Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day, Doing a number of surches of many sights over the years, I noticed moderate following and infromation on a very old conversion made from 25-35 rifles of the past.
Just wanted to share my experiences over the last 37 years since converting and shooting one, some may find something of value.

I bought a savage 99 at a gun show swap meet back in 1984 up here in Canada, it's caliber was 22 high power, I didnt pay much $150 I believe, shortly there after finding out it was worth no more mabey less! Lol. The barrel rifling was all but gone and try as I might with cast bullets, it was a 8 in grouper at 50 yards head spacing with that bottle neck shell was not great either.
The following year same gun show, I gave the take down barrel to an elderly gentleman from Kalispell Mt. who bore barrels (a lost art today)chambered ect. he said that barrel needed a conversion if I wanted hunting accuracy, he recommend 25-35 Ackley imp, $150.
It was a labour of love in the beginning, no internet back then, had a cartridges of the word and PO Akley vol 1-2 trial and error.
Jump ahead 30 some odd years, that 119 year old lever is still going strong very accurate and has taken its fare share or coyotes and deer.
I primarly shoot 85-100gr bullets, make my cases from 30-30 .

I start out with new 30-30 brass, lube well, 1. Run it through a 7-30 waters die expander removed 2. Run it through a 6.5 creedmoor die expander removed (you are only worried about neck area at this point don't size too far) 3. Now use your 25-35AI FL die, go in small increments checking in your rifle so the lever or bolt just closes with slight effort, this will help keep unwanted folds an creases and set your head space off the shoulder. 4. Anneal the shoulder and neck area. 5. Load a light load for fire forming, I use a light lead or jacket bullet with 7 gr of unique powder.
There are so many 30-30 cases out there, stick to one brand, the volume variance huge.
Best powder to date has been Leverevolution , 85gr bullets 3100+ 100gr bullets 3000+ fps, with no stuck case or excessive pressure , given the age of the rifle, I shoot 100 gr at 2950 normally get 5 reloads, anneal every reload.

Hope this helps someone, cheers

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hello Bigmedcin and welcome. . I shot a marlin336 in 250 AI.. 24in barrel sounds like we're running neck and neck on velocity .. I find 243 winchester load data and bullet weights to run so close that I use there data and powders to work up new loads for the 250 AI .

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Nice story, thanks for sharing.
I've been a fan of the 25-35 Win. for a long time, and was finally able to pick up a 25-35 when Win. brought out their Trails End model in 25-35 Win. in 2005. As much as I appreciate the looks and performance increase of the AI version, mine will stay 'as is', given the collector interest that is being shown. Besides, the factory form suits my purposes just fine. I've seen more than one reference to the 25-35 as being just about the ideal rifle for called up coyotes.
Back in the 70's I had a 6mm x 30-30 Ackley Imp. on a vintage High Wall action (likely built in the 40's-50's) and went through virtually the same case forming process you described above. It was set up as a heavy barrel varmint rifle with a 12" twist. It shot 75 and 85 grain bullets very well.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Years ago, my Uncle Harold (1886 - 1970) and Aunt Lillian (1889-1973) roamed the mountains of Mifflin County, Pennsylvania for deer and bears. Both hunters carried Remington slide action rifles. Uncle Harold chose a 30 caliber but Aunt Lillian favored her beloved 25 caliber. The stock was shortened to fit her body and she shot accurately with it. Many deer and a few bears were downed by Aunt Lillian. Her rifle was gifted to their oldest son and he hunts with it to this day. He has a local shop handload ammo for this rifle.

TR

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,363 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Please take some time to read through the stickies, including the one that says "look for an appropriate forum topic, before dumping things in the first(general) forum you find".
I've moved this for you, but make an effort going forward, please.

Also for providing load data where there is none published, please post the warning about experiential loads five at the top of this forum.

Cheers

Reactions: Pudfark and kdub

·
Registered
220 Posts
Bigmedcin, welcome to the forum, hope you have your touk on (don't have a clue of the Canadian spelling of what we would call a stockjng cap!) I'm guessing it is cold up there!

As a long time novice here myself, I strongly advise reading the "stickies" at the top of each forum topic. Also, try to read the dates of postings as Darkker gets bent on those too. He has a thing for "zombie threads!" Personally I like him, very knowledgeable.

So welcome from NE Georgia! Have fun here, the wealth of knowledge & experience is great!

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
No besmirching Darkker, he's got a tough job here, never asks for a raise. He's got a real soft streak in him, he only over looks it when folks are standing on it. ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I entirely agree w/you Pudfark! Just doing a tongue in cheek poke-poke there. I actually think I would not in a million years want to be a moderator, it is a VERY tough & thankless job! But, I do very much thank all the moderators, I think they do a very admirable job! Even when I don't agree w/them!

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Good evening,

I sure enjoy shooting the .25-35AI in my 24” TC barrel.

My posts are all over the forum so I wont double post stuff but case forming is certainly no problem if some thinking is is involved. If I had 7-30 dies that would have been my first step. I use a .219 Wasp No. 1 form die which does a similar job.

I favor the 75 grain JHPSierra bulletfor varmints and target shooting. A very accurate bullet in my rifle.

For deer any 100 grain bullet works but I like the bulk Remington Core Locts and the Speer bullets.

I use the 100 grain JHP Speer bullet for deer in both the standard .25-35 and in the Improved case. This is a varmint bullet for the .25-06 and works well in the .25-35 for deer at close range.
I agree with you on case capacity. I tend to use Remington or Winchester cases. I always use new bress to form and anneal them before firing. I use the candle method now which works fine.

Because of the time spent forming cases I go ahead and bottom the primer pockets and deburr the flash holes.

I do not use Leverevolution powder without published load data. As you look around the forum you will see I have played with a lot of powder in cases with no published load data.

Leverevolution powder will give me a surprise every now and then with bullets heavier than mid weight for a cartridge and warm days. Leverevolution powder works very well within published load data but I get nervous with this powder on hot days with heavy bullets. Typical problems are sticky extraction and flat primers.

The.25-35AI will exhibit a cling to the chamber walls at high pressure loading just as the .30-30AI will and will “snap” free of the chamber as extraction starts. This is not sticky extraction.

For powder, IMR 4320 is hard to best in my rifle. Very uniform velocities. IMR 4329 is very predictable for velicity and has never surprised me withany bullet weight.

I use quite a bit of Alliant Reloder 10X with 100 grain and lighter bullets. High velocities with predictable increases and excellent accuracy with a wide range of bullet manufacturers. Reloader 10X does not work well for bullets over 110 grains.

I have no regrets, the .25-35AI is an excellent cartridge with just a bit more Improvement than I needed. If I had it to do over again I would have gone with the milder Improvement of the .25 Bellum or the .25-35 Tomcat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts