Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a recent shoulder injury and now have to be a little kinder to it and I've made my decision on a 257 roberts and found a nice used Ruger M77 but Im just curious if the recoil is really as light as everyone has told me i dont need to hear about the avaliblitly of ammo or anything like that (and yes im a little biased because Ive always wanted one lol) thank you everyone in advance for the insight.

·
Registered
11,938 Posts
The .257 is one of the mild kicking chamberings. I'd rate it in the same category as the .243 or 6mm if in 7+ lb rifle. Most of the commerical ammo is downloaded, unless it's +P stuff, which will be gentler on the shoulder.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,965 Posts
Honestly, just use Google and look up a recoil calculator to compare to what you had before...
Otherwise what you asked was: "Is this food spicy?".

Spicy and recoil is subjective. To me there isn't a 308 on this planet that kicks. MZ5 however is getting a little long in the tooth, and thinks that cartridge is worthy of a muzzle brake.:D

Reactions: D Lee

·
Registered
11,938 Posts
Well it's definately a big step down in recoil from a .270. Id personally rate ..257 closer to a .243 or 6MM in the recoil department. Another thing is a lot of factory ammo is downloaded unless it +P rated.

·
Registered
11,938 Posts
Just now noticed there are two identical threads. Thought my first post didn't go though so hit the other one before I realized my mistake.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,458 Posts
Merged the two threads for you.

One of the finest, light-kicking deer cartridges ever invented. Good luck...

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,965 Posts
Use a recoil calculator.
Recoil had to do with rifle weight, bullet weight, powder charge.

If ALL rifles only had one weight, then you know that the 223 will be the lightest, then the Bob, then the O'Conner.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Darkker is correct, recoil can differ with the design of the stock and overall weight of the rifle. As I have said on here before 'European' style stocks with lots of drop kick the doo doo out of me, even 243s, but well designed straight through stocks found on most US designed stocks, where the top edge of the stock , runs in line with the barrel makes a huge difference. I have owned two 257 Roberts rifles, one a lightweight Ruger and the other a heavier custom built and the recoil from both was minimal. I now have a wildcat 257 which runs close to a 257 Ackley version of the Roberts. It is an Encore and the recoil on that is so manageable I can see the bullet strike, nine times out of ten. The 257Rbts will do most anything you need to do in North America if you put the projectile in the right place.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The rifle in question is a ruger m77 made in the mid 1970s 24" medium barrel. Oh and darker I'm sorry i guess i didnt realize i needed to do my calculations before posting........ but i thought it would be nice to get some feedback from some people not the internet. To me real world experiance is worth more than any calculation.

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
I've shot a few guns and one I liked the least was a lowly 30/30. It had a ton of drop at heel and comb, weighed next to nothing and had a steel butt plate. Felt like I'd insulted Cassius Clay when I touched it off.

With a straight(er) stock, a little weight, and quality recoil pad, what you "feel" drops tremendously. The stock on your M77 will be just fine, and the weight of a medium barrel will help tame the recoil. There are two more things you can do to make shooting your 257 Bob a pleasurable experience:

Buy a Sims Vibration Laboratory, Limbsaver recoil pad and install it. It has the consistency of the really soft, squishy computer mouse pads and eats up recoil like a boys soccer team eats pizza.

Learn to handload. You'll be able to select bullets and charge weights that suit your buttocks (wallet), shoulder, and your intended quarry. Win, win, win! :)

Reactions: D Lee

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a custom barreled 257 Roberts on a 725 Remington in the factory BDL stock and can see the bullet impact in the scope the recoil is that light. I taught my then 12yr old son to shoot with it along side his .22.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,965 Posts
. Oh and darkKer I'm sorry i guess i didnt realize i needed to do my calculations before posting........ .
Don't need to get upset, in every single post including mine you've gotten real world answers. But when you start asking how a Bob compares to a 270, then wonder how a 223 would compare. It seems as though you fail to understand some basic physics that would be as useful as anything.
Thus my repeated suggestion to use a calculator and see the numbers, once you get a look at them and can see the difference; then personal opinion on kick can mean more.

No one here including your posts, has asked for any specific info on body build or age and rifles shot. If you are 80, 5'2" and have only had one rifle in your life, but the responders are 33, 6'4" and love shooting big weatherby's; the opinions might not be helpful to you.
That has been my point, as my first post poking fun at MZ5 showed.

Reactions: MZ5

·
Registered
11,938 Posts
Yeah, recoil is a very subjective thing and variable between rifles of the same chambering.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,600 Posts
Darkker, was your milk sour this morning? :D Not everyone sees things as numbers, or wants to. :confused:

I'd say the .257 is a good choice for a bum shoulder. I can't see it having any more recoil than a .243 which is a tad more than a .223 in the same rifle. I'd also have to say the M94 30-30 did have a bit of recoil . . . . . . when I was ten.

I know a 92 year young man who might weigh 140 pounds that shoots his M70 Featherweight 30-06 like it's a Daisy Red Ryder (his firearms collection is quite vast) . Size, build or age have less to do with felt recoil than one's attitude. Yes, stock/barrel configuration has a boat load to do with felt recoil, but in the case of a mild shooting cartridge like the .257 Roberts in a bolt gun? No numbers needed to cipher that sum.

gmc_1994, I feel your pain, truly I do. I'm on the downhill slide of a second shoulder repair. (12 May 2010 and 30 July, 2015) I WILL be back to shooting my big Remingtons (I hate Weatherbys ;) ) by next summer and given a bit more time, you'll be shooting that .270 again too.

RJ

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
RJ, I'd like that post twice, if they let me. :)

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
I shot a lot of 117gr Remington factory RNs back in the late 80s and through the 90s and killed a load of animals, deer,pigs, aoudad, goats, mouflon, coyotes and they did the job admirably with little recoil. A good cartridge to look at if they are still available.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
It's very easy to figure out and have fun shooting at the same time. The recoil of a 100 grain .257 will be about double a .223 in similar weight rifles, so just add the weight of the rifle to the .257 rifle by way of draping a sand bag over the back of the butt. When shooting over sandbags, this adds enough weight and friction to cut any hard kicker to manageable levels. Otherwise you could recognize double-rifle sight regulators by their twitching and spastic way of talking to you. >twitch< My bag is ten pounds of #6 shot in two five lb. sections with soft leather between them like soft leather, miniature saddle bags of shot that will fit behind a monte carlo or on the back of the cheek piece. There is no sporting rifle really uncomfortable to shoot if it weighs ten pounds more.

Reactions: Kevinbear
1 - 20 of 33 Posts