Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sent off my application for this year's (2010) deer & elk hunt in in Colorado. In the past, I've used my Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 and more recently my Weatherby 300 WSM. I've been successful with both calibers in harvesting bull elk and mule deer bucks. This year my hunting party is going to travel to southwestern Colorado where I'm told that longer shots are more typical due to the terrain. I'm seriously considering using my 270 Winchester (Weatherby of course) as I consider it to be my most accurate rifle, especially at long range. There's a Shepherd Scope mounted on top which I love. I'll be hunting both mule deer & elk as this is a combined hunt so 1 rifle for both. I was wondering if there were any of you out there that have taken elk using a 270? I'm considering a 150 gr partition and H-4350 powder. I also saw the 160 gr Partition available and wondered if anyone could give me any advice on the 2 bullets. How about it? Can anybody out there give me some advice ala Jack O'Connor?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My advice is to use either the .30-06 or the 300WSM. The .270 should work, but the other two are just better for elk with 180 gr. Partitions.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
You'd do fine with the 270 and that 150 or 160 gr bullet for both elk and deer. I've killed one elk with the 270, so long ago I don't know the load. That said, I sure wouldn't say it's any better than your '06 or 300, at any range, but it will get the job done. The NP is my favorite big game bullet, in many cartridges.

·
Banned
397 Posts
The .270 is a wonderful gun and will kill Elk. If I had
a .300 WSM I wouldn't even think about using the 30/06
or the .270 for long range big game hunting.

Zeke

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,113 Posts
Jack O'Connor slew many an elk with the .270 Win.

·
Banned
490 Posts
I have only killed 2 elk, one with a .340 Weatherby (210 gr. Nosler Partition) and one with a .270 (130 gr. Nosler Partition). Both were quick kills, but the one with the .270 was quicker. Does that prove the .270 is better than the .340? Nope, but as far as I am concerned, the .270 is just fine for any elk that ever walked. All you have to do is hit it properly (and you have to do that even with a .50 BMG).

The .270 is one of the 4 most popular elk calibers and has been filling freezers with elk meat for about 85 years so far.

Load up your .270 with a Nosler partition from 130 to 160 grains and hunt with confidence.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I live and grew up in Colorado elk country and have visited with many well known old elk hunters. Many oldtimers had just one big game rifle and many times it was a 270 Win. I have shot only 3 elk with a 270 yet I have seen @ a dozen killed with one. All mine were taken with 150 Nosler Partions. All penatrated completely. The 160 grn Noslers were semi pointed so I doubt they are a flat shooting as the 150's. While not my favorite elk cartridge, it has a fine track record. However I cant see any advantage for long range shooting over a 30-06 with 180 grn bullets. I have seen @ 50 elk killed with a 30-06 and quite a few at longer ranges and can attest to its long range killing power. So either way you chose an excellent bullet and with good marksmanship your freezer should be full.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the thing fellas. I've already taken elk with both the 30-06 & 300 WSM. Only thing left is the 270. It's the challenge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
shoot the 270. As you say its the challenge. live here in wyoming and have killed a lot of elk with the 270 win so you are just a tad better off with the wsm. I would recomend the 140 accubond. more than enough for elk and mulies. high bc and high sd.

qrtrbore

·
Registered
243 Posts
shoot the 270. As you say its the challenge. live here in wyoming and have killed a lot of elk with the 270 win so you are just a tad better off with the wsm. I would recomend the 140 accubond. more than enough for elk and mulies. high bc and high sd.

qrtrbore
X2 on the AB. What little you give up in weight you will gain back in velocity and possibly BC.

When I hunted CO, the vast majority of the locals were huting with .270's or 30-06's. They said they were light enough to pack up and down the slopes, fast to get on target with, and the lighter recoil allowed them to see the impacts on their shots. Most were using 130gr and 150gr loads as well.

While this might not be the norm for folks who are on a limited time table, or who figure that any shot will have to do, it sure seemed they were confident with their choices.

I had both a 25-06 and a .270. The lighter loaded with 115gr Partitions and the other with 150gr Solid Bases. If you put your shot where it counts it will do the job for you.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
To be specific, Jack O'Connor took 17 elk with a standard 270Win, 3 with an '06 and 1 with a 7RM. He did so with the old 130gr cup n' core bullets and found the first "premium" bullet, the Remington Core-lokt, to be an absolute wonder! Stoke your 270Weatherby with (insert modern bullet here) and go hunting; the mule deer and elk out to ~400 yards will not fail to be impressed.

That's a heckuva cartridge and anyone suggesting an '06 over a 270W for long-range hunting just doesn't know the numbers involved. The '06 won't be as fast or as flat with any bullet, and will have a lower SD unless it shoot a heavier, even slower bullet. Out to around 300 yards, they're basically interchangeable, but when that turns into 350 or 400, the superior ballistics of the .277 bullets, along with the higher MV, start to make a significant difference.

Also, you mentioned this 270W is the most accurate gun you own. For LONG shots, that alone answers your question. Show us the pictures later this fall...even if you wind up shooting your elk at 80 yards. :)

Reactions: 7x57 #1

·
Registered
676 Posts
Most anything from 130 grain on up will work. My Uncle used 130 gr spitzer bullets on everything from fox to moose and rarely got skunked during deer season. I would prefer a 150 grain Swift A-frame bullet for that combination of accuracy, penetration and expansion. Good luck with whatever you use.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for the great advice. It looks like I'll fit a 150 gr Partition for this years combined hunt. I just got a good bid on Gunbroker.com for some partitions.

·
Registered
357 Posts
To be specific, Jack O'Connor took 17 elk with a standard 270Win, 3 with an '06 and 1 with a 7RM. He did so with the old 130gr cup n' core bullets and found the first "premium" bullet, the Remington Core-lokt, to be an absolute wonder! Stoke your 270Weatherby with (insert modern bullet here) and go hunting; the mule deer and elk out to ~400 yards will not fail to be impressed.
I think he said a .270 Winchester in a Weatherby rifle?

We both dote on the .270 Win though and it will get the job done for elk today just as it did for Mr. O'Connor then.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts

That's a heckuva cartridge and anyone suggesting an '06 over a 270W for long-range hunting just doesn't know the numbers involved. The '06 won't be as fast or as flat with any bullet, and will have a lower SD unless it shoot a heavier, even slower bullet. Out to around 300 yards, they're basically interchangeable, but when that turns into 350 or 400, the superior ballistics of the .277 bullets, along with the higher MV, start to make a significant difference.

Also, you mentioned this 270W is the most accurate gun you own. For LONG shots, that alone answers your question. Show us the pictures later this fall...even if you wind up shooting your elk at 80 yards. :)
He Is talking about the .270 WINCHESTER in a WEATHERBY rifle, thought i would clarify for you.

Now the way i look at it he is deliberatly handicapping himself taking the .270 WINCHESTER with 150 grain bullets at maybe 2800 FPS versus a .300 WSM with a 180 grain bullet at around 3000 FPS. If its for the challenge, have fun but it wont be any more of a challenge unless your considering the track job.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,660 Posts
I'll post my usual ballistic-BS-busting chart.......

Bottom line, there isn't 1 out of a thousand hunters that can use the minute trajectory differences at any reasonable hunting ranges. If you're going to shoot beyond point blank then you need to have all the trajectory and wind drift data memorized for your gun, anyway.

Have fun with that .270 and get a big one. It'll work if you do your part.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Ignore Barkbusters post, he's only been allowed to big game hunt for 3 years now without an adult so he's still learning a lot about hunting, shooting and reloading. Someone should probably tell the thousands of elk that were put right down by sub 30 caliber rifles they were supposed to run for miles and be tracked....:rolleyes:

Your 270 will do a great job, make sure you post some pics.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
He Is talking about the .270 WINCHESTER in a WEATHERBY rifle, thought i would clarify for you.

Now the way i look at it he is deliberatly handicapping himself taking the .270 WINCHESTER with 150 grain bullets at maybe 2800 FPS versus a .300 WSM with a 180 grain bullet at around 3000 FPS. If its for the challenge, have fun but it wont be any more of a challenge unless your considering the track job.
I stand corrected and will certainly pay more attention to what cartridge and rifle are being discussed!

However, suggesting that someone is "handicapping" himself with a .270 Winchester is nonsense. Elk have grown no tougher in the last 50 years, even if the size of cartridge recommended for hunting them has gotten bigger each season. That has more to do with selling new guns than it does harvesting elk. With today's premium bullets, the 270 Win. is even MORE capable than it was in the past when cup n' core offerings were so prone to jacket separation. I don't know what you think elk are made of but I assure you it's nothing a 150gr Partition won't put a big hole through.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts