Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can y'all tell me about the .260 Rem? It looks like a short action, .308 based round? How's the performance vs the other 6.5mm sized rounds? I'm looking at the .25-06, 7mm-08, and something in the .260/6.5mm range for a deer round.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
You're right cfx, it's based on the 308 Win case. There's really not very many factory 6.5 rounds to choose from; 260 Rem, 6.5x55, 264 Win mag, 6.5 Rem mag, and one that was developed for the AR's that escapes me, and even fewer rifle choices chambered as that list advances. Two popular wildcat options are the 6.5-06 and 6.5-284 (IIRC, Norma may be producing this?). I'm probably forgetting a few.

All of the cartridges you mention would serve you well for deer and if it were me, I'd make the choice by whichever rifle you liked best and whatever chambering was in your hands at the time!

·
Registered
674 Posts
The .260 Rem is the ballistic twin of the 6.5x55 Swede. No on has complained about that cartridge for a hundred years or there about.

The 7mm-08 can use slightly heavier bullets if you ever need it, just make sure to get a rifle with the proper twist (1:9.5").

·
Registered
480 Posts
A friend of mine bought a .260 when they first came out.
He loves it and said its always worked good.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
The .260 Remington (6.5 X 51 mm) is a great cartridge with good accuracy, light recoil, etc. It's a shame it not more popular.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
great cartridge if you want to have a short action rifle like a 700 rebarreled to it. Very few choices available for an over-the-counter rifle. Because the 7-08 is a similar cartridge and will shoot heavier bullets (and Remington blew it like they did the 6mm/244), it has edged the 260 out. However, I still prefer the 260.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Well, I have a 6mm-08 (A.K.A. .243 Winchester), and a 7mm-08. Both great cartridges, versatile and accurate.
Can't imagine the 6.5-08 (.260 Remington) would be a dog.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I have a .260 Remington barrel on my T/C Encore Pro Hunter. I got it about a year and a half ago. I used it last year and here was my season report: http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=61475 and an update down on post #15.

I think it's a great whitetail round and pretty much my go-to for the time being. You'll be able to find 7mm-08 factory loads on the shelves easier. That's not a real problem if you mail order ammo or reload, though.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
IMO, the 260 is the perfect deer cartridge. It will shoot as far as you care to and will carry energy better than any other short action cartridge. I have one in an older Model 7 with the 18.5" barrel and it is death on deer. I shoot 129gr Hornady SP and every deer I've pulled the trigger on has died. From 20 yds to over 250yds they all have died in short order.

If Remington actually knew how to promote a cartridge and build a rifle, the 260 would be much more popular today.

·
Registered
620 Posts
If Remington actually knew how to promote a cartridge and build a rifle, the 260 would be much more popular today.
+1

I had a Sako 75 chambered in .260 Rem for about a year. I only took 1 doe with it at about 75 yards with a 125 grain Partition. She made it all of 5 yards before she dropped. Wish I wouldnt have traded that rifle.....

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'd like to see a quite death for the cartridge.
Given the company that introduced it, I am sure you will get your wish ;).

I haven't had any experience with the .260, but I have shot a 6.5x55 that was a real tack driver. I couldn't beg it away from the owner for love or money.
Dan

·
Registered
931 Posts
It's my favorite. Perfect for deer. Compared to the 7mm-08, the only advantage I see to the 7mm-08 is factory ammo availability and price. If you reload, 260 is the way to go.

The 140 gr 6.5 mm has excellent SD and BC values, so you need nothing larger for deer. it has more options at the lighter end of the bullet weight spectrum, if you occasionally want to use it for coyotes. I've loaded mine with 140 gr Hornady Interlock, 120 gr Nosler BT, and 85 gr Sierra HP, and all shot well.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,720 Posts
I would think it would be nearly ideal for deer and pigs. Having shot them with stuff a little bigger, and a little smaller, than the .260.... I do not see how you could go wrong.

Get one and let us know how it works out :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been looking and the only thing holding me back is the lack of availability. If I get serious about reloading again I'll check it out. Seems like a good compromise between the 7mm and .243. I like smaller guns.

·
Registered
94 Posts
an it is a near-perfect silhouette round according to a couple of good shooters I know - one master class who has shifted to it after years of shooting a 7-08 and one "A" class shooter who can finally see a ram fall through the scope on the occasions he hits one
I would probably use it myself if I lived close enough to a center-fire range to compete - 'fraid I'm stuck shooting .22 rimfire silhouettes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts