Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
270 grain hornady in a .375 Winchester?

Has anyone ever loaded the Hornady 270 grain rn for the .375 Winchester?

I have only seen loads for bullets up to 255 grains.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Not the 270, no, but I did write Sierra on using their 250 gr. 375 in mine. They gave me some load data, and told me that it would be a fairly good load, although at the velocity, (like 1600 fps if memory serves), expansion would be nonexistant.

I'm thinking that the light 375 rounds are designed around the 375 WIN, and the heavier ones for the H & H. I also got a note from Hornady once that told me the 220 grain flat point should only be loaded to reduced velocities in the H & H case. Stands to reason, I reckon.

I 'm looking real seriously in using a hard cast with a wide meplat, and a 210 barnes X in my 375 WIN, whenever i can get around to it.

Good shooting.

Steve

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whitehunter,

The more I research, the more I am leaning towards a hardcast 250-255 to go with my current loading of the hornady 220s over 36 grains of 3031.

I bought the .375 as a short range, brush gun and I think going to a heavy cast bullet could even push it into the range of dangerous game protection (although I do not want to open up the rifle/pistol for Alask thread again).

I also have a .307 winchester that is my rifle for deer at shots over 100 yards.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I came across a box of 260 gr hard cast lfn's at a local bullet-makers shop in NH (Ken's ammo and reloading).

The bullets come lubed and gas checked.

I loaded a box over 30 grains of 3031 and will try them out this weekend (I hope).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts