Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the 129 interbond going to be enough bullrt ? Im gussing boler room shots only. probably not enough gun to break shoulders

·
The Shadow
7,933 Posts
Shot in a??? What kind of deer??
I shot 140 Gr SP's in my 264WM, at large bodied Mule deer of the west. It was definitly enough bullet. But if you can assure that you don't need to be bashing heavy bone, I would think you are fine.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
i would steer clear of shoulder shots in general anyway, lot of meat you throw away doing that. I would think you would give barnes a try for this project, low weight TSX bullets is the ticket i believe.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,190 Posts
I shake my head in disbelief. ANY bullet form a .264WM will put down a deer IMO. I've seen a pass through (I think they were Hornadys the feller was loading) on an elk at about 250 yards. Deer ain't so tough.

There's some that wouldn't agree that a 264 is enough for elk, but least we forget how many ELK are taken with a .243.

The key will always be shot placement.

RJ

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
I shake my head in disbelief. ANY bullet form a .264WM will put down a deer IMO. I've seen a pass through (I think they were Hornadys the feller was loading) on an elk at about 250 yards. Deer ain't so tough.

There's some that wouldn't agree that a 264 is enough for elk, but least we forget how many ELK are taken with a .243.

The key will always be shot placement.

RJ
That's where I was gonna go.

If a .243 with a 90 or 110 grain kills deer, so will any 264.

Shot placement is an absolute responsibility of a hunter.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ken, you will be surprised with the 129gr Interbonds out of the 264. The 130's out of my 270WSM are hustling along at 3350 or so, and they are not explosive and did not break apart on bone (on whitetails). Your bullet has a better SD and won't be going near as fast. I wouldn't pass up a shot at a broadside elk with that bullet and a 264WM! You would be fine breaking both shoulders. The easiest way to find out how the bullet is going to react is stack up some water jugs and recover a bullet. It may not be flesh and bone, but it will give you a really good idea of what will happen. I would think deer are quaking in the hooves with the sounds of your 264 bolt closing. That is a deer slaying machine! Scotty

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I'll bet they'll work fine, especially boiler room hits. Not a 264 WM, but I have a 6.5-06 with two cow elk to its credit, although those with 140 NP's. Agree; keep the bullets off the shoulder, especially in that cartridge, unless you go to 160's, or, don't care about the meat!

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
If my wimpy little 25/06 can mow down deer, I'm certain the 264WM can do it pretty easily. Besides, you are shooting them itty-bitty Eastern Whities, you need just more than a slingshot for those deer! :D

·
Registered
654 Posts
You aren't kidding there! I slay all kinds of them with 100gr broadhead traveling at a measly 275FPS. They die all day long! Scotty

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I'll confess that even our Western deer fall down to the "measly" stick and string pretty well, Scotty.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
The .264 Winchester magnum is good for any of the deer species in the USA! I have it's little brother the .264/06 and I would not hesitate in hunting elk or moose with that rifle caliber. The 129 or 130 grain bullet is plenty of bullet weight for a big buck! The .270 has been doing it since 1922 with a 130 grain bullet. Now that deer is not going to know the difference between a 129 or 140 grain bullet when it goes off inside his boiler room like a valcano eruption has taken place.:eek: ;) :D

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'll confess that even our Western deer fall down to the "measly" stick and string pretty well, Scotty.
It seems we get hung up alot in that conversation of killing power. When I wonder, I always think how easily a few sharp blades pushed through a midsection really get it done. Everything else is just gravy! Scotty....

Tracer, you are dead on! That 264 is an awesome round. Very capable as long as the man directing the shots is feeling well! Scotty

·
Registered
357 Posts
Whitetail aren't hard to kill. A 100 grain .243 Winchester bullet does the job year after year. Why do you put so little faith in the .264 Win Mag?

·
Registered
704 Posts
264 WM bullets

is the 129 interbond going to be enough bullrt ? Im gussing boler room shots only. probably not enough gun to break shoulders
I have been shooting a Remington model 721 in 264WM since 1963 and have always loaded 100 gr hollow points with 65gr to 72gr of H4831 and used on rock chucks to elk with great luck droping them in there tracks with lung, neck or head shots. In 2009 I finally had it rebarreled with a new Shillen 30 inch stainless steel barrel that is 3/4 inch dia at the muzzle weighing in at 12.5 lbs. I loaded some 95gr Vmax, 100gr HP and 100gr balistic tips all with 67gr H4831. At 139 yards with a Whyoming 40 mph cross wind I managed under 1 inch groups. I do not know the volocity but it should be between 3700 to 4000 fps with 223 like recoil. You should check out the Nikon scope web page as they have a bullet drop calculator that you can pick all the bullet weights and makes for the 264 WM. I just added a Nikon Buckmasters 6 to 18 BDC scope to my 264 but have not got to sight it in yet.
May the Good Lord be your Hunting Partner and Guide.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I have used the .264 on deer, pigs and elk. Any weight from 100 grains up should work great on deer of any kind. The 130-140 grainers I loaded for elk. I did have a couple of spectacular bullet failures at close range with this caliber. I would recommend a tough bullet to prevent explosive fragmenting and lack of penetration. This is one of the few calibers I've used that I think a Nosler Partition might be a bit weak for. I might try a Swift A-Frame, if it's available in this caliber. Normally, I consider the A-Frame too heavily constructed for deer and elk, but at close range and high velocity the long skinny .264 is going to shed some serious metal without a beefy construction.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Shot a doe two years ago between the eyes[she was looking at me with her head down] and the bullet came out the left ham while breaking several ribs on the way through. Yes it will kill deer just fine. Good shooting Jim. PS If you can't find brass I know of a bunch of it at a local store.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I have used the .264 on deer, pigs and elk. Any weight from 100 grains up should work great on deer of any kind. The 130-140 grainers I loaded for elk. I did have a couple of spectacular bullet failures at close range with this caliber. I would recommend a tough bullet to prevent explosive fragmenting and lack of penetration. This is one of the few calibers I've used that I think a Nosler Partition might be a bit weak for. I might try a Swift A-Frame, if it's available in this caliber. Normally, I consider the A-Frame too heavily constructed for deer and elk, but at close range and high velocity the long skinny .264 is going to shed some serious metal without a beefy construction.
Oddly enough, the "long skinny" 6.5mm/.264" bullets have a pretty high sectional density and tend NOT to shed metal as fast as one might think. Truth is, they tend to hold together quite well, which helps explain why they are one of the smallest diameter bullets that can be relied upon for consistent and adequate penetration. Heavy-for-caliber 6.5 bullets, or well-constructed lighter bullets, just plain get the job done. Tens of thousands of dead alg (European moose) can't be wrong. :)

I find it highly amusing that this thread should even exist: Questioning whether or not the .264WM is powerful enough for deer is truly comical. It's like asking if the .223 Remington is capable of killing a prairie dog or a 12 gauge can harvest a duck. Some truths should be self-evident and the questions asked more meaningful. Whether disingenuous or sincere, the answer to this "question" was never in doubt. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
704 Posts
It did bring a bunch of 264 lovers out of the woods to remaniss all the great performances of all 264 bullet weights on all game and visions of hunts to plan.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts