going to a fast powder like Red Dot for target loads using cast and possibly a filler.

IMR3031 is not a powder that is recommended with the .243 but that does not mean it won't work. I keep IMR 3031 and 4064 on the shelf along with Unique specifically because there is little outside of the big magnums I can't load with these 3 if I have to. Your results most likely will be unsatisfactory accuracy wise but might be target plinking loads.

This is my approach when trying a powder for which I can not find data and I always combine this with a chronograph keeping a close eye on spikes or erratic numbers combined with careful examination of the brass after each shot. I do not recommend anyone follow this and if they do, they do so at their own risk

·
The Shadow
7,929 Posts
Rookie,
Especially when you have to dig several pages back in time, pay attention to the dates on threads. If you still think you can help the OP from nine years ago then respond, otherwise you should begin your own thread and ask your question there.

Your answer is no. powder that old was not made by the people who make it today, and aging isn't magically going to make it more suitable to what you wish it could be. It is what it is, and gets crankier with age.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I know that this is an old thread but on the off chance rookie is still paying attention he might find some help?

·
The Shadow
7,929 Posts
Rookie is the name of the gent who resurrected the zombie thread that everyone has responded to, Jon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts