Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few rifles from my youth lying around including two .25-20s and a .25-35. I am interested in working up some hotter loads for these two calibers, especially the .25-35. Anyone have some good loads for this rifle? Also, what is the availability of brass and bullets. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I have tried some HOT loads in my 24" .25-35 TC barrel. I broke the extractor pretty early in the game! The cases stick pretty quick!
My best loads have been built around the Sierra 75JHP. These shoot into 3/4" when using a scope above 10X.
For field shooting a 6X is normaly used and it will shoot into 1 1/2" from field positons.
I have never found any new unprimed brass. Factory ammo is vailable from Graff and Sons and Midway.
I make my brass from .375 Win and from .30-30 using a variety of dies. The last stage is the hardest. I use a .219 Zipper #1 form die from Redding. These redding form dies are great! Smooth inside! I use Imperial size die wax.

I have been looking at Francis Sell's .25-35 Tomcat for sevral years now. It is not as radical as the Ackley Improved.

I have found the .25-35 to be a very good cast bullet cartridge with any reasonable powder.
I have a two cavity mold from NEI, It throws two different bullets, one 110 gr and the 117 gr.. It is sure sad news to hear of Walt Melanders passing. A very nice fellow.

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Slim. Now, as to powders are there others you recommend, and if so, how many grains? I would love to see the .25-35 become popular again. It was my favorite rifle for many years and with the right loads it should still suffice for game from coyotes to deer.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Didn't Jim Jordan kill the World Record whitetail with a 25-35 years ago? I guess the Hanson buck from Biggar was ruled bigger, but it didn't seem to have the mass of the Jordan buck.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
Here are some MAX loads from Ken Waters' article in Handloader #204, April 2000.

Bullet - Hornady 117gr RN

IMR 3031 - 25gr 2388fps
IMR 4895 - 26gr 2301fps
IMR 4064 - 26gr 2378fps
IMR 4320 - 27gr 2406fps
RL-12 - 27gr 2419fps
W-748 - 28gr 2451fps
H-380 - 29gr 2336fps

H-380 gave him the best accuracy (tied with a light load of 4064) and 4320 gave second best, both at their maximums.

As always, use with caution, since I have more thumbs than fingers sometimes! Also, Ken listed other bullet weights if you are interested; 86gr Rem FP, 75gr Speer FP and 111gr cast Lyman bullet. IDShooter

PS- How are the pronghorns faring over there this year? I can't come out and hunt them at my step-father in-law's because I'm back in college, but I love to hunt them and as soon as I finish school I hope to re-start the tradition! He lives near Ingomar, not TOO far from you I believe?

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, IDShooter. And why in the world would you want to learn Algebra now? The "New Math" of 35 years ago ruined me for a lifetime.

And yes, Ingomar, home of the famous Jersey Lily, is in our neighborhood. Only about 60 miles west of here. Antelope numbers are good though they have temporarily left us and gone north looking for sprouted winter wheat. They will return en masse in a couple weeks. I have seen some really nice bucks earlier, bucks that would push 78-80 B&C.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Sunday,

I looked up some of my data and it looks like IMR 4320 is the best all around powder for me. Remember I have a 24" barrel.

A Winchester Factory loads gives 2245 fps from my barrel.

My most accurate load to date is 28.0 gr of IMR 4320 and 75 gr Sirra JHP at 2595 fps. This is a warm load in the Contender. Very uniform and accurate.

The 86 gr Remington JFN (for the .25-20) gives good results 27.0 gr of IMR 4320 giving 2311 fps and less than one inch at 100 yards. Scopes help!

I have loaded up to 28.0 gr of Winchester 748 with 117 gr JRN bullets and got 2329 fps with surprising accuracy.

The .25-35 sticks cases easily in any chamber. I had to switch to the Contender because I was trying to make the levers do something they were not designed for. I do think that a modern angle eject Winchester or Marlin 336 in the Francis Sell's Tomcat would be the ticket. Then I would be complaining about the lack of a good 100 gr JFN bullet!

I have not chronographed any of my lead bullet loads. The NEI #21 114 gr long nose flat point gas check bullet is a real winner. This bullet is for single shots and will require deep seating for the lever guns. For levers the #23 110 gr FNGC is the ticket. My mold throws one of each. Both bullets have a large diameter nose which fills the chamber throat. The drive band can be sized down without distorting the bullet if you have trouble closing your action.
For light cast bullet loads I have have had good luck with the starting loads of Unuque listed in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
Why am I taking Algebra ?

Sunday,
I'm an education major (I want to be an elementary school teacher) and I have to take the highest level algebra as a prerequisite for Math for Elementary Teachers - go figure! My tag line is in reference to the fact that I have not taken any math classes for 18yrs or so and my Algebra class was giving me fits at the beginning of the semester. It's going much better now, I seem to have dusted off the proper neurons. But I'm still too busy to shoot much - school in the daytime and work on nights and weekends. As for new math, I had that too in the 70's. It befuddled me so badly my dad taught me how to do math the old way in the evenings.

Funny you should mention the Jersey Lilly, I happen to have my Jersey Lilly "Final Frontier" shirt on today!

Take care, and good luck with your 25-35. ID

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
This whole topic has got me to thinking.... Not about math - which I enjoy..... but about .25-35's

I have allways wanted a re-barrelled Krag in .25-35. Has anyone ever played around with a re-barrelled Krag in any caliber? How about the Krag man?

A friend has a 6.5 X 55mm Krag and it is really something special! I know they used to barrel Krags for Hornet, Bee, .25-35 and I have heard of a Zipper or two. Where did they all go? You would think you would run across one at a gun show now and then. I have never seen a re-barrelled Krag at a gun show. Has anyone else?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Are you guys referring to Lily Langtry? An all time babe from the good old days, if there ever was one. I didn't know she ended up in Montana. She'd make a good gun deliverer.

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guy - The Jersey Lily is where you need to take your wife for your next anniversary! They are famous for their beans and the outhouses are out back. Also, no pavement anywhere in beautiful downtown Ingomar.

·
Registered
516 Posts
But John, Our anniversary is in mid-February. Are the outhouse seats heated, or should I bring the foam donut from home?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sunday Creek, was looking through my Lyman 41st edition loading manual (1951) and found for the 117 gr jacketed for the 25-35 loads as follows:
4198 starting 17.5 max 20.5 1930 to 2210 fps
hi-vel starting 18.0 max 22.1 1740 to 2100 fps
4895 starting 20.0 max 25.5 1900 to2300 fps
3031 starting 21.0 max 26.5 1930 to 2350 fps
4320 starting 23.0 max 28.0 1950 to 2295 fps
This manual also has cast loads ifin your interested.

Gun Runner

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guy, you will need a heated foam pad. Preferably battery-charged as the extension cords may not reach.
Gun Runner, thanks for the info.
Now guys, today I went to town and traded a bolt gun for a Marlin in .218 Bee. Any load ideas for this?

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
218 Bee Marlin

We should start a new thread!

I have the NEI #1, 35 grain LdFnGc bullet, 5.0 gr Unique gives 2025 fps with very light leading - good load.

With Winchester bulk jkt soft nose Hornet bullets try:

14.5 gr IMR 4198 - 2402 fps

11.0 gr H0dgdon 110 - 2587 fps

Best load overall is IMR 4227 12.5 grains gives 2622 fps. This is a good uniform load in my Marlin. I have used all types of small rifle primers but like the Remingtons in the Bee. I have a 1.5 X 5 scope. I have not done a trigger job but it needs one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts