Shooters Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I regularly make 260 Ren from 308 brass. My tried & proved simple method is to run 308 thru a 7-08 FL sizing die then thru the 260 FL sizer. Works very smooth . I have had no problem with thick necks . I size load & shoot. Simple...

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
a 270-08 cartridge with a 260 headstamp could get loaded into a 260 rifle, that would not be good.
Yep, that could happen. The same argument could be applied to any/every reformed case operation.

I have a couple .300 Ham'rs that run almost entirely off reformed .223 brass. If I chuck a .300 Ham'r into one of my several .223/5.56 rifles., I'll be on my way to the emergency room. Darwinian selection in motion.

Reforming brass for use in a different chamber assumes a certain amount of awareness, and responsibility, on the part of the user, like any handloading/reloading activity. If the shooter in the mirror isn't up to that, .........

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Tman, this particular post is a great example of why I would form cases from a larger caliber case down instead of a smaller one up, what would happen if you pass away or any novice gun person relative would gain access to your guns and ammunition because of your poor health, {your in a home}.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
No argument with your position Kbear. It's good to neck down, but that's not always possible.

As I stated, as soon as you start making cases from some parent brass, you also assume responsibility for any/all activity downstream.
The originator needs to label carefully, and manage the inventory responsibly.
If that's not possible, or too much work on the owners part, don't reform brass. Not an easy decision for many.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts