Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys. I always liked the old articles like this. Which 3 gun battery would you choose for all game in North America would you choose, including rifle, scope and the like. After years of thought I built just that. Mine is the Remington 700 Classic in 220 Swift with Leopold 4.5x14, Remington 700 Classic 264 win. mag. with Leopold 3.5x10 and the Remington 700 Classic in 338 Win. Mag. With Leopold 2.5x8. with QR ring and bases with iron sites also. I choose the Classics because they fit me, right out of the box, they just fit. I have thought of a few changes I might have made but but keep going back to the old never second guess myself. What do you guys think. Give us your thoughts on the subject. Would like to here from all of you.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Welcome to ShootersForum, kbbgood. Rules are to be nice and join in.

We've had more than a few threads like this. They seem to go on forever and no two posts are ever the same. :)

My three guns would be:

22LR in a Marlin bolt-action
30-'06 in a Model 70
12 gauge in a Winchester or Mossberg pump

To my way of thinking, the 220Swift and 338WM are both specialty cartridges. Proper handloads from a 30-'06 could handle just about anything either of those might do. I like the idea of a rimfire I can harvest small edible game with and a shotgun for birds n' such. Nothing wrong with your choices, if they suit your hunting needs, but to be honest, I sure am glad we don't have to whittle it down to just 3 guns! :)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
kbbgood; I asked myself (basically) the same question. John Taylor in his book "African Rifles and Cartridges" speaks of having a two gun battery,,,,a large bore for the big game animals up close, and a medium bore for the lesser plains game. He also speaks highly of the 22lr as a necessity for small game. I got into leverguns a few years back, and decided to put together a three gun battery for North American hunting. The factory cartridges offered in lever guns seemed to fit the bill. I have a 444 for the large game up close, a 35 Remington for the longer shots, and a 22 lr for small game. For the type of hunting I do, this battery works out very well. "Your" type of hunting would dictate which three guns you would choose for your three gun battery. What I did, was to write down the type of game that I hunt, or whatever type of game I would "intend" to hunt, and the distances, and terrain that I would hunt under. I chose the 444 for hunting close in at ranges up to 100 yards. It is also suitable for the very thick cover that I hunt. The 35 Remington showed to be ideal for the more open woods and field edge shots that for me rarely exceed 150 yards, and of course the 22lr for small game...squirrel, rabbits and the like. What you hunt, and where you hunt will play a large part in the calibers you choose to get the job done.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
.45 Colt Freedom Arms
.308 Browning BLR
12 guage 870 Remington Police Grade

·
Registered
785 Posts
interesting stuff. my choices are Marlin 39. It breaks down into a very small package, fits almost anywhere, and shoots straight. I'll scope it this year to compensate. Ruger Redhawk in .44. And EITHER a 45/70 OR a Mossberg 500 12 with an assortment of barrels, which is a very good substitute for a 45/70. Mossbergs break down into very small packages too. If I had to I could live quite well with the first two, so that would be my two-gun battery. Then a 1911 could be the roundout arm since I always carry two hand guns in the Alaska woods. And the 45/70 is my actual woods carry... this is sounding like a 4 gun battery, but actually any one gun can stay behind and I can still get the job done.

fun topic.

Grizz

·
Registered
475 Posts
kbb--I posted similar thread called "optimization", as in getting the most with the least quantity of rifles and in general got alot of replies asking me why even go there, variety is the spice of life or such.... yes I like these kinds of threads, like most things in life, some people like em and some do not comprehend.

From your original post I assume you are NOT including shotguns (gauges) but rather only want calibers/rifles.

So I now say:

1) Savage Mark II F in 22 lr with Swift 4x32mm Compact Scope
2) Cooper Model 21 in 223 caliber with Zeiss Conquest 3x9 x 50
3) Weatherby Vanguard Sporter DBM in 30-06 caliber with a Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 BR

·
Registered
170 Posts
Remington Model 788 - 222 Rem - 4-16x42 Nikon Monarch with Mil-Dot

264 Win Mag - Remington Model 700 CDL SS - S&B Precision Hunter 3-12x42 - P3 mildot

375 H & H - Sako 85 Brown Bear - S&B Zenith 1.5-6X42 A8

·
Registered
291 Posts
Concerning a small, medium, and large centerfire
223ai
7RM
338RUM

Tinkering aside, I'd go 700, ADL style on the lot with leupolds.

·
Registered
877 Posts
3 Gun Battery

Kimber Model 82 in .22 LR w/Leupold Compact 3 x 9 AO
Remington 700 BDL in .280 Remington w/Zeiss 2.5 x 10 x 42 DiavariC
Remington 700 SS in .338 Winchester Magnum w/Zeiss 3 x 9 x 40 Diavari

Can't think of why I'd need anything else.:)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
well, lessee here.... :

first, if I can't reload it, I don't want it, so with that in mind :

(1) .22 Hornet in Ruger stainless w/ Laminated stock, 3x9 Leupold.

(2) 25-06 in a 17 Enfield 4x12 Leupold.

(3) 35 Whelan in a 17 Enfield 1.5 x 5 Leupold.

pretty simple, and would work well.....

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Winchester Model 70 .30-06
Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H
Remington 870 12 Ga

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
77/22, .22LR

No. 1 6.5 Swede

Red Label 12 gauge.

Just once I'd like a fishtank experiment with somebody to see how long they would truly make it if they had to live off the land. I bet it wouldn't be very long, especially up here in the winter.

·
Registered
330 Posts
.22 Ruger MKII pistol
.35 Whelen M77
.12 Gauge Browning BPS. (I guess if it really came down to it, the pump over my Red Label, That hurt to say that)

Mattsbox, I would bet you would probably be better armed with a couple of dozen small snares, far more efficient for survival if needed in picking up small game especially in the deep freeze. I agree it would be no small task depending on what you got to start with. -10 here tonight suppose to be -20 tomorrow night with out the wind chill.. Nothing easy about that if you don't have shelter..agreed "it wouldn't be very long" lol

·
Banned
605 Posts
.22 LR - Ruger 10/22 w/ Simmons .22 Mag scope, 3-9
.30-06 - My Springfield 1903 w/Weaver K4
20ga Double, Ithaca or perhaps my Win M24 double 12

·
Registered
475 Posts
Good posts. I have lived off the grid now for six years. My girlfriend loves growing food and I like to hunt and help grow things and raise things. Chickens and duck are easy to raise and provide great food supply and I stick with my 22 LR recommendation as far as an essential of the 3 gun battery.... It brings in food.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
GF- I was thinking it would be in the hours and not days of survival. I hear a lot of people talk about end of world scenarios and I'm just not that optimistic that buying a backpack and stuffing it with dehydrated water and have a place in the woods would be that smart.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Matts--- right you are.... You need to have regenerating, sustainable capabilities. Grow your own, make your own power, etc. It really is simple just need to do it. After about six years I can say I am so glad I live this way and not grid tied and sheep-like.

·
Registered
170 Posts
No offense ZOAR but if your off the grid then how are you on the web?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Matt; I would much rather be in the wild, than standing in bread lines in the city.....Now. I just might die in the wild, but at least I would be at peace.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts