Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Scotland~

I see Winchester and Browning have introduced .223 & .243 WSSM, although they seem to boost a flat trajectory im not sure shooters will flock to buy them seeing how cheap and available .223 and .243 ammo is.

To be honest im disappointed :( i think they have really missed an opportunity, i would like to have seen them introduce a .25 WSSM !;)

Surly a 25 cal would have been a far more useful cartridge ?:confused: bullet weights better able to deal with Deer than the 100gn/105 gn .243 :rolleyes:

Englander

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Agreed. But the utility of any short magnum is a serious question for me. Other than providing new sales, what do they really do that any number of other cartridges already don't. To me they're all about marketing and nothing more.

·
Registered
480 Posts
wssm

Unfortunately I believe that Win/Brown has missed the boat by jumping on the short mag craze. If the 223 was too slow for you how about the 22-250 or the Swift. The same goes for the 243 what was wrong with the 243/6mm could be fixed with the 240 Weatherby or the 6mm-06/6mm-284 wildcats. All the short magnum craze is to increase interest into a market where new customers are not increasing as rapidly as the gun makers need to sell their wares.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The WSMs and WSSMs accomplished two things. One, to increase the sale of firearms and two, give us another cartridge to explore. I've heard rumblings from the BR crowd about necking the WSSM to 30 caliber. If this shows any accuracy improvement in the 30 cal ranks is going to be interesting. The biggest point I have made was the fact the older time proven rounds have become boring, after all, just how many things can be done to the 308, 300 mag or 223 family of cases . Also, if they hadn't attached the word "Magnum" , it would have passed without a second glance. Increasing the interest in firearms is a good thing. Anyone notice the 17HMR? Again the word "Magnum" to build interest although it did fill a small void in the rimfire world.

Just my thoughts........

Bill

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I think you all understand what the new cartridges are about. The idea is to sell more new guns to people who already have them. I think the new WSM's are going to be excellent cartridges, more importantly, they will spawn a bunch of new wildcats for us all to play with or ponder. The 17 HMR is a signifigant step forward, I now have 2. Anyone who says that the increase in range that the .17 presents is insignifagant has no reason to talk about any AI or Magnum cartridge over any standard cartridge because in relation to percentage the increase in effectiveness far outshines anything a reasonable .30 Mag will do over a 30-06. The .17 will make people realize that all the bad things they heard about .17's are bunk in the present time. It has been my experience with .284 Winchester, that the Short Mag cartridges will be more "inherently accurate" than any existing magnums. The same principal has been proven in the PPC's and BR cartridges. My XP-100 was a 7mm BR before it became a .284 Winchester, same barrel. I can't shoot 1/2 moa groups with it any more, the muzzle blast with the brake is too distracting, but I can still keep it under 3/4 moa. I'm not saying that a new short mag rifle will be more accurate off the shelf than your favorite custom/semi-custom rifle, but apples for apples the thick and short powder column have proven to be more consistent in powder burn, which is more consistent pressure and velocity, which equals more accuracy. Can 1 out of 100 hunters actually appreciate these accuracy gains in the field with these new guns? **** no, most couldn't hit a deer in the vitals at 100 yards standing with a New Ultra Light Arms in any caliber. These are better, more efficient cartridges, with less recoil. The last fact alone will help magnum shooters become more proficient with their arms. Look at it this way. New cartridges generate new interest and more sales for firearms companies. The more viable the business interest is to supply sporting arms and ammunition, the more warriors we'll have at out side to defend against the unwashed infidels that want to take away (or sue out of reality) our firearm and hunting heritage.

I have now stepped off my soap box.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,987 Posts
KciH has some very valid points.

Yup, it's all about marketing. As soon as a new rifle or a "new" cartridge comes out, the writers for the gun rags fall in love all over again and wax poetic. This drives hordes of gun buyers to the stores in flocks to fondle and buy the latest laser zapper that is the ultimate word in the shooting world.

That said, Heck Yes - there's a lot to be said for the new rifles and cartridges. A smaller length action will naturally weigh less and be a better handling firearm. As KciH says, the short fat cases seem to have better internal ballistics than the older long slim cases. Of course, all the new powders and bullets that spawned with the new calibers have help immensely. I obtained a 7mm Dakota, which uses the beltless .404 Jeffery case, back in the days when Dakota and Lazzironi were first providing such "short beltless magnums".
Let me assure you, the design really has something going for it - the 7mm Dakota beats my 7mm Rem Mag all to dickens.

The stimulation of the gun industry with all these new cartridges and rifles is a healthy thing for all of us. Just look how many of the old rifles and calibers are gonna be dumped on the market by the new craze buyers - ripe pickin's for you and me!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
22 PPC and 6mm PPC

Both cartridges are short fat rounds that have taken the benchrest shooting guys by storm. It seems that the short powder column is more accurate.
I'm wondering if there's an accuracy edge to be gained here with the two new Winchester offerings.
Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts