Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
   Hey guys,
            Do any of y'all shoot and load this little round? I've been shooting it for years and enjoy the heck out of it. Many coyotes, jackrabbits and ground squirrels have fallen to the my little Win. 92. I have found it to be very easy to load, with cases lasting just about forever. 13 grs. 4198 behind a Speer 75 gr.FN bullet is very potent in this little pipsqueek round. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Great little gun and cartridge.  Many deer over the years have been killed with the combo, although a little light for my tastes.  I do love the cartridge for just the things you describe however, quiet report, no recoil and long case life.  Quite accurate too using a 86g FNGC bullet that we make. With the cast bullet it is a good hide hunting round in areas where shots aren't much over 125 yards.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
256 Posts
used the 25-20 for years as my cougar gun. Rifle was a little Rem. mod. 25 carbine (pump). Light as a feather and hung over my back it didn't snag on the brush. Rifle had a history as it was used for years by another cougar hunter before I got it. Probably several hundred cats to its credit between us ( the other guy got the lions share (is that a pun?) ).  My son has it now but it has a recently broken firing pin and he has been having problems getting it replaced. May end up making one for it myself . Also used it for fox, coyote, coon, deer and two black bear. It was my every day carry rifle at that time.  No hide damage. Used the WW hi speed hollow point, factory. Think it was a 60 grain bullet. Brain shot was sudden death.  BCstocker

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
     Thanks for the replies to my post. I'm such a nut for this little cartridge that I own four rifles. Two  '92SRCs and two 25 Rems. One of these is a 25R carbine that BC refered to. With a tang site these are real tack drivers. Years ago when Winchester announced that they were dropping the 60 gr OPE bullet from their line i was fast to order 500 of 'em. Needless to say they are mostly long gone. I have a few boxes of peters HV ammo remaining that used this bullet. They are over 50 yrs old but still work well. These days the Hornady 60 gr FP is the lightest available. 10.5 of 2400 is a killer with this bullet. I've not loaded lead bullets so far, but will try some soon. The 25-20 does not require a mint bore to be accurate, either.  My favorite '92 has a dark bore, but, has strong rifling. I have killed whitetail jacks at 250+ yds over in Nevada using this little gun. I sure do wish someone would produce the 60 gr hollow point again. Maybe someday.
                                  Happy Holidays to all, Mike

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,232 Posts
My dad has one on a Marlin 336 action (try to find THAT in the gun shop...).  Custom job that he built up himself.  That is what happens when you have a shop full of machine tools and too much time on your hands.....

His load is some el cheapo softpoint that he got in bulk from Midway, probably 86 grains.  Not sure what powder - maybe 4198, maybe 2400.

He uses it to shoot squirrels, crows, etc.  Saves deer for the bigger calibers like .250 Savage, .25-06, etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Love the round, had a Rem 25 a few years ago, got rid of it in a moment of poverty. Big mistake, cost too much to shoot the .270 that I kept and didn't put nearly as much meat onthe table.
Since then I replaced it with a Marlin 1894 Classic in .218Bee that had a terrible chamber, I quickly replaced the barrel with a .25-20 barrel and haven't looked back.
I have two loads and two different sights on the little carbine, my jacketed load is 9.0gr of 2400 under the 86gr Remington available in bulk from Midway, made a trade into almost 5K of 'em. My light-small game load is 5.0gr of AA#5 under and 86gr lead cast bullet. Used to cast 'em but I now just buy 'em since my mold has seen better days, and I'm just getting lazy.
There's not much I would rather use than the .25-20, easy on the pocketbook, easy on the ears and doesn't destroy too much meat.
The only other levergun chamberings I use with any regularity are the .35 Remington and .44-40 WCF. Guess I'm old fashioned when it comes to longguns.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Marlin 1894 CL I jusy got and tried out over xmas.  I loved the round ever since I had a 92 over 30 years ago when I was buliding cabins in the Blanco Basin in Colo.  I once shot a buck in thick aspens.  I only had two bullets (86gr gc cast with the great old Lyman mold since passed out of production)  I missed then hit him in the flank and had to follow him until he was too weak to go on then whacked him with a branch.  I had hit him in the liver!  Pretty dumb!  But I sure killed a lot of samll game with that old gun.  I remember potting ducks on the San Juan at 100yds and never missing.

I am looking forward to getting back and taking up the cause again with the Marlin.  I was a little disappointed though with the accuracy from cast bullets, current RCBS 86gr and Lyman 65gr gc.  Could not get the Hornaday gas check straight on the 65 gr.  Dont ever remember this problem with the old one.  Any tips or wisdom?

·
Banned
556 Posts
The 25-20 is too practical.  How about that .50AK?

Do you think I ream the chamber of my Marlin 39 to 50AK?  It would make a very lightweight effective carbine for hunting heffalumps here in these eastern woods.  :biggrin:

·
Registered
106 Posts
The 25-20 is a great little cartridge for fun guns. I've used a Marlin 1894CL since 1990 for squirrel and turkeys in WV. Hornady has a 60 grain pill, Speer a 75 gr., and Remington a 86gr. number. Those looking to shoot this round might still find a Marlin 1894CL on the local gunracks.

I've heard that factory ammo is either hard to find and or expensive. Reloading has always been the answer for busting caps, at least for me. The Lyman 3 die set will work and the expander die supplied will help those using cast bullets. My 3 die set (7469042) came with two bullet seating plugs, 450A and a 415. A couple of small files, dremel tool, etc., will help to eliminate maring of the bullet ogives by opening up the 450A seating plug. My only wish is Lyman would bring back the #257312 mold. NEI Handtools list a simular gas checked mold.

The Marlin 1894CL needs a little cleaning-up to be a good hunter. The trigger from the factory was as smooth as a canoe stuck on a gravel bar. A few minutes with a good gunsmith will fix that issue. Then a Lyman 66LA receiver sight and a 17A front sight was installed. That was when my eyes would still focus. Now a Leupold 1.75X6 scope is helping the tired old man.

This hoopie is living in Oregon and I don't think Oregon Fish & Wildlife Div. allows rifles for turkey hunting. Got to plan a trip back home.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Got my 1894 Marlin rifle when I was 14 years old, No telling how much camp meat it has taken. It was my grandfathers, so I made sure to keep it in good repair. It had one real bad pit in the bore at about the 25 inch mark when I got it, and it hasn't gotten any larger in the last 55 years, as long as I keep it clean. Took one mulie with it in Colorado when I was 15 every one was supprised, I was suposed to be getting camp meat, but a 20 yard shot looked easy to a 15 year old kid, so we had enough camp meat for that trip. I would never try that stunt again, and would not recommend it to anyone else.

Lee L.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Just curious, didn't James Jordan kill the record whitetail (world record for about 60 years) in Wisconsin using a 25-20?

I agree it's probably a bit underpowered chambering for all but close shots and cool headed shooters on deer sized game and up. Seems to be a neat round with a great history though.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
How about a run of .25-20 rifles? Marlin are you listening

Gentlemen:

I would like to see Marlin make another run of the M94 in 25-20. I would buy one.

Ralph.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
James Jordan killed the record buck with a .25-35, according to the 1981 Boone and Cockett record book, Records of North American Big Game, page 27.

Bye
Jack

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Thanks Jack. I get confused sometimes. :confused:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Gents,
Love the round, a real tackdriver in my Model "94. Haven't taken anything with it yet. 12gr of Rx7 under the bulk Rem 86gr JSP runs just under 1800fps with the cartridge loaded long, 1.64, thanx Marshall for ur piece on lengthening COAL!

I'd like to put a plug in for a group order from Lee in a 6 cavity mould. Take a look at the Cast Bullet forum, page 2, over on www.accuratereloading.com for a discussion of the designs, and their evolution. Got a PB version and a GC running about 80grains in a Tumble Lube configuration, flat point of course. Order form available on another thread.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=685768&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=21&fpart=1
http://www.hunt101.com/?p=195198&c=500&z=1
http://www.hunt101.com/img/178531.jpg
Cheers all!
R*2

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ralph McLaney said:
Gentlemen:

I would like to see Marlin make another run of the M94 in 25-20. I would buy one.

Ralph.

According to my Marlin rep, they are considering doing another run of the CL's in .25/20, .32/20 & Bee so it may happen before too long. They recently did a special run of .32/20s in "Cowboy" configuration for Davidsons so at least they're on the right track.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts