Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody im new to the forum ! and i need some help making a choice i am going to purchase my first rifle pretty soon. i plan to use it to hunt javelina and deer, and thats where my problem comes into play the rifle im going to buy is the new savage edge and its chamberd both in 30-06 and 25-06 and was dead set on buying the 30 but then i started reading up on the 25 and now i dont know witch one to chose as i said before this is my first rifle so i have no idea what the recoil is on both guns but i know its more on the 30 lol. like i said before this rifle is mainly going to be used on javelina, and deer and maybe bear ! here in my state you can buy bear tags over the counter so if i see one i might take a shot. so can anyone help make a choice thank you ! :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
For deer and javelinas, I would go with the .25-06, as you don't need anything more. If you add bear, you might want to look at the .30-06, although I would think the .25-06 would handle black bears.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Welcome mr ponce. From your IP, you're in AZ IIRC where Maricopa Co is. Like most places, there can be some big bears there, but most will be handled just fine with the 25-06 and a good stout 120 gr bullet like the Nosler partition. I know you want to cover a lot of bases with your first rifle, but bear sightings are relatively few, especially when you're not hunting them specifically over bait. I think you'd do fine with the 25-06 for the deer and javs. Besides, will give you a good excuse to later get a larger caliber for more specific game!

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
I would say get a 30-06, or maybe a .270, for what your doing the '06 or .270 make more sense, those javs can get fairly big to? or am i mistaken?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have never shot a 30-06 before so i have no idea what the recoil is on it i have read that people can develop a flinch from shooting rifles that have a heavy recoil and i really really dont want to develop that habit

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i have never shot a 30-06 before so i have no idea what the recoil is on it i have read that people can develop a flinch from shooting rifles that have a heavy recoil and i really really dont want to develop that habit
What type of stock do you want? A .30-06 with a well balanced wood or laminate stock will not kick too bad. Get one with a thin light plastic stock, and it can flat wallop you.

Also, as for synthetic stocks, the Hogue overmolded ones dampen recoil the best of any I have shot. Plus they handle great. Those are great stocks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What type of stock do you want? A .30-06 with a well balanced wood or laminate stock will not kick too bad. Get one with a thin light plastic stock, and it can flat wallop you.

Also, as for synthetic stocks, the Hogue overmolded ones dampen recoil the best of any I have shot. Plus they handle great. Those are great stocks.
well the rifle im going to get id the savage edge here is a link so you can look at it http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/featured/

·
Registered
288 Posts
Another vote for the 3006. Nothing wrong with a little more power than you need. Last I checked dead is dead and as was said already if bear is on the menu then 3006 for sure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With all being 22" barrels - Get the 30/06.
this is a dumb question but how much does the barrel leghth afect the round becase i remeberreading a article that said you needed a 24 inch barell for a 25-06 i dint think 2 inches whould afect it that much ?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Another vote for the 3006. Nothing wrong with a little more power than you need. Last I checked dead is dead and as was said already if bear is on the menu then 3006 for sure.
You won't go wrong with either. I think the 30-06 will be a little more versatile, but since I have never owned a 25-06, I really can't advise you against it. In my opinion, with you buying the Savage Edge, and it is having a 22 inch barrel, i believe that might hamper the velocity of the 25-06 caliber. This is only a belief, and not supported by facts, and I am sure that maybe Shawn Crea and Mattsbox99 will set me staight if I am incorrect on this.

On a gut call here I am going to say 30-06.

·
Registered
722 Posts
this is a dumb question but how much does the barrel leghth afect the round becase i remeberreading a article that said you needed a 24 inch barell for a 25-06 i dint think 2 inches whould afect it that much ?
You could loose up to 50 to 60 feet per second, but that is just a guess, but then you have to ask the question, how much velocity can you live without?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Personally, and this is just my opinion, I think the 30-06 is the most versatile rifle if you were only going to own one centerfire rifle. (Or if you were on a multi-species hunt and only carried one gun.) If I was going to own two or more rifles, neither one would be an ought six. My thery is that the 270 WIN is a flatter shooting deer rifle with less recoil, so it would get the nod over the 30-06 for deer and smaller game. If I was going after larger game, like elk or large bears, I'd want something larger than the 30-06.

So fo rme, I'd take the 25-06 over the 30-06, but I'd take the 270 WIN or 7mm-08 (or even a .308) over the 25-06.

Lots of my buddies and brothers shoot 30-06 and I can't argue with their success. The recoil differences are maybe exagerated, but the 270 and 25-06 are measurably less recoil energy than the 30-06. The particular rifle may absorb a lot of this energy, though, making it less noticeable between the two. Find a friend with the two calibers and give them a test shot or ten.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how much meat will a 30-06 spoil on a javelina ? because on wikipedia it says they wheight from 44 to 88 pounds ? sorry for all these dumb question im new to all this :confused:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. For something that small, make sure you shoot through the ribs (boiler room shot) to avoid most of the good meat. That's regardless of what caliber you pick.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
A couple of years ago now, I decided to get back into rifle shooting. The only "high-powered" hunting rifle I ever owned before was a 7MM Magnum, and that was many years ago. So, basically I was, just like you are now, starting from scratch.

I opted for the 30-06. It's been the most popular caliber forever because it's so versatile. Later, I bought a Ruger #1 in 25-06, so now both of those bases are now covered. The difference in recoil is noticeable, but don;t walk in thinking the 25-06 doesn;t have some ummppff behind it. The cases used for both calibers are the same, just so you'll know that much.

Having said all that, while javelinas are tough, the 25-06 is all you'll need for them, if shot placement were equal between the two calibers. Alot are hunted here in southwest NM and the 25-06 is pretty popular. It's a little flatter shooting too than the heavier .308 bullet, Deer are less tough than a javelina, so there's that.

I'd eat wild feral hogs (also found out here and probably there in Arizona too), but I'm not sure I'd eat much of that javelina. Anyway, like Shane said, a heart/lung body shot or a head shot isn;t going to ruin much by either caliber.

Are you planning to start reloading?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I say get a .30-06 for your first rifle. It offers so much in the way of options and flexibility of loads. It's also a nearly perfect benchmark platform to make a comparison from when you want your next rifle, which will be soon after buying this one.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,730 Posts
Welcome. I'm a little late to the conversation, but have some relevant experience.

The .25 cal rifles will do just great on deer and javelina. I have shot a lot of deer, wild pigs, and whatnot with a .257 Roberts, including a feral pig that weighed 275 lbs. Currently I can claim hunting experience with the .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, and .257 Weatherby. I would suggest 120gr. bullets in the .25-06. The Weatherby, in particular, is hard on 100gr. bullets and a .25-06 isn't far behind. Partitions are good bullets. The other bullet I could recommend with personal experience, Nosler Solid Base, is out of production.

Avoid plastic-tipped bullets for things you plan on eating :eek: Or, at least, don't shoot the edible parts.

Javelina are fine table fare..... IF you skin them first, and get rid of the musk gland on the back. Most people I know, have shot one or two, then called it quits. They just stink to high-heaven ..... do plan on salting the meat, and heavily. That will solve most problems and isn't bad advice with any game meat, really.

The 25 cal rifles will do great on deer. Should be fine on black bear with good bullets.

I really do like the .30-06, as well, but if you are a new shooter the recoil might be a bit much. And, in due time, we'll talk you into several other calibers, as well.

Welcome, and good luck.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts