Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite gun dealer has found a Lipsey Special Ruger Number 1 in 264WM, should be in soon. I love the Number 1, but years ago the
accuracy was so-so. I know the barrels are better now.

For some of you that shoot the newer ones, do you think I have a chance
of a shooter? I will shoot first without forearm work & will work up precision loads with 130 Accubond, maybe 140gr & 140gr. bergers. I have the Seyfried article for forend mods if I have to go there.

I know it has been asked alot in the past, just looking for latest opinions.

Thanks

·
Inactive account
585 Posts
I guess I cant answer whether or not it will be a shooter with or without the forearm adjestments....but if you dont buy it let me know because I sure as **** will.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Whenever you buy a rifle you pay your nickle and take your
chances. I have a heavy barrel Ruger #1 in .223. It didn't
shoot that well out of the box. My gunsmith did the forearm
and did the trigger twice. Now the gun shoots inch groups or
less at 100 yds. I'm very happy with it. buy the gun Nomosendro.
Please let us know how you are doing with it. It should be interesting,
and after all that's what it's all about.
Zeke

·
Banned
72 Posts
How does lispeys have these guns?????Or are they older distridutor exclusives that didnt sell bacaeuse i too have seen them on gunbroker and they have a 134 serial number which is newer than my #1s but not brand new.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just started shooting it, it appears to be a shooter. Right now it is going .75" for 3 shot groups with the 120BT. I will be trying 140NP and others soon.
thanks

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
3/4" groups? You are off to a great start. Never know you might even find a load that shoots even better. Think like goat said I'd leave it alone, concerning the forearm mods.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I sure would like to have one of those......but my stainless/laminate Number 1 in .270 does everything I need. Sure glad to hear you got a "shooter", mine also shoots sub MOA.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Great thing about a single shot is no magazine box to restrict COL. You can play with seating depth to your heart's content. If you have a comparator, or other accurate method to determine seating depth to the lands, I would start your load development about .001" off the lands, working up to max, then play with seating depth backing off the lands.

Pressures will actually DECREASE as you seat deeper (farther from the lands) because the bullet gets a running start and engraves into the rifling more easily. Somewhere between .001" and .02" will typically give the best accuracy.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Mine is not a Lipsey's special, but a standard #1V in 25-06. It shoots every bullet I load for it sub-MOA and better. I toyed with the idea of getting a Hicks Accurizer and even playing with rubber washers under the forearm, but this one never needed it.

In my case anyway (sounds like maybe in yours too, sendero), better to leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
If you go to Ruger site-then single shot rifles and then on the L are several varieties of guns. The bottom one is 'special distributors' or some such. Lipseys is listed for one caliber.

I know Ruger made some special calibers/guns(#1s) for Cabelas 50th anniversary. You might be able to snag one of those. They will be special priced.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like several of you, I feel it's best to leave it alone at this point. I am going to shoot more & with a couple of other bullets, but a 120BT at about 3450 or so is a wicked Whitetail rifle I have to believe. I have a 300 Sendero for Elk and above, so not too worried about a "tough" bullet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have an old No. 1, circa 1977 or 78 vintage, that I bought new then in 7mm Rem Mag. It is a great shooter, always has been, especially with heavier bullets. I often get sub MOA groups with it.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
I have an old No. 1, circa 1977 or 78 vintage, that I bought new then in 7mm Rem Mag. It is a great shooter, always has been, especially with heavier bullets. I often get sub MOA groups with it.
A friend of mine had an older #1 in 7mag from back then as well and claimed it was one of the most accurate rifles he'd ever owned and he's owned a ton of rifles over the years. He said his was a heavy contour barrel, like a Varmint model. What type barrel on yours?

·
Registered
125 Posts
A friend of mine had an older #1 in 7mag from back then as well and claimed it was one of the most accurate rifles he'd ever owned and he's owned a ton of rifles over the years. He said his was a heavy contour barrel, like a Varmint model. What type barrel on yours?
Mine is actually the 1-S model, with the Alex Henry forend and the integral open sights. The barrel length on mine is 26". I have mounted an older Leupold 3-9 scope, purchased when I got the gun or shortly after. I have been very pleased with it and it is definitely my most accurate big-game caliber rifle.

I have a more recent No. 1, purchased about three or four years ago in an oddball caliber, 9.7x74R, which is similar, a 1-S, but with a 24" barrel. It shoots okay, 1.5" to 1.75" for three shot 100 yard groups, but the 7mm RM will outshoot it all day long.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.