Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a howa 1500 short action in 22-250 that is not affected by the recall. thinking of rebarreling to 6.5-284 but am unsure of any potential feeding problems due to the fatter case. looking for around 3000 fps from a 26" bbl. with 140 gr. bullets. question, to eliminate any feeding problems will the 260 rem. improved 40 degree get me there or thereabouts? this would preclude a separate forming die and allow the use of the less expensive 260 brass while still being able to use factory 260 rem. ammo in a clutch. any input would be greatly appreciated. most cordially, victor e.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,584 Posts
Conventional wisdom would suggest work may be necessary on the feed rails, magazine, and cartridge follower.

And it's even possible that work would have to be done on the bolt face/extractor, depending on how deeply it is recessed (even though the rim diameter may be the same on both.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reworking the 22-250 to 6.5-284

the COAL min = 2.290 max = 2.350 on the 22-250
The Max COAL for 284 = 2.80
Both work in short actions.
The base of both is 0.473 so the bolt should work.
I worry about how well it will work given the 284 has a base of the cartridge before the rim has a max diameter of 0.5000 while the 22-250 is 0.4668.
If you were to use a new barrel the action should handle things very well.
I would have a gunsmith do the head spacing though.
Also have the smith check out whether the chamber pressure can handle the 6.5-284.
This is fast becoming a very popular cartridge and there should be a competent smith whom has did this before.

Everything is so close spec wise that I fell pretty good about this wildcat too.
I have a 22-250 also and I might just do the same thing.
We have a very good smith here in Purcellville VA, His cards are in the local town gun shop Purcel Guns. I love the 7mm but it does not provide a high number of BC to SD. I desire a 200 point min diff between the two. My experience at Quantico has been when you achieve the 200 point difference the round tends to almost float through 3-500 yards. It is equally able to be shot at 1000 yards. Shooting the 1000 yards does have a drop but not a bad as most.

I do hope you have success in the conversion.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
the COAL min = 2.290 max = 2.350 on the 22-250
The Max COAL for 284 = 2.80
Both work in short actions.
The base of both is 0.473 so the bolt should work.
I worry about how well it will work given the 284 has a base of the cartridge before the rim has a max diameter of 0.5000 while the 22-250 is 0.4668.
If you were to use a new barrel the action should handle things very well.
I would have a gunsmith do the head spacing though.
Also have the smith check out whether the chamber pressure can handle the 6.5-284.
This is fast becoming a very popular cartridge and there should be a competent smith whom has did this before.

Everything is so close spec wise that I fell pretty good about this wildcat too.
I have a 22-250 also and I might just do the same thing.
We have a very good smith here in Purcellville VA, His cards are in the local town gun shop Purcel Guns. I love the 7mm but it does not provide a high number of BC to SD. I desire a 200 point min diff between the two. My experience at Quantico has been when you achieve the 200 point difference the round tends to almost float through 3-500 yards. It is equally able to be shot at 1000 yards. Shooting the 1000 yards does have a drop but not a bad as most.

I do hope you have success in the conversion.
SAAMI rates the max pressure for the 22-250 at 65,000psi, the max pressure for the 284 Win they have at 56,000psi but i've also seen the 284 max pressure rated as high as 64,000psi.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Be sure about this one

Hi 416, I swapped off my Vanguard which is a Howa. In the fine print, they noted a barrel thread pitch, of 1.5mm. I believe this works out to slightly quicker than 20 TPI. What I would watch out for is someone trying to barrel without the correct metric transposing gear train in their lathe. If you crab the barrel threads into the receiver, then you re-create the old 7.7 Arisaka's problems with blowing barrels out of receivers, when gunsmiths tried to use 12TPI. My Logan 11 inch lathe does have the 11TPI in it's Quick Change gear box. It was made in 1947, about fifty beds before Logan changed everything in that year. I'm sure Weatherby has everything needed to rebarrel Vanguards, but I'm doubting that everyone who tries this, does. I know it's hard to believe just how springy, steel can be when put under extreme pressures. But your proposed cartridges aren't a good place to experiment with. Strangely, the older Arisakas in 6.5mm, used a 14TPI which is pretty easy to do on U.S. equipment. I'm wondering how long it will be before some "PUFF" gunwriter mentions the barrel thread pattern in the new imported Win. M 94's. FWIW, your Howa's 1.5mm threads would be very close to the old Winnie's 20TPI.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Hi 416, I swapped off my Vanguard which is a Howa. In the fine print, they noted a barrel thread pitch, of 1.5mm. I believe this works out to slightly quicker than 20 TPI. What I would watch out for is someone trying to barrel without the correct metric transposing gear train in their lathe. If you crab the barrel threads into the receiver, then you re-create the old 7.7 Arisaka's problems with blowing barrels out of receivers, when gunsmiths tried to use 12TPI. My Logan 11 inch lathe does have the 11TPI in it's Quick Change gear box. It was made in 1947, about fifty beds before Logan changed everything in that year. I'm sure Weatherby has everything needed to rebarrel Vanguards, but I'm doubting that everyone who tries this, does. I know it's hard to believe just how springy, steel can be when put under extreme pressures. But your proposed cartridges aren't a good place to experiment with. Strangely, the older Arisakas in 6.5mm, used a 14TPI which is pretty easy to do on U.S. equipment. I'm wondering how long it will be before some "PUFF" gunwriter mentions the barrel thread pattern in the new imported Win. M 94's. FWIW, your Howa's 1.5mm threads would be very close to the old Winnie's 20TPI.

Since the OP is 8yrs old I sure hope he rebarrel but he hasn't posted since 2003

1 - 6 of 6 Posts