Shooters Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
My .44 is a Special, but there is not a lot of difference. I use the 240 grain SWC, and have used both the lubed and the coated, either is fine. Coated bullets can now be bought online, if you want to try some before you buy the equipment to make your own. I've used all the powders you mention, and for hunting, H110 and Accurate #9 are the ones you want to work with. Pay attention to what the manuals tell you. Most of my handgun-hunting is done with my 6" M57 S&W in .41 Mag, and there is not much difference there, either. I hunt mule deer, though. Have fun, Gene

·
Registered
328 Posts
A friend gave me a couple hundred of what looks like the same bullet as the OP. I typically use Unique with cast bullets and load to moderate velocities, and 296 with magnum-level loads and jacketed bullets mostly out of my scoped Redhawk. I shot a couple deer with jacketed magnum loads - they were complete pass-throughs and hurt my ears. I switched to 240 gr. LSWC's at moderate velocities (my practice load) some years back, they pass completely through, too at least on the 2 or 3 deer I've shot with them.
I've been experimenting with the 250/255's and they shoot well in my guns, very accurate with moderate charges of Unique. I know I can make them go a lot faster, but I don't see the need. Haven't shot a deer with one yet, though.
to the OP: I'd start with a medium load of 231, work up a little at a time and when you find an accuracy sweet spot, or when you get to 1000 fps, go with it. Unless you're taking shots past 50 yds. that should be plenty to punch through a deer, though I don't know where you're hunting or how big they are there. If your Mod. 29 is your close-in gun, or out to 35-50 yds., it should be fine. If it's your primary hunting gun, you may want to go for the higher velocities for the longer shots.

·
Registered
63 Posts
How'd you fit this bullet in a Marlin ?
I shot two bullets typically in my .44's. one is an rcbs 250 gr. Kieth style SWC and the second is a Lyman LFN or WNFP, do not remember which, but it is the solid version of their HP Devistor which they no longer catalogue. I know I shot the Lyman bullet through my 1894 Marlin with no problems feeding through the tube magazine. I do not remember if I tried the Keith SWC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Been away for a few days internet was very spotty. I am in awe from the responses and knowledge that you guys have given to me totally appreciate from all. for those who have asked the previous owner had slugged the barrel and i believe it was.430 he had work done to the cylinder and cylinder lock. he used to cast his own lead but decided to sell his mold to someone in pensylvania inturn he had I tink 1000 cast bullets made for him. I am starting to work up loads with H110 / Accurate #7 accurate #9 and trying to get 2400. I obtained 1000 240gr swc (.430) the 255gr swc are also (.430)
my jacketed hp's 240gr are running .4295 and .430 I will be looking for shots up to 50 yards and it seems that around 1200 fps will work just fine with the 255ers I thank all of you again will report on my progress. I'll keep checking and looking forward for more advise and see what I can do with help with my 45.
angioplasty

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I know you all have seen and some have the classic 29 but always wanted one. still go down to the safe( to many times)
and take it out to check it out
Revolver Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel Gun accessory

21 - 25 of 25 Posts