Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a fan of the .274 bullet. It just seems like a low recoil 274 bullet in a 308 case (115 grain bullet at 2400 ft/sec) is begging to be made. This would be a natural fit for the Browning light weight BLR. The BLR should weigh in around 7 1/2 pounds with scope. If you reload, the cartridge could be pushed to 2900 ft/sec.

Have I just missed this cartridge being made? If not, why is not being made?

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,331 Posts
What is a 0.274" bullet? Did you mean 264?

Reactions: shreck

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
I don't know of a .274 bullet but .264s and .284s are plentiful and already loaded as the .260 Remington and 7-08 Winchester. Maybe a .270-308 (.277 bullet) could be wedged in the crack just for fun. There would be no ballistic benefit to it.

Reactions: Davers

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am sorry. I said .274, but I meant .277. Same bullet diameter as a 270 Winchester cartridge.

OK, I will try to answer a few questions. I have a Remington 700 rifle in 270 Winchester and I own a Remington 700 rifle in 260 Remington. 260 Remington is a good cartridge, but it seems like the blood trails are a little shorter with 270 Winchester. However, I like the short action of the 260 and usually pick up the 260 when I head for the deer stand.

I tried a 7mm/08 in a BLR, but I could not tell any difference from my 308 BLR and traded the 7mm/08 for another rifle. Later after a close encounter with a large black while deer hunting, I decided I needed a larger cartridge than 308 and traded it for a 358 BLR. I know it is easy to say 308 is plenty of cartridge when you are in a tree stand, but when you step around bush and you are 15 yards from a big black bear, it is not! You just have to trust me on this one. And no, I did not shoot the bear.

I understand why some people would say there is no need for a 277/308, but why bring out 6.5 Creedmore when you already have the 260 Remington and 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser? It seems like a 277/308 cartridge for short action rifles would be a nice fit between 6.5 Creedmore and 7mm/08, and I am just wondering why someone has not tried it yet.

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
I would imagine its 'been tried' a lot. The 308 case wasn't out of diapers yet and had been necked down and up in every step. I'm sure it's a fine round and no reason not to build one. 4D has the reamers.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The similar .270 Savage has been around for over 60 years, as has the .270/.308. More recently, the .270 Redding was introduced (another .270-.308). But none became factory cartridges - why not? Probably because the .277” bore has never been that popular other than the old .270 WCF. The Weatherby version has been around a long time but never was produced in enough numbers for a similar non-propriety cartridge to sell well. The fact remains that the .277” bore is only .007” away from the immensely popular 7mm, and not that much bigger than the not-until-recently-popular 6.5 bore. I’m sure it’s a great round, but talk about a niche cartridge.....

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
I've always believed the .270 Winchester became legendary in just a very few years because it was an odd bore size and every bullet made was made for .270 Win velocities. "Failures" in 270 Win are scarce as bat tracks.
The Weatherby messed that up and 'hair in the air' stories were common when small deer acted like prairie dogs when shot. A small cased .270 would suffer failures in the other direction, IMO.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I had my heart set on a 270-308 at about the time I joined this forum , mainly due to our deer laws and the fact I go after foxes in the sheep more than deer but I want to be legal on deer .
I ended up with a 270-303 that I like very much.
Virtually the same thing .
708’s are not popular around my neck of the woods by any means.
i have talked to a gentleman who built and used a 270-308 for years and loved it.
He wore it out and moved on to another chambering to spice things up like we do.
Why any one bothers spending the time it takes to type reasons why the 270-308 is not good is beyond my comprehension.
Obviously it would be fine.

22-08 , 27-08 and a win 358 would be a pretty good stable .

add a 22lr and you are good to go .

cheers.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Why one spends the time to type out reasons why a .270-.308 is a great cartridge (or a poor cartridge) is.....well, it’s the reason the forum exists - free expression and the sharing of ideas and experiences. If you don’t want to read about it, don’t. Comprehension matters. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
Cartridge 'families' offer a unique opportunity to 'standardize' a hunting arsenal: Just fer instance-- 243, 7-08, 308 and 358 in identical Model 7 Remingtons or short M77 or M70s. Long actions could be 25-06, 270, 30-06 an 35 Whelen.
Or wildcat with 25 Souper, 270-08 and 338-08. Small Medium and Large. The rest is just gingerbread. ... And fascinating.

Reactions: shreck

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Why one spends the time to type out reasons why a .270-.308 is a great cartridge (or a poor cartridge) is.....well, it’s the reason the forum exists - free expression and the sharing of ideas and experiences. If you don’t want to read about it, don’t. Comprehension matters. ;)

I doubt the forum was started to tell people not to build a 27,08 .😊

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hunted with a .270 Winchester for many years. Loved it! Great on anything up to and including Elk. I have a friend who killed Moose with a .270 Win. Someone hunting with a properly loaded .270 can't go wrong on our continent. With the possible exception of the big bears. I also had a Model 70 Winchester re-chambered to .270 Ackley Improved and hunted with it also. This was an amazingly high velocity, accurate round. With both 130 and 140 grain bullets I could achieve 3200 feet per second. Both loads shot three rounds into 5/8" at 100 yards from the bench.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I am sorry. I said .274, but I meant .277. Same bullet diameter as a 270 Winchester cartridge.

OK, I will try to answer a few questions. I have a Remington 700 rifle in 270 Winchester and I own a Remington 700 rifle in 260 Remington. 260 Remington is a good cartridge, but it seems like the blood trails are a little shorter with 270 Winchester. However, I like the short action of the 260 and usually pick up the 260 when I head for the deer stand.

I tried a 7mm/08 in a BLR, but I could not tell any difference from my 308 BLR and traded the 7mm/08 for another rifle. Later after a close encounter with a large black while deer hunting, I decided I needed a larger cartridge than 308 and traded it for a 358 BLR. I know it is easy to say 308 is plenty of cartridge when you are in a tree stand, but when you step around bush and you are 15 yards from a big black bear, it is not! You just have to trust me on this one. And no, I did not shoot the bear.

I understand why some people would say there is no need for a 277/308, but why bring out 6.5 Creedmore when you already have the 260 Remington and 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser? It seems like a 277/308 cartridge for short action rifles would be a nice fit between 6.5 Creedmore and 7mm/08, and I am just wondering why someone has not tried it yet.
There are a number of .277 caliber wildcats. Here's a few of them: 27 GPC, based on an enhanced 6.8 SPC case. There is the .270 AR, based on the .308 case for the AR-15. There is a .277 based on the 6.5x47 Lapua case for the AR-15. All of those are in roughly the same category performance wise as the .308. There is also the .277 Wolverine, based on the 5.56 NATO case. It is limited to about 300 yds, but is an excellent performer in its window, and has the advantage of being capable of suppressed heavy bullet use as well if you get the faster twist barrel. You can find information on all of those at mdws.forumchitchat.com. the .270 AR was designed by Harrison Beane of ARP fame, and can provide data on that one, www.arperformance.com. I have the Wolverine in an AR, and its great. The 27 GPC would also be a good choice for the short action Rem. Bruce at MDWS can chamber barrels in these for the AR as well as Rem and Savage bolt rifles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts