Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is just knit-picking but are there any 'real' advantages or disadvantages to either??? The rifle will be used as an all around lightweight deer/coyote/whateverpopsup kind of rifle. Any experience???

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
Advantages for the .257 AI are- Dies are readily available, not special order. Douglas chambers .257AI but not 260AI. You will get a greater increase in potential over the parent cartridge with the .257AI.

Advantages for the .260AI are - Heavier bullets are available for bigger game. Cases can be made from cheap, plentiful .308 brass. The biggest disadvantage is start-up cost; your are going to pay quite a lot for the privelige of shooting that rascal!

If you don't plan to hunt game bigger than deer I'd go with the .257AI. If the possibility of bigger game is there, I'd go with the 260, factory OR AI.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whitetails are the intended game. There will be the occasional hog and hopefully quite a few coyotes. All I want is a capable big game cartridge crossed with a decent large varmint cartridge out to about 300 yards or so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts