Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Main difference is velocity. The wsm offers more velocity over the standard 270. Both are good cartridges. As far as one having a major advantage over the other: not really. The wsm is a flatter shooting cartridge but at the same time the 270 is pretty flat itself. Ammo for the wsm is more expensive and harder to find that the 270win.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I'm not a 270 guy, so I may not understand the niche this cartridge fills. It always seemed to me to be one of the least useful WSM's as the 7mm Rem mag is the 800 pound gorilla in that zone of calibers.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
The .270WSM seems to be pretty popular, at least around here. People know the .270Win and want a little more oomph so get the WSM (although the .270 Weatherby is there and a little more oomph than the WSM, I think most think it's even more expensive than the WSM).

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
what is the diff in these two. is one a major step up from the other. pls explain
Took my son mule deer hunting this year. He shot his with a 270 WSM-dead
Shot mine with a 270 Win-dead.
I don't see any difference
Good Luck

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm not a 270 guy, so I may not understand the niche this cartridge fills. It always seemed to me to be one of the least useful WSM's as the 7mm Rem mag is the 800 pound gorilla in that zone of calibers.
Out of all three WSM's the 270 is the number one seller
the 300 is second
the 7mm is last because of the 7 rem mag.
If you have not got a 270 wsm then you will never enjoy what we do that do have one.
It is a very good caliber and very accurate.
And it is so close to being as fast as the Weatherby for half the cost.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Here I am, the 800lb gorilla. When I wanted a 270 caliber Model 70 in 2004, I opted for the 270WSM, and haven't regretted it at all. You guys are right, that it is not "that" different from the regular 270 Win, just more of a good thing. I like them both, but shoot the WSM. I have shot factory loads and loaded my own for the rifle, and it is very accurate, recoil is fairly mild and it does everything my 7mm Mag's do, with a little smaller and lighter rifle. I know I could make the 7's lighter, but I have two of the same Laminated stocked M70's. One 7mm, One 270WSM. They are both great, but the 270WSM has been very easy to load for, and I can get 3100 with a 150gr Ballistic Tip, with 0 issues, and 3350 with 130gr Interbonds. Both using book loads and both under an inch. I have shot elk, muley's and whitetails with mine and it does as good a job as a smallbore can do on heavy animals. I am a fan, if I had a 270Win I would have not gotten the WSM, but since I didn't I got the other! Either round is great, but count me in as a 270WSM fan. It is the 30-06 of my gun safe. When in doubt, I take the 270WSM. Scotty

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have both a 270 Winchester and a 270 Weatherby. Both are under 1 inch rifles. Since owning both I never felt the need for the WSM, however I will tell you, feeding the Weatherby can get quite expensive. Weatherby Ammo is expensive, and I have found that my Weatherby tends to like to shoot premium bullets like Barnes and Nosler. The weatherby is a barn burner, loaded right I am tossing 130 grain barnes at a little more than 3500 feet per second, it will shoot factory 130's at around 3375, but 3350 out of a 270 WSM is not to shabby either.

Had a WSM for a little while, never got to shoot it because I bought it from a guy that lost his job, and made a promise that if he came back inside a year to get it , he could have it back for the same money I gave him for it, and he did.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Took my son mule deer hunting this year. He shot his with a 270 WSM-dead
Shot mine with a 270 Win-dead.
I don't see any difference
Good Luck
One was dead a few hundred feet per second faster? Who cares huh! Dead is dead, how do they taste?

One is the new high zoot, and the other is old reliable! The win is cheeper, but you can just reload the wsm, after all thats why your here too(reloading wisdom).

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Out of all three WSM's the 270 is the number one seller
the 300 is second
the 7mm is last because of the 7 rem mag.
If you have not got a 270 wsm then you will never enjoy what we do that do have one.
It is a very good caliber and very accurate.
And it is so close to being as fast as the Weatherby for half the cost.

There are 4 WSM's. To me the .270 makes the most sense, as it is better than the O'Conner special, and the .325 is not far behind it. The .325 would be considerd a sleeper if it were a race car. No one gives it much credit, but it is plenty powderful to take any game in NA, and recoil is surprisingly light to be slinging 220gr pills.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Fair enough, but the .270WSM with hot enough loads actually trumps the 7mm, and the 7mm WSM which has failed in the marketplace actually does too. I would call the .270WSM about halfway between the standard .270 and the weatherby, and also must note that it's hard to achieve factory velocity with handloads. I have a Tikka .270WSM, a good friend of mine has a Tikka .270 Win and we've hunted together several times with these outfits. Our choice of projectile makes a bigger difference to results than these cartridges - he uses 110 gr hollow points and I use 130 or 140 grain controlled expansion soft noses.

Since buying my WSM I've seen two or three standard .270's for sale in beautiful rifles that I wish I could have gotten.

My point is this - both are great cartridges, and seeing as most hunting shots are taken under 200 yds anyway (or should be) there is bugger all difference between the two. If you find a rifle you really like that suits you, or a great deal, buy it regardless of which calibre it is. Neither of these .270's will disappoint, and neither stands head or shoulders above the other.

Just my 2c. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Both are excellent cartridges and I'd be happy with either. There is no major step up in power though. If I had neither and wanted a rifle in this caliber, I'd base it more on the rifle than any perceived notion one does something the other can't. If I wanted a major step up in power then the standard 270, I'd go up to at least a 30 or 338 mag of some sort.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Good point M1. I just like the little 270WSM. It is fast and really makes deer squirm. Ha. I would like to get a 270 Win for my daughter as she grows up. It is a very solid round with a lot of ability. For now I will keep plugging away with the WSM. It is a solid shooter and you can't really argue with the 150gr bullet at 3100FPS. I think it is probably my best deer rifle. I used the same rifle for the bull elk in my Avatar and it did an acceptable job. I think elk and larger warrant a 30 cal or larger though. Just from my experiences. I know the 270's are fine and have killed many elk. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again though, if I had a chance. Scotty

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I take fairly close to M1Garand's perspective as well. My position is:

If I had neither and shot factory ammo, I'd buy the .270 Win. because ammo is super-cheap and absolutely everywhere.
If I had neither and handloaded (or wanted to), I'd buy the .270 WSM because it makes more efficient use of the powder you put in it, meaning that either reloading costs are slightly lower or else you get slightly more performance for the same money.
If I had either one, I'd just keep it.
If there was a particular individual rifle I really liked best, I'd take it in whichever cartridge it was chambered for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts