Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My #10 Speer Reloading Manual has a .30-30 load for TC pistol that uses 296 powder. 15.5gr start to 17.5gr max. This is for 130 gr Speer hollow point. Do you think I could try this load in my Marlin 1894 with 18" barrel? Thanks for advice.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,893 Posts
That's an awfully old manual to be using. Got anything a little newer? The Lyman 50th manual lists W-W 748 as best for the 130 gr. bullet. Sorry - this doesn't really answer your question, but the best I can do in the early morning hours.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I checked my newer manuals and the Hodgdon reloading site, I don't see any recommended loads for 30-30 using H110 /296. In an old Winchester book (1978) I found a load for a 110 grain bullet but none others.
Over the years I have used a lot of 296 and H110. It is simply the best powder I have found for magnum pistol cartridges.
I have found it to work best near the top of recommended loads as it gets erratic if the case is not filled at least 80% and you have to use a magnum primer to get consistent ignition.

If you feel like trying the load you found and you have the components I don't see why you shouldn't. If you are looking for a reduced velocity or light recoil load that should work. If you get any deviation in recoil, muzzle sound or "light" or delayed fires (hang fire) then stop and disassemble the loads.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked my newer manuals and the Hodgdon reloading site, I don't see any recommended loads for 30-30 using H110 /296. In an old Winchester book (1978) I found a load for a 110 grain bullet but none others.
Over the years I have used a lot of 296 and H110. It is simply the best powder I have found for magnum pistol cartridges.
I have found it to work best near the top of recommended loads as it gets erratic if the case is not filled at least 80% and you have to use a magnum primer to get consistent ignition.

If you feel like trying the load you found and you have the components I don't see why you shouldn't. If you are looking for a reduced velocity or light recoil load that should work. If you get any deviation in recoil, muzzle sound or "light" or delayed fires (hang fire) then stop and disassemble the loads.
Thanks for the reply. The load data was in the pistol reloading section of my old Speer manual.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's an awfully old manual to be using. Got anything a little newer? The Lyman 50th manual lists W-W 748 as best for the 130 gr. bullet. Sorry - this doesn't really answer your question, but the best I can do in the early morning hours.
748 is what I load normally. But, seeing the 296 load in the pistol section and no 748 to be found in my area for resupply...desperate times, desperate measures.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Do remember the warnings..and the debates on-line about the warnings...not to use 296 if the powder doesn’t fill most of the volume. Seems like this would be one of the times not to.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,006 Posts
My Speer #12 no longer lists that powder for the .30-30, so I'd guess it simply isn't a great choice. Either that or there has been no demand to re-test.

I think I'd find something else if possible.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Speer #12 no longer lists that powder for the .30-30, so I'd guess it simply isn't a great choice. Either that or there has been no demand to re-test.

I think I'd find something else if possible.
OK, I'll forget the 296 and get some new manuals!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I used to load .30-30 a lot and don't remember ever seeing 296 used. I loaded and shot a lot of IMR4198 and W748.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The H110/W296 twins were “popular” in loading manuals ~20+ ago, listed for cartridges like the .30-30, .45-70 etc. I tried them in the latter and discovered what a large ES really means...over 250 fps. As expected pressures were also very erratic. They work great in the .44 Mag, .357, .25-20 and .32 H&R where loading density is high, but generally work poorly in low density loads. IMO it’s just not appropriate in the .30-30 when more suitable fast powders like H4227 and SR4759 are (were) available.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,185 Posts
I tried 296 in the 30 Herrett in my Contender. The Herrett is a shortened 30-30, basically. Even in the smaller case and short barrel of the Contender, I got better results from the quick rifle powders. I didn't have a chronograph at the time, so I don't know what velocities and spreads were like, but the accuracy was not as good with the 296.

FWIW, published data for the Herrett uses a heavier charge than the 30-30 load you mentioned, but I have no idea what the max pressure is for the Herrett round.

As others have said, I'd try something else. There are so many good choices.

Reactions: roverboy

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
my first reaction to 296 in the .30-30 case was that load density would be poor and results erratic. My own choices run to Imr 4198, RL7 and H322.

·
Super Moderator
13,604 Posts
The H110/W296 twins were “popular” in loading manuals ~20+ ago, listed for cartridges like the .30-30, .45-70 etc. I tried them in the latter and discovered what a large ES really means...over 250 fps. As expected pressures were also very erratic.
That's what I would have expected. The case fill is in the 40-46% loading density range, right where Dr. Lloyd Brownell's study showed very erratic pressures, including, on rare occasions, pressures that were double the SAAMI limit. I would treat those old loads as potentially very dangerous to the shooter and gun.

Reactions: Darkker
1 - 13 of 13 Posts