Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a new load out of my 25-06 using H4831. Anyone want to share their most accurate H4831 load??

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,119 Posts
Take all internet offered cartridge loadings (other than manufacaturers) with a heaping portion of salt. What works in one may be a dangerous load in another.

Reactions: American Made

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very true, im just looking for opinions and use it to make up my own load, almost as just a general idea.

·
Registered
143 Posts
very true, im just looking for opinions and use it to make up my own load, almost as just a general idea.
go buy you a copy of Noslers new #6 reload book they list the most accurate load for each powder suited for that caliber and for each weight of bullet

·
Registered
233 Posts
h4831 works well in all three barrels i have had in 25/06, when up near full throttle.if your chasing accuracy,you might like to look at using 4350. i use 8-10 grs less powder,with only a drop from 3560fps to 3450,with 87-90 gr pills, but super tight CONSISTENT groups. varget also gives a good account with 75grs pills. you will have to work your own loads up for your rifle.-god luck and hope you hit on a winner.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I have never used 4831 in the 25-06. I mostly shoot the 120's in this round and IMR-4350 is just right above 4831 in the Speer and Hornady manuals, while using a bit less powder. If I remember correctly, when I began reloading for it, I had 4350 on the shelf, and no 4831, and that's about as technical as it got! I stuck with it as it gave great accuracy. IMR-7828 is another to consider in the heavier bullet weights.

For light varmint loads (75 gr Hornady hp) I've settled on IMR-4064.

Reviewing the two manuals in front of me though, looks like 4831 is suitable for many bullet weights. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I use Reloder 22 for the heavy bullets and IMR 4350 for the light bullets. I've never used H4831 in the .25/06, just the .270 where I got ho-hum results.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Like Shawn and Matt, my #1 in 25-06, depending on the bullet, does its best with IMR4064 with lighter bullets, H380 with 90gr Gamekings, and RL22 for everything heavier. I have never tried H4831 so I can;t really say what it would do in my rifle (and of course not yours).

As Okie said, some manuals reveal the most accurate loads. I don;t own the Nosler, but the Sierra manual does a good job of that too. So maybe buy one or the other, depending on which bullets you're likely to try and build for.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sierra vs Nosler reload manuels the Nosler is by far the best.
The sierra will give you the best powder for each weight of bullet per caliber but the Nosler gives you the best load per each powder of each bullet weight plus the best powder tested so this is ten times better than Sierra. I am 71 now and have been reloading for 53 years in all them years I have loaded every bullet weight per caliber. I finnaly got tired of having to rezero every time I shot a different wieght so for the last 2 years I have found which bullet was the most accurate and now only load that one bullet and load for that rifle. I have 32 rifles with 21 different calibers so I just pick which caliber meets the need for what I am hunting doing this cuts the cost of what supplies I have to stock in way of bullets and powder.
I used to only use Hogdon and Imr powders but now I use a lot of reloader, AA, and VV powders and this is another reason I like I like the Nosler book they cover all the powders none of the other bullet or powders company books do that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looks like a lot of good combinations coming from different powders, especially IMR 4350

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
anyone use Varget in their 25-06 loads? thinking about trying it with 90 gr. HPBTs

·
Registered
143 Posts
you may find varget a bit to fast burning for 90 gr. speed is down but does shoot accurately.75 grs are the go with varget but personally i find them a bit flighty in mild wind.
I THINK YOU ARE THE ONE THAT IS A LITTLE FLIGHTY
I don't know where you get your load information from but
A 25-06 COMPLETLY FULL OF VARGET WILL ONLY HOLD 61.2 GRAINS
SO TELL US HOW YOU GET THE OTHER 13.8 GRAINS PACKED IN IT???
WARNING
DO NOT USE ANY OF THIS GUYS RELOADS IF YOU WANT TO LIVE LONGER.

·
Registered
620 Posts
WARNING
I believe he is talking about bullet weights, not powder charges.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WARNING
uhm he is talking about 75 grain bullets? come down off your high horse for a little and read

·
Registered
143 Posts
then he should say so.
what if some new kid to reloading read that and tried it.
he could get some one killed.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Well, he is talking about 75 grain bullets. I figured that out no problem.

You stated well enough that you can't get 75 grains of Varget in the case, should have been a no brainer... no need to make a big deal out of it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts