Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm hunting PA whitetails with an average size of 130 pounds and was wondering what bullets you have had the most success with. I do not reload so I'd be interested on off the shelf ammo. They all gt the job done but would 100 grains be better then the 117 or dosnt it really matter? Just curious. New caliber to me and I don't know a whole lot about ballistics. Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I've used a 25-06 for many years, and without consideration for deer weight, I'd choose a well-constructed 115-120 gr bullet over any other weight. There is plenty of velocity with the 115-120's for even the velocity-buffs. 115 gr Nosler partition in Federal ammo would be my off-the-shelf choice.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
i like the 115gr nosler ballistic tip for the 25-06. i only handload, so i don't know whats out there.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
For deer, I would prefer the heavier for caliber bullets in the .25-06. Anything that shoots well in your gun using 115 to 120 grain bullets will work for what you want. Only your own testing will tell you which loads shoot best in your gun.

·
Registered
915 Posts
This past season I was able to take 2 animals with my 25-06, 1 Antelope and 1mule deer. I used 100 gr spire points on both. Both were 1 shot kills but the tissue damage was massive. I would recommend using the heavier bullets that you find shoot best from your rifle. I hand load my ammo and will move up to the 120 gr for the next season. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Hi all, I'm hunting PA whitetails with an average size of 130 pounds and was wondering what bullets you have had the most success with. I do not reload so I'd be interested on off the shelf ammo. They all gt the job done but would 100 grains be better then the 117 or dosnt it really matter? Just curious. New caliber to me and I don't know a whole lot about ballistics. Thanks for any input!

If you use the 100gr loads then I would use one of the monolithic bullets. They will perform like a bullet in the 110-120gr size and penetrate as well if not better. Also, they'll retain basically all of their weight with the exception being the polymer/plastic tip. There's the Nosler 100gr E-Tip in Nosler ammo, Federal Premium 100gr Trophy Copper ( which is the Nosler E-Tip ), Barnes Vortex 100gr TTSX, Black Hills Gold with the 100gr TSX, and Double Taps 100gr TTSX. Hornady came out with a new line of ammo called the Hornady American Whitetail and it's exactly like their Custom line load. For the 25-06 they have the 117gr Interlock SP BT and it has the exact same bullet, velocity, brass as the Hornady Custom 117gr Interlock. The American Whitetail line is $7-$8 a box less though and it has an American flag on the front. Federal also loads the Sierra GameKing in 117gr and 120gr for the 25-06 and either one would make a great load for deer/antelope/mulies etc.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have hunted the 25-06 for years and I have shot the 100 grain bullet almost exclusively with great success. That said I agree with the others that a 117 grain bullet does kill just as well and there is less meat damage.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Have shot a lot of medium sized deer, goats, aoudad, blackbuck, mouflon with 117gr RN Remington in my 257 Roberts. This bullet shot very accurately in my rifle whereas nearly all other 115 to 120 grain bullets would not group at all well. The RN did an exceptional job with enough damage to ensure a quick demise of the target animal and a goodly sized bleed hole on exit to aid any tracking if required. It also did not cause hydraulics of fluids through the muscles which often ruins more meat. Excessive velocity is usually the cause of this problem. The cartridges used were all over the counter Remington.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I shoot a 25-06. I load my own,I shoot 85gn noslers ,100gn noslers and 115 bugers. I have killed more coyotes with it than any thing else. I shot a coyote with one of the 115s ,it never exited. My bullet of choice for deer is the 85. I loaded some of these for a friend last fall and he killed an elk with it. Basically its your choice. Good luck and smart caliber choice. Q

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the quick replies. So I'm guessing with the lighter bullets they tumble more and really tear stuff up? I'm not into damaging a lot of meat. I went with the 25-06 to take them cleanly and not lose half my deer. I think I can get my hands on most ammo listed above and would like to try the Hornaday American whitetail in 117 grain. Hornaday seems to work well in all my guns. Anyone have much luck with this line of ammo?

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
I've hunted alot with a 25-05. In about 6 years of hunting I've taken 30 game animals (not counting varmints and prediators) at all ranges and from about every position of bullet entry. All were exits without blowing up. The bullets were a 100 grain Sierra ProHunter and 110 Accubond. I realize I'm talking hand loaded ammo which the OP wanted off the shelf stuff. I posted this inorder not to discount the lighter bullets of good construction.

As was mentioned find some suitable ammo for the game you are hunting, that shoots well from your rifle.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use the Hornady 120gr HP in my 25-06. Plenty of of omph and very little meat damage. Over the counter ammo, can't help much, but, heavier is better in my opinion.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Light or heavy...whatever your gun shoots well will help you choose.

I have a pair of 25-06's and neither one will shoot bullets over 100 grain all that well. Both rifles will shoot nosler 100 grain partitions extremely well and my load recipe is like the proverbial lightning bolt on deer. For decades that was on heavy bodied wisconsin whitetails too. Deer are not a tough critter and you don't "need" that heavy bullet. But if they shoot well , then yes. Shot placement is what matters...more so than the bullets you choose.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I carried the 1/4 bore for over 15 years of varmint/predator and deer hunting. I hunted antelope out West with this caliber also. I mostly used the Nosler Partition bullets. Varmints & Predators got a taste of the 100 grn. bullet. My deer & antelope hunts got the attention of the 120 grain bullet weight.:)

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have been killing things with a 25-06 for years. My gun does not shoot any bullet over 100 grains to meet my expectations. I shoot 100 grain Hornady Intelocks. They shoot well less than MOA.

This season I tried 115 grain Nosler Partitions. I shot 3 deer with them from 10 yards to over 100. My son shot 1 at 40 yards. The ones I shot did not bleed a drop. One was shot in the shoulder and came out behind the shoulder on the other side. It ran 100 yards and died. The 2nd was shot at 75 yards and ran about 30 yards with no blood. The 3rd ran around 100 yards and I never found a drop of blood. The deer my son shot ran about 40 yards with no blood. Bullet size hole in and about a nickle size hole coming out. I shot a doe with the Hornady bullet and it rolled down the hill about 5 yards and it sprayed blood everywhere. The damage was not unacceptable. I shot another doe at 170 yards with the Interlock. She ran about 30 yards with a good blood trail.

I did not like the performance of the partition in the 25-06 but I would use nothing but a partition in my 6mm Rem. I am not a partition basher because I know they have a proven track record and they work excellent in my 6mm Rem. I just didn't like my results in a 25-06.

Good luck!!

Darin

I suggest the Hornady Interlock in a 25-06 above all others.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have shot the 25-06 off and on since 1965,and it is one of thos rounds that works for varmints and deer size animals.The longest shot I have ever made on a deer was with a 25-06.I shot the 120 gr Hornady rebated boat tail.I have killed deer with 115 Nosler Partition and 100 gr Noslers.If I was going to shoot factory only I think the Remington 117 Core lok is a very good choice.That bullet has proven its self for years.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Thanks for all the quick replies. So I'm guessing with the lighter bullets they tumble more and really tear stuff up? I'm not into damaging a lot of meat. I went with the 25-06 to take them cleanly and not lose half my deer. I think I can get my hands on most ammo listed above and would like to try the Hornaday American whitetail in 117 grain. Hornaday seems to work well in all my guns. Anyone have much luck with this line of ammo?

The lighter bullets won't tumble that I know of. You have to have a tough bonded or monolithic bullet that won't blow up as mentioned above. The Berger bullets are designed to do just that, they penetrate 2-3 inches and then start to come apart and only retain about 40-50% of their weight, they will tear up meat very fast in my opinion. As Monty mentioned the Nosler 110gr AccuBond is a very good bullet for hunting and is very accurate. I haven't harvested anything with any of the 100gr loads I mentioned in my first post, but I've shot all of them at the range and all were very accurate. They will hold together and retain their weight as good as it gets, and they will penetrate as far or farther than anything out there. The Nosler 110gr AccuBond is loaded in Nosler ammo, Winchester ammo, Double Tap ammo. Hornady has the 110gr InterBond that is a good tough bullet and they load it for the 25-06. It really would be best to try a few different loads, rifles can be very picky about what they like and don't like.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Here's my two cents.
For some reason most rifle makers use a one in ten twist in 25 caliber rifles.
That rate of twist is not fast enough to "dependably" stabilize bullets over 100 grains in that caliber.
I've said it before, if I wanted to use 100 grain bullets, I'd use a .243.
The .25 calibers are most efficient with bullets over 100 grains.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts