Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned and loaded for two rifles in 25-06 caliber. One was a Mark X that got converted to 375 Whelen after the barrel went bad. The Second is a Remington Sendero.
Both rifles did not like Sierra boat tail bullets. The Mark X loved Speer 100 grain HPs, using IMR 4831 and CCI mag primers. Would blow ground hogs into the next existance all the way out to 500 yards.
Is it possible that 25-06s just don't like boat tail bullets?
I've always used mag primers with 4831, because that;s what I learned way back when. Would Winchester large rifleprimers do just as well?

Any insight sure would be appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've owned and loaded for two rifles in 25-06 caliber. One was a Mark X that got converted to 375 Whelen after the barrel went bad. The Second is a Remington Sendero.
Both rifles did not like Sierra boat tail bullets. The Mark X loved Speer 100 grain HPs, using IMR 4831 and CCI mag primers. Would blow ground hogs into the next existance all the way out to 500 yards.
Is it possible that 25-06s just don't like boat tail bullets?
I've always used mag primers with 4831, because that;s what I learned way back when. Would Winchester large rifleprimers do just as well?

Any insight sure would be appreciated.

Jim
I own 2 rifles in 25-06, only one of 'em gets used regularly, but I've never come across a bullet they didn't like in either of them. Most of the bullets I use are of boat tail design ie: 100gr BT's and 110gr AB's, maybe it's just the design of the boat tail that Sierra uses?
I get the same sort of accuracy with the Sierra 117gr BTSP as I do with the 110gr AB, although the AB's do shoot tighter groups with more powders.
I have come across powders they REALLY didn't like, but a switch to another proved it was the powder and not the bullet.

I have used both standard and magnum primers in my rifles, but have a preference for magnum primers with the Reloader powders I use, mostly RE22 and RE25.
I got my tightest groups with standard primers using H4831, but the best groups with either RE22 or RE25 were got with magnum primers.
It won't hurt to give a standard primer a try.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I use RE22 and Rem 9 1/2 standard LR primers with Nosler bullets in a variety of .25/06s (4 now) for exceptional accuracy. Top accuracy in my Rem 700 is with AA3100, but its still shoots very well with my Ruger loads. The old Ruger shoots the worst, about 1/2" at 100 yards. :)

I've shot the 115 Partitions, 115 BTs, 110 ABs, 100 BTs/P, and 85 BT-Vs, with great accuracy. I really haven't shot much else in them, I did loads some Barnes bullets but I wasn't impressed with the accuracy for the price.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,136 Posts
2 Ruger #1's and a Browning A-Bolt. All shot well with either flat base Hornady 115 gr Interlocks or Nosler 120 gr boattail BT's.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, fellas.
I'm going to load up a bunch of the Speer 100 grain HPs and see how this Sendero does.
Something else that crossed my mind is the bedding may need looking at or the trigger may need replacing.
I'll do the Speers and report back.

Jim

·
Registered
58 Posts
My Ruger 1 in .25-06 loves the Sierra 117gr GameKing boattail. A real tack driver with 4350 powder. I think it is an individual thing. Some people like broccoli and others gag when they see it. Apparently your rifle does not like it.
Moosie

·
Registered
125 Posts
In general, using boattail bullets, I've found that I have to pay special attention to seating depth. Everyone has a different way of doing this. Most manuals detail a method.
I have an empty cartridge with 4 thin cuts in the neck to allow it to securely hold the bullet but not so tight that it won't move. I place a bullet in there and load the cartridge into the chamber, close the bolt, then carefully open the bolt and remove the cartridge. The bullet should be pushed back to where it just touches the lands of the rifling. Then I measure with calipers. I adjust the bullet seating die to be 1/16" less than the measured OAL with bullet just touching the rifliing. Make sure bullet length will fit your rifle's magazine. Have a wooden dowel available to push the bullet out if it gets stuck!!

Generally speaking, you can improve accuracy by paying attention to bullet seating depth. Accuracy seems to suffer if the bullet has to make a big jump before it engages the lands. I've seen average loads quickly become accurate loads by paying attention to the 1/16" setback. Saves alot of experimentation.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Many times, when a particular barrel will not shoot boat-tail bullets well, it's because the rate of twist won't stabilize the longer bullet. A faster rate of twist might help. The 25-06 I shot, back in the 90's, preferred 100gr bullets over the 120's, which was fine for me, since I was using it for varmint hunting.

You also might try other powders; 4831 is a good choice, but you can't count on it to give great groups with every bullet you shoot out of a given cartridge.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I thought boat tail bullets had less bearing area and that was the reason they didn't typically shoot as well.

Regardless, I've really never seen a presence in any of my guns. My .280 was the pickiest, it only shoots the 150 grain Nosler E Tip really well, but I harvested 5 deer in 3 days with 7 shots total, with the 150 grain Accubond, so it was still minute of deer vitals at any range.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just shot my new Savage Tactical 25/06,and it shoots 115gr Silvertips loaded with Varget great. But I'm having problems with Nosler 100gr BT's,I have loaded them with H4350,H4381,and Varget.They shoot all over the place.
I'm going to try some Reloader and see what happens with them.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Txhillbilly-
Those 115 grain Silvertips are also a Nosler bullet, so it just seems your rifle doesn't like the 100 grain offerings. If you have some AA3100 I bet they will shoot better with that powder, its a little faster burn rate.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i'd swap the powders with the bullets you are using, varget with the 100gr & 4831 with the 115.
i'm playing with 7828SSC in my 25/06AI and liking what i'm getting on target. haven't set the chrono up yet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Txhillbilly-
Those 115 grain Silvertips are also a Nosler bullet, so it just seems your rifle doesn't like the 100 grain offerings. If you have some AA3100 I bet they will shoot better with that powder, its a little faster burn rate.
I know the Silvertips are Nosler bullets,and the rifle shoots Sierra 100gr BTSP's,and Remington 100gr Corlok's pretty good.

I've got some Reloader 19 and 22 that I'm going to try with them.If that doesn't work I'll try a powder that I don't have. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Re22 is my powder of choice for all my '06 based cases, every gun I have (25/06, 270, 280, 30/06 Remingtons and Rugers) shoots well with that powder.

·
Banned
107 Posts
I load for two 25-06's, an A-Bolt and a Ruger. We've gotten best accuracy using H4831, CCI Large Rifle primers, and Accubonds in both of them. Best accuracy was achieved using near max loads. The sierra Prohunters also shot well. The worst were the Hornady SST's. :)

·
Registered
11,967 Posts
Sierra boat tails aren't a problem in my 25-06s unless I get out to the 120 grain mark. At that weight I do better work with flat based bullets. Give the OCW method a try as outlined in this forum - it really cuts down on development time. I start out seating to an COL listed in the manuals, then move the bullet out until accuracy falls off. As noted many times, rifles are a law unto themselves.

I agree. My A=bolt prefers 100 grain Pro-hunters over any boattail. Also had the best accuracy with IMR-4831 using CCI standard primers. Have a couple of boxes of 110 Accubonds and haven't had the chance to try them yet. They are loaded over IMR-4831 and RL-22 of various charge weights w/ standard and magnum primers.

You need to play around with jump, there isn't a magic number that works for every rifle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts