Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i am looking at a new 25-06 and am thinking either a tikka or a remington 700. I really liked the feel of the tikka but i don't like how they only offer a 22" barrel on it. I have been toled that you should have at least a 24" on the 25-06 for the best results. Anyway just wondering what your take is on this matter. Help me decide!

Thanks

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,686 Posts
It will be a little slower and a little louder than a longer barrel. Emphasis on 'little.'

Those who say "it won't work without XX length barrel" are exposing their ignorance. Get what you want.... I have 3 different .25 cal chamberings in 4 different barrel lengths, and they all work just great with appropriate bullets.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
A lot of shooters feel the 25/06 needs a 24" barrel, but are fine talking about an '06 or .270 with 22" tube. I'm not a big fan of bolt guns with 24" barrels, but think I solved my dilemma by buying a 25/06 in the Encore with 24" barrel, but at a very compact 38.5" total OAL for the rifle, making it 5 1/2" shorter than a M700 L/A with 24" barrel. :D

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
A lot of shooters feel the 25/06 needs a 24" barrel, but are fine talking about an '06 or .270 with 22" tube. I'm not a big fan of bolt guns with 24" barrels, but think I solved my dilemma by buying a 25/06 in the Encore with 24" barrel, but at a very compact 38.5" total OAL for the rifle, making it 5 1/2" shorter than a M700 L/A with 24" barrel. :D
Heh, yup. My 24" .260 barrel on my EPH is about 6" shorter than my Browning A-Bolt 22" .30-06. Works great from treestands, inside shooting houses, on the ground, in my tree-chair, etc.

·
The Shadow
7,920 Posts
I have a X7 in 25-06 with a 22", and a buddy has a M77 with a 26". If you are using this for hunting there is no real world difference. For every ounce of speed to make very long range target shooting, then I understand a 26" heavy barrel. I shoot Mule deer, coyotes, and rock chucks. Non of them have noticed a difference.

Reactions: wbm and oldreloader

·
Registered
863 Posts
If I was choosing, I'd go for a 24 inch on a 25-06. It's an overbore cartridge, and benefits much more from the extra two inches than it's bretheren, the 270 and 30-06.

I have a 257 Weatherby Vanguard, and it's said it needs a 26 inch barrel, but I don't like 26 barrels on bolt guns for hunting, so I sacrifice 75 to 100 fps velocity for practicality. I wouldn't give up that velocity on a 25-06 by going from a 24 incher to 22 on a bolt gun. For a single shot, I'd look at getting a 26 incher to wring out as much velocity as possible. That's the point of the larger quarter-bores, is it not?

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I ran into a guy one time who was carrying a 7mm Rem Mag in a semi-auto carbine...I don't remember what make or model. THAT was ridiculous. A 25-'06 with a 22" barrel is going to lose some of the performance the round is noted for and if I have my choice, mine would be 24", or longer. It's not enough to make a huge difference and if you really like the gun, go for it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,686 Posts
I've shot a bunch of critters with a 22" barreled .257 Roberts, including my biggest pig. Have had probably the best success rate with it of any rifle I own, save my .338 which REALLY folds them up..... but there is hardly any realistic comparison between the two.

On the other hand, my .257 Weatherby has been problematic with bullet performance. So, you can for sure count me in on the side that says, often, a little LESS velocity is a good thing.......

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Hi i am looking at a new 25-06 and am thinking either a tikka or a remington 700. I really liked the feel of the tikka but i don't like how they only offer a 22" barrel on it. I have been toled that you should have at least a 24" on the 25-06 for the best results. Anyway just wondering what your take is on this matter. Help me decide! Thanks
If you are hung up on long barrels for a 25-06 you might check out Browning. My youngest son recently purchased an A-Bolt Medalion with a 26" tube. Concerning the 22" barrel on my A-Bolt Stainless Stalker, I have no complaints. The velocity loss isn't apparent in the field. Animals tip over just like they were taken with a 24" or 26" barrel.

·
Registered
819 Posts
In a non belted case or a case holding 60 grs or less of powder the difference is small between 24 inch and 26 maybe a little greater with a 22 inch,most of the difference is between our ears.But when you shoot the belted cases holding 70 to 90 grs then the difference is greater.Longer barrels can cause problems in the brush by hanging up,but I think they hold better off hand.Just 1 man's opinion.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well yea, the 25-06 needs more, same case, smaller bore.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
In a non belted case or a case holding 60 grs or less of powder the difference is small between 24 inch and 26 maybe a little greater with a 22 inch,most of the difference is between our ears.But when you shoot the belted cases holding 70 to 90 grs then the difference is greater.Longer barrels can cause problems in the brush by hanging up,but I think they hold better off hand.Just 1 man's opinion.
I was reading of some interesting tests in Ken Water's Pet Loads. His results were the 700 BDL with a 24" in 25-06 was consistantly out running his 26 inch test barrel. I know it defies conventional wisdom. Each rifle has it's own set of variables and the results aren't always predictable.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Hi i am looking at a new 25-06 and am thinking either a tikka or a remington 700. I really liked the feel of the tikka but i don't like how they only offer a 22" barrel on it. I have been toled that you should have at least a 24" on the 25-06 for the best results. Anyway just wondering what your take is on this matter. Help me decide!

Thanks
Have you decided yet on what you want ? My 25-06 is the new Weatherby S2 that came out about a year ago. It has a 24 inch barrel and the gun is really nice, very very accurate. The stock isn't the best looking but that's one part of the gun that doesn't bother me as long as it feels good in my hands and shoots well. Their around $500 and are sub-moa guaranteed.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I cannot think of any non-magnum round of commercial status that benefits more with a longer tube than the 25-06. Remington saw the potential of the Wildcat round, just as they did with others, such as the 22-250. This was back in the days that Rem. had some Riflemen in their ranks and displayed quality in their products and they paid attention to actual cartridge performance. With that in mind they correctly brought out the 25-06 with a 24" barrel. From a cost standpoint, it would have made sense to use the 22" tubes of the std. volume rounds (270-30-06), but they actually thought about the end user & offered it in 24" & a fatter profile as well. Later, when Ruger came out with a 25-06, they wisely followed Rem's footsteps. They saw, again because Mike Walker of Remington and others actually used their products, that the combination of this new round & surplus 4831 & 24" barrels gave a worthwhile boost over the Roberts, otherwise why bother?
However, P&L statements are the big thing these days. Many think the 22" will "work" on the std rounds and 24" on the mags., have 2 tube variations and run with it. I am not slaming Browning, Tikka & others, they have good products, but I have ZERO doubt that a 22" tube is a cost decision & as long as people still buy them it will remain such.
But all this stuff doesn't matter if you aren't shooting beyond 300 myds. at Deer sized game and smaller. If you want the round to behave about like the Roberts with handloads (absolutely nothing wrong with that), the 22" will do. So, it never hurts to define your needs & performance goals.
I have shot the 25-06 off and on since the mid 70's, I did not have a chrono. then, but I have since the early 90's & have seen enough to realize that I don't want a 22" 25-06 because I want to get the full potential out of this round.
I load for 5 25-06's, an old Ruger 77 24", a Ruger Target Lam 26", a Sendero & 2 Sendero's that are now in AI. So 4 of the 5 have 26" tubes &
they really perform well. A couple of years ago I worked up loads for a friends Marlin 25-06 22", a nice rifle for the money & quite accurate, but velocities sucked. I conveyed this to the owner, but it was not that important because he would not be shooting Deer over 200 yds. from his stands & was not interested in shooting Coyotes beyond 300 yds., besides the 100gr. BT load was an exact duplicate in traj. out to the max. distance he would shoot with his Ruger 338 he uses for Elk with the 200BT load. So for him, it served his purpose, which is the important thing.
Well, one 22" tube is not representative of all of them, but from what I have seen, it's a no-brainer IF optimal performance is desired.
This is especially so if you use the heavier bullets & slower powders, the diff. is less with lighter Varmit bullets.
I don't pay much attention to most of the paid off gun writers, but John Barsness is one of the best & has a good article in the newest Handloader (Aug 2012) titled "A Pair Of 25-06's" Along with pointing out the good features of the round, he works up loads for these 2 rifles, a Lipsey special 24" Number 1 & a Ackley built Mauser with a 26" tube, not an Ackley Improved, but rather a 25-06 built by the late P.O. Ackley.
He mentions the fact that the 26" comes into it's own with the heavier bullets and slower powders. For some that won't see the articles here are some of his heavier bullet loads, 24" vs 26"
110 Accubond, 58gr. Retumbo, 3,182 vs 3,260
115 Berger, 60 gr. Magnum, 3,148 vs 3,316
117 Sierra, 55gr. RL 25, 3,112 vs 3,320
20 Nos. Part., 56.5 Retumbo, 3,089 vs 3,167
Now personally, I have not seen so much diff. between a 24 & 26, but the point is made. But I have not ONCE seen the results I wanted with a 22" 25-06.
Another good read by someone who actually shoots is Wayne Van Zwoll's book: Shooters Bible Guide to Rifle Ballistics. He has very good and researched Chapter dealing with the Optimal barrel length for a given caliber, this was not based on barrel length avail, just the length that gave an optimal tradeoff. For the 25-06 and 300WM he determined the optimal length to be 25", for 308 it would be 22", for the big cases like the 257Wea, 264 & 300RUM, 26", which makes perfect sense.
For me and my friends who use the 25-06, we like the 26" for top results, but we have shorter guns for thicket hunting with other rounds like the 308. I would have no real problems with a 24" and for all-round use have their merits, to me the 25-06 is a less than ideal match of cartridge and rifle, from actual tests, again it depends on your expectations.

I want to leave this with a very good 25-06 Article by a hunter who has taken over 50 Big Game animals with this round & notice his choices.
The .25-06: Deadly On Deer > Buckmasters > Classic Articles

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I do understand that you are interested in two particular rifles, but I mention my Ruger #1 because it's in context here. It has a 24" barrel. I don;t know enough about the round to say it deserves a 26" barrel or would be better with a 22" barrel, but my other experience and instincts tell me Nomosendero (and others) are right. Still, I don;t think you can go wrong with either a 22" or 24" or a 26". My 24" barrel is just fine accuracy-wise, and I suspect that either rifle you buy is going to depend more on you, your abilities, and the ammo you feed it than a couple inches either way in barrel length.

·
The Shadow
7,920 Posts
I cannot think of any non-magnum round of commercial status that benefits more with a longer tube than the 25-06. Remington saw the potential of the Wildcat round, just as they did with others, such as the 22-250...

I have ZERO doubt that a 22" tube is a cost decision & as long as people still buy them it will remain such...

But all this stuff doesn't matter if you aren't shooting beyond 300 myds. at Deer sized game and smaller. So, it never hurts to define your needs & performance goals...

A couple of years ago I worked up loads for a friends Marlin 25-06 22", a nice rifle for the money & quite accurate, but velocities sucked. I conveyed this to the owner, but it was not that important because he would not be shooting Deer over 200 yds. from his stands & was not interested in shooting Coyotes beyond 300 yds.But I have not ONCE seen the results I wanted with a 22" 25-06.
Interesting view, I disagree with alot of your points but interesting anyway.

"non-magnum commercial round" So the non-belted WSM's in AR's must not count then.
The 25-06 had been a wildcat for about 49 years, so "foresight" is perhaps a poor choice of words. Wanting to capture a well established niche maybe better.

I agree that it very well could be a cost concern, as is just about ANY mass produced item.

If your velocities were SSOOO far off, what powder choice did you make?? My Marlin X7 gives Hornady 7th edition velocities with their 75gr bullets, and only misses their velocities with the 120gr by 120fps. That small of a difference doesn't fit the "suck" category, nor does it limit that bullet to 300 yards.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts