Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called Savage Firearms this morning to ask when I might expect a Savage .243WSSM with the Accutrigger. The lady said they were working on it right now, BUT Winchester is having trouble with the ammo and won't OK Savage to go ahead, and Savage won't do any more until they find out what the problem is, which might be the end of this year, or some time next year. Does anyone know what the ammo problem is? This is very disappointing to me. I notice Browning's .243WSSM has not been let out yet. I wonder how serious the problem is?:confused:

·
Beartooth Regular
2,212 Posts
I read that the problem is severe throat wear. It doesn't surprise me - the dang cartridge looks like a funnel turned upside down.

IDShooter

·
Beartooth Regular
2,212 Posts
Yes Jack,
That jibes exactly with what I read, though from another source. (Don't ask, cause I can't remember where I read it!) They are having to chrome-line the bore to slow wear.

ID

·
Beartooth Regular
2,212 Posts
Interesting article - I doubt the super shorts are going to last, myself. The 300 WSM is selling like crazy around here, though, and I have a gut feeling it will be successful. But who knows? The 6mm Rem is clearly a superior cartridge compared to the .243 Win, yet it is struggling while the .243 rages on. I'm certainly no prognosticator.

IDShooter

·
Banned
548 Posts
I'd be very surprised if throat wear is the problem, as this round is only moderately overbore.

As for the 243 vs 6MM, there is not much difference in velocity betweem the two at equal pressures, since the case capacity favors the 6MM by 2 grains at most. Handloaders choose the 243 because it has proven to be more accurate.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Gents:
There was an interesting article in Precision Shooting a while back. The author's theory was that the combination of shoulder angle and neck length was a big factor in throat wear. I'll try to explain it. Take an accurate drawing of a .243, and draw lines along each shoulder and extend them to mid-bore. If the lines intersect at a point outside the case mouth, you've got a barrel burner. If they intersect inside the case mouth, barrel life is longer. The point is well outside the case on a .243 and the target shooters are complaining about barrels losing it in as little as 800 rounds. The point is inside the mouth on a 6mm and barrel life is significantly longer.

I don't have a WSSM case drawing and I can't prove the theory myself.

Bye
Jack

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.