Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a 250 Savage barrel for a TC Encore made in the Custom Shop. It is 14", polished blue, no sights, and never been fired. My question is what is a barrel like this worth. I didn't own an Encore when I received these barrels but went out and picked one up and mounted the 250 24" rile barrel and was shocked by how accurate the setup was. My dilemma is I pretty much use it as a rifle not a pistol. Where is a good place to sell online if I go that route?

·
Registered
163 Posts
250 Encore

When I got my encore a couple years back, the 250 Savage was one of the two calibers I specifically wanted so ordered it from the T/C Custom Shop with iron sights installed. I believe the value of yours is about $319 new but I doubt you will get that. You probably should be able to sell it for about $260 since it is in a hard-to-find caliber. You are right about it being accurate. My custom barrel is 20" and with a Williams peep sight, it routinely gets 1-1/2" groups at 100m using 100 gr projectiles. Unlike my old Savage Mod 99 which it replaced, the Encore barrel shoots all bullets from 75 gr to 120 gr accurately.
There are a number of auction sites where you should be able to seel the barrel.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I inherited a 250 Savage barrel for a TC Encore made in the Custom Shop. It is 14", polished blue, no sights, and never been fired. My question is what is a barrel like this worth. I didn't own an Encore when I received these barrels but went out and picked one up and mounted the 250 24" rile barrel and was shocked by how accurate the setup was. My dilemma is I pretty much use it as a rifle not a pistol. Where is a good place to sell online if I go that route?
Two things here:

1) Gunbroker shows two 250 Savage barrels for an Encore pistol configuration. With scope is $450, w/o is $395, so I would say yours is worth ~$350-$400.

2) If that barrel is only 14" long and you have a butt-stock attached to the frame, you are in violation of Federal law by possessing a short-barreled rifle. Simply possessing said firearm is a felony. Please remove the barrel from the action and only shoot it when you have a pistol grip attached to the frame. (Silly, I know, but that's the law...)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Direct from T/C Custom Shop - Std Factory Blued finish - $281. High Luster Blued finish - $307. That is for a standard taper. Heavy taper is $291 and $316. Bull is $301 and $326. You can get those custom ordered from 9" to 15". The 250 Savage is B30123 on the chart - left hand side.

http://www.tcarms.com/customShop/chart_encore_pistol.php

It's not a regular caliber (as far as buying it in a "whole gun" configuration in the Encore platform), so it might sell more quickly than some others. There are lots of sites to sell it on, including an Encore Classified site:

http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/

Of note - now is not the best time to sell TC Encore barrels. There are some being sold, and someone might really want that .250 Savage of yours. However, TC is running a $50 rebate program on their barrels right now, and EABCO is selling a ton of them. You can pick up a new blued rifle barrel at EABCO (blued) for about $257 right now for most calibers, and about $250 for most pistol calibers. With the $50 rebate, you're picking up brand new barrels for about $200. That rebate program ends December 31st. After that, I expect the prices for the Encore barrels on the used pages might get more attention.

http://www.eabco.com/encore.html

All the best,
Glenn

·
Registered
285 Posts
1) Gunbroker shows two 250 Savage barrels for an Encore pistol configuration. With scope is $450, w/o is $395, so I would say yours is worth ~$350-$400.
I used Gunbroker for years for price shop comparison. With the recent panic buying, the prices on that site were pretty inflated, and never came back down on a lot of things. I have bought guns online from Gb, and got good deals on the stuff I wanted. Always a pleasant buying experience. However, I haven't found a "deal" on there recently, and the majority of the time, I'm buying locally to save money - the exact opposite of why I used Gb in the past. I still surf Gb on a daily basis, hoping to find a deal sooner or later... but for now, I try not to base average prices on what Gb sellers have them listed for. Just my .02

All the best,
Glenn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts