Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a remington 700 in 25-06 24" barrel.
I would like to shoot 120gr bullets. What manufactures have available
120 gr bullets? Or even 115-117?

What ballistics can I expect, not acrificing velocity for accuracy.
The gun is a tack driver with fractory Remington 100 gr Core-Lokts.

Gerry

Alberta, Canada

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I sorta' depends on what you're shooting with them.

If you are chasing elk, you'd probably want to look at Nosler NP's or Speer Grand Slam. They work real at .25-06 velocities, and in the .257 Weatherby.

For deer size game, Speer, Hornady, and Sierra all make excellent deer bullets in the weight you're after.

Not sure premium bullets are really needed for deer/antelope, but it's your wallet. I have not tried the Barnes TSX's, but they have a lot of fans.

Fore the most part, you'll have a tough time beating the 100gr bullets you're using if they shoot well in your rifle.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Since I don;t have a chronograph, I can;t speak to specific velocities relative to accuracy. Besides that, I don;t think one is dependant on the other at this particular stage. Getting maximum accuracy while maintaining maximum velocity is akin to a scientific experiment (which many n this forum have mastered), so the next best thing is just getting maximum accuracy and foregoing velocity (relatively speaking). If you have the necessary tools, though...........

This is what I shoot in my Ruger #1 25-06 (24" heavy barrel)
- Nosler 115gr Ballistic Tips: 50gr RL-22, CCI250 primers, 2850fps, .6" groups.
- Sierra 120gr Game King: 50gr RL-22, WLR primers, 2800fps. .4" groups
- Speer 120gr Grand Slam: 51gr RL-22, CCI200 primers, 2850fps. .75" groups.

Those velocities mentioned are approximate because they come from the reloading manuals, and sometimes they're figured mathematically by me (making an approximation between the velocities of two listed loads).

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,732 Posts
There's a number of manufacturers - what can you get locally? That might help prioritize the answer.

It would be hard to go wrong with a Nosler Partition for serious hunting.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Welcome to ShootersForum, Gerry!

Just about every bullet manufacturer (factory loads or components) makes a 25 caliber bullet weighing 115-120 grains, as that has long been the heaviest weight that can be stabilized in standard quarter-bore barrels. It is also a very useful weight, insofar as they are of good sectional density and moderate to high velocity can still be attained.

Choosing a bullet for any reloading project (or factory ammo, if you don't reload) usually starts with defining what you'll be hunting for and at what distances. Hope to hear back from you with more information about what you will be using the bullet for, so we can help you pick something suitable. :)

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I've settled on 120 Nosler partitions. Two main reasons are that they hold together well on game, and, are accurate in my rifle with my load choice. I've mostly used IMR 4350 & 7828 for the 120's. I think the Speer grand slam is a good bullet, but I couldn't get very good accuracy in my rifle with it.

I've had some poor performance on deer with std cup-and-core bullets at 25-06 velocities, so I stick with the more heavily-constructed bullets.

·
Registered
437 Posts
That's odd. However every instance is different. My load of Hornady interlock 100's and rem. corelokts, as well as nosler bt's all have been lightning. 3350 FPS and no more movement after impact. And yet I still haven't tried my most accurate load, 115 BST.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have used many different types of bullets in my 25-06 on deer. I shot 100 grain ballistic tips for years. I have recently moved to the Hornady Interlock. I shot several this year with great results. I have had issues with the heavier bullets in my gun. Pretty much anything over 100 grains causes the groups to start opening up considerably. I have a Remington 700 as well.

I agree pretty much any brand name bullet designed for deer size game will perform well enough to anchor a white tail. I shoot Hornady because they are readily available and easy on the wallet. They shoot great to.

Darin

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a remington 700 in 25-06 24" barrel.
I would like to shoot 120gr bullets. What manufactures have available
120 gr bullets? Or even 115-117?

What ballistics can I expect, not acrificing velocity for accuracy.
The gun is a tack driver with fractory Remington 100 gr Core-Lokts.

Gerry

Alberta, Canada
Gerry I used to shoot a 25-06 and shot all bullets from 87 gr to the 120 gr, I found that the RL 22 is the powder that worked the best for the heavier bullets. I have shot all the Nosler bullets and I had the best luck in my Remington 700 with the Ballistic tips. I took a few deer in Colorado at over 250 yards one shot. If you are interested in trying some of those bullets you could send me a PM and I could send you some samples. Good shooting with that 25-06

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
I've had some poor performance on deer with std cup-and-core bullets at 25-06 velocities, so I stick with the more heavily-constructed bullets.
Guess my results have been considerably different. Using 100 grain Sierra Prohunters I've taken over 30 deer and antelope from 40 feet to 400 yards with no failures. 1/4 inch hole going in and about 1" hole exiting.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I had a 120 gr fail to exit at about 80 yds on a big-bodied muley buck, slightly fwd into a shoulder. It died, but it wasn't a pretty death. That was about 20 years ago, and honestly, since then I haven't tried any bullets less than 120 grs in NP or GS on big game. That experience stuck with me I guess, but since I haven't tried anything else since then, I sure can't dispute others' positive performance.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
I had a 120 gr fail to exit at about 80 yds on a big-bodied muley buck, slightly fwd into a shoulder. It died, but it wasn't a pretty death. That was about 20 years ago, and honestly, since then I haven't tried any bullets less than 120 grs in NP or GS on big game. That experience stuck with me I guess, but since I haven't tried anything else since then, I sure can't dispute others' positive performance.
I don't blame you, I'm the same way. If i have a bad experience with something, I'm slow going back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts