Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Remington Model Four in .270 Win. Just wondering if anyone had some tips on reloading or where to start with loads.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Get some (more than one) reloading manuals from the powder and bullet manufacturers that you plan to use and then use their advice. Really, two or three manuals will have more information about reloading and what loads are likely to work than dozens of posts on forums. Forums are good for specific advice about specific problems, but not for learning to load.

I like Nosler bullets (150 gr. Partitions and 140 gr. Accubonds) and H4831 in my .270.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've reloaded for years. I was just wondering if there is any special attention when reloading a semi auto

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I just purchased a Remington Model Four in .270 Win. Just wondering if anyone had some tips on reloading or where to start with loads.
I use to reload .270 Win. Ammo for a friend's Remington Model four. My load was: 53.0 GRS/ IMR-4350/130 grain soft point bullet. Was very accurate in my Friend's Model 4 & function excellently.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Powders with faster burn rates work best in Rem. semi-autos , IMR 4064 , H-414 , Win-760 . IMR-4350 is on the slow side !

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Powders with faster burn rates work best in Rem. semi-autos , IMR 4064 , H-414 , Win-760 . IMR-4350 is on the slow side !
My Friend's son used IMR-4064 powder in his bolt action .270, but it would not function in his Dad's Remington Model 4.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Assuming you have the semi auto, there are a couple things to consider. The gas operated rifles often don't respond so well to the slowest powders. Loading for a couple 740/7400's in .270, I'd stick with powders in the 4350/H-414, burn rate to manage the pulse cycle. You may have problems cycling with slower burn rates. (I did).

I'd go with a 130gr bullet from almost anybody for deer, and 150's for elk in premium styles from Nosler or Speer.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Imr 4350 works well in the model four in 270 win with 130gr. bullets. I found IMR 4064 to be accurate but it didn't cycle as reliably as with IMR 4350. Remember, the 270 win has always been factory loaded to top modern pressures surely with powders slower than 4064 and these guns handle them fine. That being said I don't think I would try any slower powder than 4350.
My Mod. four shoots great with 54gr. of IMR4350 and 130 gr. hornady interlock SP. Full length sized Rem brass and a WLR primer. COL is 3.180. It shoots this load into sub moa groups. (best 3 shot group to date .355 c.t.c. @ 100 meters) The action cycles flawlessly as well, doesn't beat up the brass much. Make sure you full length size your brass and pay attention to the cycling of the action and condition of the ejected brass, it can tell you alot about the pressure and timing. Other than that watch for pressure signs like you would with any gun and don't try to make a hotrod out of it. Mine shoots my load around 2950 fps, which is about the same as it shoots a factory rem. corelokt round. I am very happy with it. My load is 1 grain under Hornady's published max but as always start lower and work up.
I hope some of this helps you, the model four being the cadilac of the 7400 line really is a nice deer rifle especially if you are a woods hunter like me where things don't always go according to plan and you need a fast 2nd shot. My model four was given to me by my grandfather, it was the last deer rifle he ever purchased and it's still in great condition. Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts