Shooters Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I regularly make 260 Ren from 308 brass. My tried & proved simple method is to run 308 thru a 7-08 FL sizing die then thru the 260 FL sizer. Works very smooth . I have had no problem with thick necks . I size load & shoot. Simple...

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
a 270-08 cartridge with a 260 headstamp could get loaded into a 260 rifle, that would not be good.
Yep, that could happen. The same argument could be applied to any/every reformed case operation.

I have a couple .300 Ham'rs that run almost entirely off reformed .223 brass. If I chuck a .300 Ham'r into one of my several .223/5.56 rifles., I'll be on my way to the emergency room. Darwinian selection in motion.

Reforming brass for use in a different chamber assumes a certain amount of awareness, and responsibility, on the part of the user, like any handloading/reloading activity. If the shooter in the mirror isn't up to that, .........

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Tman, this particular post is a great example of why I would form cases from a larger caliber case down instead of a smaller one up, what would happen if you pass away or any novice gun person relative would gain access to your guns and ammunition because of your poor health, {your in a home}.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
No argument with your position Kbear. It's good to neck down, but that's not always possible.

As I stated, as soon as you start making cases from some parent brass, you also assume responsibility for any/all activity downstream.
The originator needs to label carefully, and manage the inventory responsibly.
If that's not possible, or too much work on the owners part, don't reform brass. Not an easy decision for many.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
If you have a 270X08 and want to form cases do it the easy way; neck the 308 case down to .270. I have enough forming dies to go from 30/06 to 308W, it is a work out but necessary under certain conditions.

A friend was building bench rest type rifles using very heavy 308 barrels; one of his customers complained about loose necks. He did not complain about the accuracy, he complained about loose necks.

I explained to my friend he sold a rifle to an Internet reloader; I told my friend I would load up a pile of dies with some lube and see what I could do about his problem. We dug out close to 500 LC National Match 30/06 cases and then got busy.

I formed the 30/06 cases to 308W and then measured the clearance between the neck of the case and neck of the chamber. We tightened the necks up to a clearance of .002". If anyone was interested in more clearance they could start turning. He had a couple of his rifles finished, he loaded the formed cases, took everything to the range and all went well.

I explained to him once he knew he could tighten the necks he could purchase a few dies use his favorite case lube when forming cases for his rifles. And then the warning: you can instruct all new owners they can use 308 cases or you can form 308 cases from 30/06 cases if they wanted to tighten the necks.

F. Guffey

21 - 26 of 26 Posts