Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

My wife just bought me a Remington CDL 25-06 50th year anniversary addition rifle for Christmas, I have always wanted a 25-06, I have several 30-06 and 243 rifles that I hunt with. I reload for both using IMR 4350 powder and CCI large rifle primers, the bullets I use for the 243 is Hornady 100 gr BTSP with 44 gr. powder, for the 30-06 I use Sierra 165 BTHP with 56 gr powder. Can you all recommend a good 25-06 load for hunting? I was thinking of getting some Nosler Partition 120 gr Spitzer bullets, would this be a good bullet choice and can I continue to use the IMR 4350 powder also for the
25-06 loads.
Brent

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
You can certainly use 4350 powder but there are others that seem to work better for me. I would suggest either IMR 4831 or RL-22. All three of my 25-06s do very well with 110 grain Accubonds.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have two 25-06's and H4831 is their favorite powder, but I do have a load with 100 gr. Sierra BTSP that shoots lights out with 48.0 grains of H4350. It is just slightly above starting load, but shot well so I stopped there.

Good luck and all the best.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I can’t remember the exact charge anymore but I used to have a 25-06 coyote gun and I always used imr4831 and CCI large rifle primers. The most accurate load was with a charge about .2-.3 grains under max charge with minimal velocity loss. I used 110gr accubonds as most all of my hunting guns use accubonds. I Like how they expand and retain weight, and they’re always accurate enough for me.

For anything based on the 06 (6-06, 270, 280, etc) I find that 4831 is the most versatile powder for varying weights. R19 is also very good with the middle weight bullets (such as 165gr, 180gr in 30-06) if you can’t find any 4831.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,129 Posts
Brent - keep In mind that any load submitted by a fellow reloader is suspect at best as it isn't pressure tested unless stated. What may be safe in the fellow's rifle could be a potential excessive load in yours. Stick with those recommendations as listed in a good reloading manual (you do have one or several don't you?) starting at the bottom and working up in increments to max for best performance.

Reactions: SparkyD and Darkker

·
The Shadow
7,932 Posts
I reload for both using IMR 4350 powder and CCI large rifle primers, the bullets I use for the 243 is Hornady 100 gr BTSP with 44 gr. powder, for the 30-06 I use Sierra 165 BTHP with 56 gr powder.
Brent,

Ditto Kdub's advice.
Per current Hodgdon info, your 243 load is 2 grains over max. Depending upon your lot and data source, the facility that manufactures that power; was totally rebuilt and had ingredient changes made a couple years back. So don't expect the new stuff to be what the old stuff was.

Cheers

·
Registered
705 Posts
My 3 really like either 110gr Accubonds or 115gr Partitions for deer. The 120gr Partition is too hard in my experience. Great for elk.
I use RETUMBO or RE25, although if push comes to shove, H1000 is also a good powder.
These modern slower powders work far better than traditional powders in this cartridge.

Cheers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brent,

Ditto Kdub's advice.
Per current Hodgdon info, your 243 load is 2 grains over max. Depending upon your lot and data source, the facility that manufactures that power; was totally rebuilt and had ingredient changes made a couple years back. So don't expect the new stuff to be what the old stuff was.

Cheers
Hi Darkker,
I made a mistake, I went back and looked at my notes on the 243 loads and I am loading 41 grains of IMR 4350 not
44 gr. with the Hornady 100 gr. BTSP

·
Registered
97 Posts
My new to me 25-06 Remington sendero shoots a nosler 120 partition with reloader 22 better than a trying else I've tried. Ballistic tips with IMR 4831 and 7828 shot over 2 inch groups. Partitions shot tiny cloverleaf groups. I like accubonds, none available, Shure surprised me!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I limit my .25-06 to 100gr bullets. It's mainly used for wolves and caribou. My best loads are with Norma 204, Norma MRP and Vihtavuori N-165. The Norma 204 load is max book. All Norma loads use magnum primers as prescribed by the Norma manual. Norma MRP and Vihtavuori N-165 are backups that shoot nearly as well as the Norma 204 load.

·
Registered
82 Posts
IMR4831 has been working good for me with the full range of bullet weights from 75gr V-Max, 100gr SP and 117gr BTSP (all Hornady). The 115gr Nosler partition doesn't like IMR4831 in my rifle but starting loads with H4350 look promising. On that last note, factory loaded 115gr Nosler partitions did not do well in my Tikka, go figure.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Congrats on a great gun and a great wife! She has good taste in rifles and calibers.

IMR 4350 is a solid choice for the 120 gr partition in 25-06. It’s not the fastest. Nosler and the Hodgdon website both list data for IMR 4350 and a 120 gr bullet. The 120gr partition may shoot lights out in your rifle. More likely it will just shoot so, so. If you are looking at big game out to 300 yards or so it should work fine.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I use RL-22 exclusively for Nosler 115gr BT's and Sierra 120gr Gamekings. CCI Magnum primers for the 115gr and Wolf LR for the 120 Gamekings. If you choose this powder, check your manuals or mfr websites for minimum/maximum loads. Lighter bullets in my 25-06 do better with other powders such as IMR4064 or H380

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,188 Posts
My luck with any caliber of Partion bullet has been abysmal to say the least. Accuracy has never been up to my expectations and performance was less than impressive. So, that being said . . . . .

My 25-06 hunting load for both accuracy and reliable expansion without destruction is a 100 grain Swift Sirroco II over a healthy dose of IMR7828. However, IMR4350 will work as well or maybe better in your rifle.

It seems that neither of my 25-06's much care for bullets over 100 grains and believe me, I have tried to convince them otherwise and yes, they are both (verified) 1:10 twist barrels.

Anyways, good luck with yours, mine have both been a boat load of fun.

RJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to everyone on all the Great info on the 25-06 loads. I found 3 boxes of the Sierra 117gr Pro Hunter flat base and have them on the way, I have 2 boxes of Nosler 120gr Partition and 1 box of Nosler 120gr solid base, I only have about 1/2 pound of IMR 4350 left, and I haven't been able to find anymore, I was able to find a couple pounds of H4831 at a local gun shop, I was planning on staying with the IMR 4350 but I saw a lot of you use or have used the H4831 with Great results, so I am thinking about giving it a try and see how my Rem 700 CDL likes it.
Merry Christmas to All,
Brent

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I was able to find a couple pounds of H4831 at a local gun shop,
It's been a while since I had a .25-06 in my gun storage area, but H4831 and IMR 4831 were both first rate powders with a wide range of bullets. You had a lucky find.

Reactions: SparkyD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brent - keep In mind that any load submitted by a fellow reloader is suspect at best as it isn't pressure tested unless stated. What may be safe in the fellow's rifle could be a potential excessive load in yours. Stick with those recommendations as listed in a good reloading manual (you do have one or several don't you?) starting at the bottom and working up in increments to max for best performance.
I sure will kdub,
Thanks for the advice!
Brent

·
Beartooth Regular
2,172 Posts
Thanks to everyone on all the Great info on the 25-06 loads. I found 3 boxes of the Sierra 117gr Pro Hunter flat base and have them on the way, I have 2 boxes of Nosler 120gr Partition and 1 box of Nosler 120gr solid base, I only have about 1/2 pound of IMR 4350 left, and I haven't been able to find anymore, I was able to find a couple pounds of H4831 at a local gun shop, I was planning on staying with the IMR 4350 but I saw a lot of you use or have used the H4831 with Great results, so I am thinking about giving it a try and see how my Rem 700 CDL likes it.
Merry Christmas to All,
Brent
I think you'll be happy with the 4831, if your Remington behaves anything like mine did. 4831 and R22 were my go-to powders.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts