Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good source of plain base bullets or bullet mold for a 25-20?  I am thinking about something around 80 grains.  Also, what is the effect of shooting a gas check bullet without the gas check?

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
I'm not sure about a source for the 25 cal bullet, but I can share my experience with gas check bullets. I tried some 30 cal 170 grain flat nose bullets that were designed for a gas check, but I didn't have a way to put the checks on. So I shot them without, and the results were awful- three to four inch groups at 50 yds. Later I got the same bullet with the gas checks on and I can get 1/2 inch groups at 50 yds, 2.5 to 3 inches at 200 yds. This is the only one I've tried, but it seems a gas check-type bullet NEEDS the check.         ID

·
Registered
38 Posts
twodot, I also shoot a 1894 in 25-20 and cast my own with a Lyman #2660420 25 cal 65 gr F/N GC. I cast mine of pure linotype, and boy do they shoot! I size mine with a lee sizer die and if I remember right I had to cal Lee and special order it as they didn't make it in .258. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts