Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just starting to play with a 20" barreled Ruger .260. Any load sugestions out there? I will be trying to shoot 120-130 gr. bullets, probably noslers or x bullets for deer and elk. Then I will need a 100 Gr. bullet load for coyotes and such. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,433 Posts
My 6.5x55 Swede does real well with IMR 4350 with both the Nosler 125gr. Partition and the 120gr. Ballistic Tip.  Although this is not the same cartridge exactly, it is pretty close and I suspect that it will do well with these loads also.

As a bonus these two bullets had a very similar point of impact, of course this is in my gun.

Don't have the exact load data handy but you would have to work up for your gun anyway.

·
Banned
176 Posts
I have not personally loaded for any of the 6.5's but the two oldtimers who taught me to reload were dyed in the wool 6.5 fans. They had them from the little .256 Mannlicher to the .264 Win. Mag. They swore by the Hornady Interlocks in 129 grain for the little 6.5s and the 140 grain for the .264 WM.

Fireplug

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
If you absolutely must use a 6.5mm on elk, which I wouldn't suggest, I would load 156 to 160-grain bullets instead of the lightweight Nosler Partition or Barnes X. They're good bullets but don't have the sectional density such large game requires. Better still to get a .30-06, .338-06, or .35 Whelen if wapiti are on tap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have taken at least 30 head of big game of elk size or larger with 6.5 140 nosler and barnes bullets over the years and never found it lacking in any way in the penetration department. In my experience a good 6.5  bullet will penetrate as well as anything under a 300 gr. .375.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Not trying to be snide or anything, but with such extensive experience with the 6.5mm why would you ask about loads?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is my first at bat with a small cased 6.5. I was asking for favored loads not advice on what to use them for. Thank you all for your input.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,160 Posts
Taos,
   Any chance your larger 6.5 was a 6.5-06? I'm considering a rebarrel project and I'm looking at something in the 25-28 caliber range on the /06 case. The 6.5-06 looks interesting but I've never talked with anyone who uses one.         ID

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most of those were taken with a .264 Win.,and some with a 6.5-300 Win. I have a friend who shoots a 6.5-06 and a 6.5-.285. Both of those are very nice rounds. They shoot 140's at 3000 FPS + a bit. They seem to work on game as well as the bigger cases and burn less powder. If this new .260 gives dissapointing velocities I will rechamber to 6.5 -.284 or maybe try a 6.5-.300 WSM. I would prefer a longer barrel with either of those rounds though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not gotten around to doing any testing with it yet. From the looks of the loading manuals it should be about the same. At least I hope to it will be. I hope to get something done with it this week if I can get away from this dang office! I will let you know what it will do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts