Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am having problems getting any kind of groups with my weatherby Vanguard Rifle chambered in 270 win, the rifle was new in box When I bought it and between working loads up with the rifle maybe 200 shots of aggravation the best I can get with this rifle is 3 inch patterns using Fed cases Hogdon powders H4350 H4831
FedGold medal 210 Match primers and nosler 130 grain and 150 grain bullets.
I have used several different weight charges and have seated the bullets touching the rifleling and backed off between 15 to 30 thousands. its driving me nuts why this gun wont shoot. I even re cut the and squared the crown. Any help with this gun would be welcome. I really like the size of the rifle and how it shoulders thats why im trying so hard to make it work.:confused: also I have been using just once fired neck sized cases from this rifle. and I forgot to mention I was using A leupold 2x7 VII which I took off my 3006 which was printing 1/2 inch groups at 100. I mounted the scope correctly and everything is tight.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
bobbyg,
Did you try the rifle with any factory loads? If so, how did they shoot? 3" is pretty bad for any bolt action, and if I recall Weatherby guarantees 1.5" groups with factory ammo. Recrowning the barrel may be a problem if you seek factory assistance with the problem. Although a dedicated handloader may be loath to try it, if you are having an accuracy problem from the get-go I would try some decent factory loads, at least to set a baseline to judge your handload accuracy against. You may have a faulty rifle, faulty dies etc. so you need to start eliminating possible variables. ID

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Lets get the obvious stuff out of the way first. I'm guessing you had the rifle bedded or re-bedded before recutting the crown. This is often a culprit with erratic grouping. Before I did that I would make sure the action screws where properly tightned. Have you tried to slip a business card between the stock and the end of the barrel to determine if a little forend pressure will enhance accuracy if it is needed? I'm guessing you have been cleaning the barrel regualarly and not letting it get too hot when firing for groups. A good rule of thumb on that matter would be three shot groups, since it's a hunting rifle, and letting the barrel cool completely with about a minute between rounds during the actual firing of groups. My 340 will burn your hand after three rapid shots if you try to hold the barrel. The problem may also be contained within your die set, if it is new, it isn't neccesarily right. If you have a tool to measure bullet runout in loaded cartridges, I would put it to use. I've seen new die sets that where just plain wrong before. I have a Weatherby Mark 5 that I was having some troubles with when it was new, a synthetic stocked model in .340, that was cured with a bedding job. I left the barrel floated instead of a full channel bedding job because the synthetic stocks are somewhat flimsy and I suspected I might create more problems than solving any by doing so. I know that Weatherby rifles have a 1.5 inch gaurantee, and I would try some factory ammo to see if you can attain that. I have never seen a Weatherby rifle that shot as well as I thought it should out of the box, by this I mean 1 moa with good loads and accurate bullets. Before anyone jumps me on this, I've only had the opportunity to test 3 of them, all synthetics. Further, of most of the tests I've seen on the new 1200-1500 synthetic lightweight rifles indicate they won't even accomplish 1.5 moa with the ungodly expensive Weatherby ammo.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Bobby:
A couple more points. What do your groups look like? Round or oblong (strung out)? Is it shooting two groups 3" apart? Do the bullets walk across the target as the gun warms up? Is the first shot from a cold barrel usually out of the group?

You've tried enough loads to find a sweet spot, so if your groups are strung out it likely indicates a bedding problem. See how far you can slide a dollar bill between the barrel and fore end. If goes to within 2-3" of the action, try hciH's business card trick.

If it only goes an inch, try holding the fore end and pushing the barrel around. If it squeaks it likely isn't settling back into the same place after each shot. If it's settling into 2 places you'll get 2 groups. Do a quick free float test by putting a business card under each end of the action.

If it's a first shot problem, see if it will behave if you start with the barrel:
a/ Spotlessly clean and lightly lubed with Hoppes #9.
b/ Untouched since the last time you fired it.
c/ After one wet with #9 patch and one dry patch.
d/ Spotless and oiled.

If you fire at a 1-2 minute rate and say the first 5 shots walk across the target and then it settles down, you've got a wrapped barrel. A cryogenic treatment might help but it likely means a new barrel.

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
548 Posts
One additional thought...Do you wear glasses? If they move on your face, or you position your head a bit different between shots, they are refracting your point of aim. Its not actually where you "see" it.

Even paralax can be a problem with a new rifle, because the point of aim will also move even with the Leopold if your eye is not in the same spot every time. Sometimes with a new rifle we move around more behind the scope.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried the business card trick in under the front of the barrel and have tried lifting it to free float. Same results, my shots are as follows. 1st shot dead center wait 3 minutes second shot 3 inches or more away from the first shot third shot 5 minutes later its 2 or more inches from the last shot.
I believe the gun should print at least 2 inch groups rapid fire at 75 yards and even then that's disgusting. maybe the barrel is wrapped and can only be shot cold.

The dies are the same ones I use for my other 270 win guns and they are fine, I am almost ready to buy a new barrel and start all over.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try 58.0 grains of Reloder22, Nosler 130 grain Ballistic Tips, Winchester Brass, and Federal Gm 210 Match primers. I have not found a 270 as of this writing that this load does not shoot good in. Just one man opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts