Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandpa gave me his Winchester Model 100. I have been struggling to find .284 Winchester cartridges for the rifle and have been unsuccessful. Does anyone have a site that sells .284 win? Does anyone know of another cartridge that is compatible with this rifle? Thanks

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
My grandpa gave me his Winchester Model 100. I have been struggling to find .284 Winchester cartridges for the rifle and have been unsuccessful. Does anyone have a site that sells .284 win? Does anyone know of another cartridge that is compatible with this rifle? Thanks
if you reload, it's easy to feed the 284. I have 3 of them and my brother has one.

There is no other case you can make 284win brass out of except the 6.5x284. Although those cases are not cheap, they are available and you should have no issues necking them up from 26 caliber to 28 caliber.

Reactions: wrm

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Welcome to Shooters Forum, LMBass. :)

It's really cool that your grandpa thought enough of you to give you his Model 100 in 284 Winchester. As you've discovered, this is a cartridge that isn't readily available, due to the small number of rifles chambered for it. If you look hard enough, you can find it, but you would be well-served to learn how to reload. That way your cases will last a lot longer. ;)

Reactions: wrm

·
Premium Member
14,342 Posts
Please be aware that the Model 100 has a defective firing pin that should be replaced before shooting it.
.284 will not be easy to find and there are currently no rifles being made in that caliber.
I urge you NOT to alter that rifle in any way. Collectors will pay premiums for odd guns and that is one of them.

One question: Is the checkering cut or stamped?

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
The .284 is a fine cartridge and the M100 is a pretty nice rifle as well. Be sure to find out if the one you have now has had the firing pin replacement done. It's an older recall on the M100.

One was able to buy ammunition for the .284 until about 8 yrs ago and then the "shortages" caused the makers to concentrate on the most common chamberings and they quit making the more uncommon ones. My M77 in .284 moved out a few years back, partly because of the ammo issue. dmsbandit has given you some excellent advice reference reloading. Other then that, you might check internet gun sales sites and their "ammo for sale" sections. I'd try Gunsamerica and Gunsinternational.

Could your M100 be one of the more rare carbine models? They differ by having a 19" barrel (with barrel band) and no checkering on the stock. My remaining M100 is a Carbine model in .308 and is a very handy rifle.

And, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
827 Posts
I second the hand loading for this caliber. My dad bought a model 88 in 284 back in 1969 and it kicked him hard with factory loads he could by off the shelf at a gun shop then.

Also the model 100 did have a recall on the firing pin some while back and there is a way to know if yours was done or not but I am not sure how that is done. Might read the stick above in the recall.

As for ammo it seems expensive to me and I would not shoot the rifle much till I started reloading were it me.

https://gun.deals/category/ammo?caliber=2676

Nosler 7MM .284 140GR BALLISTIC TIP 50/BOX - Anacortes Gun Shop

Now if you reloaded.

https://www.bullets.com/products/-284-Winchester-Brass-Cases-100-Count/BL11927

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/258292/winchester-reloading-brass-284-winchester-box-of-50

WINCHESTER 284 WINCHESTER BRASS CASE | Brownells

·
Registered
827 Posts
I bought my Winchester in 308 in late 1968 used and liked it well enough but I didn't hand load then. It was the second rifle I have ever owned, I told my brother who was close to being released from Military service about it and he told me if I found another to buy it for him. I did just that and 5 months later after he was released and shooting the rifle one Saturday morning and it blew. I was able to find 172 pieces of it two biggest pieces were the stock and about half the barrel.
Scared the crap out of me so I took it to a gun shop where my brothers was bought and had helped us all thru the Winchester mess with the blown rifle and traded it off.

Winchester tried to say it was the off brand ammo brother had been using but we know different today it was the bad firing pin and the round he was single feeding with out the mag went off when he released the bolt. Never the less they settled the case with brother. Brother did recover from his wounds, but can tell the stormy weather is coming today

Here is some information I got from reading part of the 11 page Winchester 100 recall thread you might find informative.

https://www.shootersforum.com/warning-notices-recalls/1662-winchester-model-100-recall.html

Call the special Winchester Model 100 Recall number at 1-800-852-5734. When you finally get through, and it took me about 1/2 a day, they can tell you over the phone if the repair has been done. Have your serial number ready and that's all you need.

Winchester also HIGHLY RECOMMENDS that the rifle not be fired if you are not sure if the recall was performed. Total cost to the consumer is the UPS or FED-EX shipping

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I had model 88 in .284 for years...

it's a great deer round. The Win factory 150gr ammo separated (exploded) on contact, 140 gr Nosler Partions went straight on thru, the 130 gr Speer HP or hot cor were perfect for 8 ring hits. I think the Noslers would be great for elk, but I never got there.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Ammo is out there from Winchester but it's limited and hard to find, so handloading is something to think about

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the info and being so welcoming. It is looking like I am gonna have to doe some research on reloading and do that.
@JBelk the checkering looks to be stamped but I am not sure how to tell for sure.
@alleyyooper thanks for the recall number. My grandpa said he never got the firing pin swapped so I am going to call today and deal with that.
Thanks again

·
Registered
827 Posts
I didn't do any thing really. I copied the number from the recall thread above is all.

·
Banned
90 Posts
I have a good friend that used to reload the .284 and used them in an old Savage 99. I was kicking around the notion of rebarreling a rifle in .284 because the performance that he had with it, however after not keeping in touch, his health failed and he sold everything. But all was not lost, i actually found them on Midway and Cabelas, but that was over a year ago. Check gun broker and Winchester direct, its a fine caliber because i shot my friend's Savage. They are hard to find, i dont know if its popularity or what, rifles that were for sale went for ALOT of money for what condition they were in. Im not above resurrecting a well worn gun, but, i cant ressurect a corpse. Example: saw one for sale $500, no barrell and no bolt, ammo is out there, its the search thats painful

·
Premium Member
14,342 Posts
The .284 was designed and built for short throw lever actions and autos because shorter strokes are more reliable. They're harder to make feed in bolt actions and many nice Mausers have been ruined trying.
Now that the proprietary brass is getting more difficult, it seems a good time to put it hospice.
Case CAPACITY determines performance. Build a .280 on a bolt action and be thrilled forever.

Reactions: Ricochet Rabbit

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,579 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,342 Posts
A different viewpoint is that the .425 Westley Richards started the 'craze' but it took a special action to accomplish.

Closely examine HOW a rebated rim cartridge feeds....Sav. 99 and Winchester 88 and 100s feed them without the bullet banging off the feed ramp. Not so most bolt actions. Look and see which are which.
It makes no difference if you single load, of course.

Westley Richards .425 feed system.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Welcome to the shooters forum.

Agree handloading is the best way to go. As mentioned the 6.5/.284 seems to be more popular than its parent. If you get into reloading the 6.5 cases can become .284s.

Came close to acquiring a Savage M99c in .284. Told him I'd take it if he decided to sell. My "buddy" traded it straight across for a used HiPoint 9mm. What a retard, with my offer, he could have bought 4 new HiPoints and had a few bucks leftover.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,579 Posts
The M99 because of it's rotary magazine has no real "feed ramp". As I don't have a 88 or 100 to look at I can't compare so I won't comment, but the 700 action I have a 300RUM in looks/acts/feeds no different than it's brethren in .223, .243, 25-06, Sevumag, 30-06, 35 Whelen . . . . . . . . . . . .

Just to my "untrained eye" of course

RJ

·
Premium Member
14,342 Posts
RJ---Just watch the point and ogive of the bullet. Does it richochet off anything on its way to the chamber. Does it hit the chamber?

The 88 and 100 don't have a feed ramp either and its pretty much a straight shot to the chamber.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The main complaint I had about my mod 88

was the "too short" magazine that would not allow the heavier bullets to be seated out far enough to get the best results from hand loading. I think if Winchester had kept tweaking the model 88, they'd still being selling them today, They really were nice to carry.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts