Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
I have came across a 257 Roberts for sale and looking for some help or wisdom. Now this is suppose to be a custom built gun and from what I see it could be, but I wanting to know if there is any way to find out who built this gun? I would include some pictures, but don't know how. If anyone can help, I would be greatly appreciated and if you could put a value on it please include. I you can drop me an email for the pics at ***deleted for your protection:*** Thank you

Please PM TIM with interests

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Just FYI, they will caution you where putting any value of a gun is concerned. Also for putting a personal email address, just so you know. You can go to a site called photobucket and download pictures then come back to here and put down the link to get to them. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
I would include some pictures, but don't know how. If anyone can help, I would be greatly appreciated and if you could put a value on it please include. Thank you
timpol,
Welcome. Here's some clear & quick instructions for posting pics: http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=72805

And fred is correct; not a good idea to post email addy as spambots can pick it up. Best that the PM (Private Message) function is used for personal correspondence. You may edit out your email address in your original post if you wish, or if it's not clear how (edit button at bottom of post), ask and one of us mods can do so for you.

Best to get an indicative value from something like gunbroker.com, or galleryofguns.com, although if a 'custom' gun you'll need some indication of the gunsmith that did it, if he has a big name, etc., and even then, there might be very few or none out there to compare. Good luck.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,578 Posts
Welcome also. The Roberts is a favorite of mine, having been used over the years on deer, hogs, and various other targets.

Post a pic, but if you want it, then be satisfied that it is one of the classic north american game cartridges, and suitable for a great many critters.

Good luck.....

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Ditto what Mike said. I love mine.
Who cares who built yours as long as it shoots well. My Bob loves the 110 grain Accubond, which seems to be the right bullet driven at that speed,( 2800-2950 FPS) that bullet will go through two hogs at 150 yds if you line them up right. That's as good of penetration as you could expect from any caliber.
Good Luck

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've owned two .257 Roberts rifles and still have one by Remington. I've taken several deer with mine and it is a very fine long range cartridge for deer size game. If one handloads it is quite easy to closely approach 25/06 velocities and power. 100grn bullets at 3200fps and 115grn bullets at 3000fps are safely doable, assuming a 24" barrel.

About the only widespread complaint, if you could call it that, is the problem getting really fine accuracy from most rifles in this caliber. I've never managed to get average groups much below 1.5" at 100yds. Every .250/3000 I've fired was a 3/4" average shooter in bolt guns or just over 1" in the M99 lever gun. This is irrelevant for deer hunting as 1.5" is plenty accurate for all but tiny varmints at great distances.

This fine .257R rifle is from the limited production run some 25 years back.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
timpol,
Welcome. Here's some clear & quick instructions for posting pics: http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=72805

And fred is correct; not a good idea to post email addy as spambots can pick it up. Best that the PM (Private Message) function is used for personal correspondence. You may edit out your email address in your original post if you wish, or if it's not clear how (edit button at bottom of post), ask and one of us mods can do so for you.

Best to get an indicative value from something like gunbroker.com, or galleryofguns.com, although if a 'custom' gun you'll need some indication of the gunsmith that did it, if he has a big name, etc., and even then, there might be very few or none out there to compare. Good luck.
Hey Shawn, can the bob be safely loaded to equally compete with the 25-06 ? Also what do you think of a cartridge i would love to have a gun made for. It's a Remington 6.5mm mag AI with 40 degree shoulder and all body taper removed then necked down to .257. In a .308 length action with a 27-28 inch barrel it should be able to keep up with the .257 Weatherby or be right on its heels anyway. Any advice would be greatly appreciated sir, Thank you

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
Hey Shawn, can the bob be safely loaded to equally compete with the 25-06 ?
Good question. IMO, 'no', not equally. If getting 25-05 velocities from a 257 Roberts, some parameter is being pushed too hard (or equipment is not the same), and I'll take a wild guess - pressure! If wanting 25-06 velocity, my advice is to get a 25-06! I sold a Ruger M77 tang safety in 257 Roberts quite a few years ago and regretted it ever since.

Factory 257 Roberts is loaded to a lower pressure than factory 25-06 ammo. In a modern rifle, there are no 'laws' dictating that someone cannot load a 257 Roberts to 25-06 SAAMI pressures, but case volumes are not the same, and if getting 25-06 velocity from a 257 Roberts case, either the pressure has to go up (in the 257), whether by different powder burn rate, or, the 257 has a longer barrel (in combination with powder burn rate rate and bullet weight), or...magic! Actually, there's no magic, just differences that are choices in equipment and risk taking.

We don't want to hijack timpol's 257 thread with the 6.5 question. Send me a PM, or feel free to start a new thread on the question.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,578 Posts
There's no need or reason to make it into something it isn't. The charm of the Roberts is that standard bullets work very well and very reliably at standard velocities. Same for the .250 Savage. In a good rifle both are plenty accurate.

I'm not opposed to speed - I have a .257 Weatherby. It is an entirely different animal. A little rough on bullets and messy on the receiving end :eek: but fun when you want to do that.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Over the years I have had a number of .257's factory and custom. Accuracy was no problem. Some rifles are more finicky than others. The most recent experience involved a #1B Ruger that appeared marginal. Needed some bullets and the only thing handy at a local retailer was a 100gr. Sierra Match bullet. I would hate to spend the money to come up with a more accurate rig. The most recent project was putting a .257 Adams and Bennett barrel on a Savage 110-worked very well. Back in the day my varmint rifle was a built up Mauser with Douglas 1/12 twist magnum weight barrel. When Ned Roberts introduced the .257 his standard for a usable load was ten shot groups into an inch at 100 yards using his state of the art custom rifle. Roberts loaded the rounds to 50000 psi if I recall correctly. If anybody wants a 25-06 level of performance then get a 25-06.

·
Registered
381 Posts
When I read or hear about a custom .257R, my first thought is the action is some mauser (ususally a small ring) that has been rebarreled to 257R. I have two of them and they are nice shooting rifles. But then I've seen 1903 springfields in 257 as well as M1917s. Jeez you could hot rod a 257 in a 1917 action. Also, there have been military Japanese Arisakas and Italian Carcanos rechambered to 257R. Problem with these two is the strong probability that the barrel may still be the original 6.5 military barrel, so it is really a 6.5X257R. I have an Arisaka and Type I Japanese Carcano that are 6.5x257R. Chuckle, noticed an Arisaka listed as a 257R on Gunbroker yesterday and its description mentioned, rechambered to 257R. Barrel of rifle was definitely the Jap military barrel and there was nothing mentioned about it having a 6.5 bore. Hope the buyer will be aware he's buying a 6.5X257R and that he is a reloader.

By the way, should be the 257 A.I. that gets close to performance of a 25-06.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Have seen some real desecrations where original .257's including pre-64 M70 and 50's era FN sporters were rechambered to 25-06. A friend traded into with a vintage FN factory sporter originally a .250 Savage that had been reamed out to .25-06. This same person has a similar FN 30-06 that was spoiled when some citizen drilled into the bore installing sling studs in the stock.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Couldn't resist showing my full custom M98 in .257 Roberts...;)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Thanks! I stumbled on it about 2 years ago, being sold unfired after being built. Douglas air gage barrel, Timney trigger, M70 steel buttplate, custom turned down bolt handle, engine turned bolt body and extractor and two position M70 type safety. I am lucky someone else decided to part with her. She happens to be a shooter too.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
I have came across a 257 Roberts for sale and looking for some help or wisdom. Now this is suppose to be a custom built gun and from what I see it could be, but I wanting to know if there is any way to find out who built this gun? I would include some pictures, but don't know how. If anyone can help, I would be greatly appreciated and if you could put a value on it please include. I you can drop me an email for the pics at ***deleted for your protection:*** Thank you

Please PM TIM with interests
I own two custom M98s. One has the builder's name in sight on the barrel near the receiver. The other, much nicer rifle, has the builder's name on the underside of the barrel and the stock must be removed to see it. It may also give a build year there as well. Good Luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I own a few 257's.... my favorite two are in a Remington 722's.
I handload all my center fire....
.257Rob is a wonderful round. Excellant medium game round, low recoil, a true gem of a round.
IMHO you will love the round, it's so versatile.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts