Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago Marshall said he spoiled a lot of deer meat with his .270.  What .270 bullet and load will stop them (properly placed, of course) without ruining half of the meat?  I'm shooting a Ruger #1.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would suspect you might have to go to a 150gr round nose. I myself try to make a good shot with my 270. I use a 130 gr. Sierra BT over 59 to 60 gr. of H4831SC.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
Try Speer 150 gr Grand Slams. They are tougher than "regular" bullets and won't over-expand.     ID

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
True enough!  I've ruined lots of meat with the .270 Winchester over the years.  I don't understand why most jacketed bullets for the .270 are so frangable, it isn't as though .277" bullets are used over a wide variety of velocity thresholds as is true with the 7mm's and .30 calibers.  The type of bullets available for the .270 is probably why Elmer Keith called it a great coyote rifle when it first came out!

However, things have gotten much better for the .270 in recent years with the introduction of the Barnes X bullet.  It works superbly in the .270 Winchester, is very accurate when loaded properly and performs flawlessly on game.  No more bloodshot meat like with the other conventional bullets.

If you gun copper fouls with the Barnes X bullet, fire-lap it a few loads, then polish the bore and your fouling problems will dissappear!  By the way, I don't recommend the moly-treated bullets.

Hope this helps in your bullet selection for the .270!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
1 Posts
to think of all the wasted SECONDS tracking the dozens of deer I've shot...
shot placement is  THE KEY.
I use  140 grn ballistic tip boattail pushed by 52 grns of imr 4350
it helps that I remove the polymer tip, which leaves one heckofa hollow point.
these print a nice .25" 3 rnd group at 100 yds...

·
Registered
872 Posts
Big fan of the 150 Sierra gameking, good compromise between a brush bullet and a field bullet, and it has good manners off the shoulder.  Also available in a factory label with federal 's high energy.  Heck for accuratte too.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts