Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I have been loading for about 25+ years, you would think I have it down pat by now, I am looking to standardize on a 250gr Keith and a 250gr WFNGC for my 5 1/2in. SBH and my 629-5 Mountain Gun.

My experience tells me that load data (ballistics) should be the same for any bullet of the same material and weight, but will my point of impact be the same for both of these bullets using the same load?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
13,430 Posts
Pressure depends not only on bullet weight and diameter and hardness and powder charge and primer choice and case capacity, but also upon how much volume the powder begins burning in? That means, for the bullets to burn the powder identically, the seating depths (how deep the base is inserted into the case), in addition to those other factors, also has to match.

Seating Depth = case length + bullet length - COL

Working from already having seating depth for one bullet, for the other it then must be:

COL = case length + bullet length -Seating Depth

We have a discussion of the significance of friction from different bullet bearing surface lengths going in another thread, but have no conclusive information there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts